NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - FRESH DOWN THERE PHASE NINETEEN!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Rather than do an expansion draft, we could also just do "relocation" of hockey players. For example, Beef takes over the Surge and moves them to Anti-Calgary. If someone wants to take a partially built defunct franchise, they can pull from existing players not yet taken. In both cases managers can drop players from their relocated team and pick from the existing unclaimed pool if desired.

That way no one loses any players but new teams get a full roster and some flexibility.

It's just all a little f***ed since we already did the keeper lists and no one said anything :laugh: I may have loosened my stance on expansion, but I am still firmly against wasting my time and energy.

The last time we did expansion we were allowed to have what? One player total taken or something like that?

That was obviously very early on in this whole thing so it's quite different now.

You have my permission to do what you think is best as you're really the one that runs the show and has to deal with everything but my only point is that the people that have spent hours at this thing shouldn't have to face a large scale upheaval of what they've put together for people that came in later.

Poll the newbies and see what they think is fair.

But I don't know that losing three players total is "large-scale upheaval." In fact, I know that it's not. Maybe I just hate hockey too much now and shouldn't be making this decision.

@Beef Invictus @Asnito @BigToe share your thoughts, please.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It's just all a little f***ed since we already did the keeper lists and no one said anything :laugh: I may have loosened my stance on expansion, but I am still firmly against wasting my time and energy.

But I don't know that losing three players total is "large-scale upheaval." In fact, I know that it's not. Maybe I just hate hockey too much now and shouldn't be making this decision.

Losing three players AND then the non keepers disappearing is though.

There's a compromise to be made there.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Ok all jokes aside, I'm sorry in advance but I'm actually off today with no plans so I can actually think about this.

We have 3 expansion teams yes? And the keeper list is not a protection list? Unkept players will be free game for all? Or are they going back on the team they came from if they don't get selected?

What is the current (contested) plan? What are the details of proponents vs opponents?

Ok all jokes aside, I'm sorry in advance but I'm actually off today with no plans so I can actually think about this.

We have 3 expansion teams yes? And the keeper list is not a protection list? Unkept players will be free game for all? Or are they going back on the team they came from if they don't get selected?

What is the current (contested) plan? What are the details of proponents vs opponents?
@Hollywood Cannon @Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

The idea right now is that each existing franchise can only lose three players total, and then the rest of their players will go back to them (and any unselected players will remain with the organization who chose them originally). The keeper list IS a protected list. Unkept players are free for expansion franchises in the expansion draft only. That's the current idea.

The only thing I understand about the opponents is that they feel that it is unfair for us to lose players after we spent so much time planning and thinking and picking. My only counter to that - and it isn't strong - is that losing three players isn't that big of a deal since we are protecting our high-end guys, and more importantly, we have to do something so we can fill out the rosters of those three expansion teams and move on to the next phase.

On a more fun note, it’s Thatcher Venmo’s birthday.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NEPHEW!

Losing three players AND then the non keepers disappearing is though.

There's a compromise to be made there.

You don't lose anyone after the three players - the unselected non-keepers go back to you.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I think defunct franchises should be ripe for the pillaging and if a new franchise takes a player you want, be prepared to pony up in a trade. There's no reason to protect teams that are no longer maintained.

I think current franchises should be capped at losing 3 players (1 player for each new team).
I think defunct franchise players and management should be free for new franchises to pillage but not the rest of the civilization tab

Yet I exist.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm just along for the ride. I don't want to make anyone angry. I especially don't want to anger Magua, even when I draft every player he gives up.

How many defuncts are there? Pillaging then first should probably be the priority, however we make that work.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
The idea right now is that each existing franchise can only lose three players total, and then the rest of their players will go back to them (and any unselected players will remain with the organization who chose them originally). The keeper list IS a protected list. Unkept players are free for expansion franchises in the expansion draft only. That's the current idea.

The only thing I understand about the opponents is that they feel that it is unfair for us to lose players after we spent so much time planning and thinking and picking. My only counter to that - and it isn't strong - is that losing three players isn't that big of a deal since we are protecting our high-end guys, and more importantly, we have to do something so we can fill out the rosters of those three expansion teams and move on to the next phase.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NEPHEW!

You don't lose anyone after the three players - the unselected non-keepers go back to you.
And what a are the current keeper rules? It seems like they've maybe changed since I put mine it. Is it still 2 lines and 2 D pairs and a goalie for both legends and currents?

I'm just along for the ride. I don't want to make anyone angry. I especially don't want to anger Magua, even when I draft every player he gives up.

How many defuncts are there? Pillaging then first should probably be the priority, however we make that work.
I have an idea for this which I will extend once I get all the info to form an comprehensive plan

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
And what a are the current keeper rules? It seems like they've maybe changed since I put mine it. Is it still 2 lines and 2 D pairs and a goalie for both legends and currents?

I have an idea for this which I will extend once I get all the info to form an comprehensive plan

The only difference is that I f***ed up by saying "four D pairs, two of each" - there are actually only three total, two of one (Current or Legend) and one of the other. The rest is the same.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

I have a few thoughts on this.

1. I'm easy with whatever you want to do.

2. The Toads are open for business. If there's a player you don't want to lose or would like to acquire I'm listening to all offers and my prices are very reasonable.

3. @Striiker let us talk young man.
d9btebd-a5387ef4-1d10-4523-b9b7-caa4702f6c94.gif

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
to you.
Why not put a cap on the number of players we select and then allow every other franchise the opportunity to draft 3(?) players from the defunct franchises. Keeps everyone involved and gives existing franchises something to look forward to.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Why not put a cap on the number of players we select and then allow every other franchise the opportunity to draft 3(?) players from the defunct franchises. Keeps everyone involved and gives existing franchises something to look forward to.

It's not a terrible idea, but I'm trying to keep this from becoming a logistical nightmare, in terms of the boxes.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Since @Magua is my literal soulmate, I would hate to see him upset. All I did was pick some nostalgic, mediocre "name drop" type 2000s players, but magz poured his heart and soul into those write ups even as an expansion himself. I believe we should honor those who did real, painstaking research and writeups. That's a lot of work to lose, even if it's just for fun. Just because some (most?) of us don't care what happens to our players, some do, and I think we should accommodate those people who don't want to see their work vanish.

Before I get into it, I want to thank everyone attending the September Meetings and appreciate this time on the floor to extend the proposition those here at Providence conjured:

PHASE 1: DEFUNCT PLAYER DRAFT - We will group all defunct players based on their line assignment (1st line, 2nd line, 3rd/4th line together, 1st pair, 2nd pair, 3rd pair) for both legends and current players. The 3 expansion teams will select from these groups to fill most of their legend and current lineups
  • Two 1st LINE players
  • One 1st PAIR player
  • Two 2nd LINE players
  • One 2nd PAIR player
  • Four 3rd/4th LINE players
  • Two 3rd PAIR players
  • 1 goalie
This means 12/20 skaters and 1/2 goalies will be selected from the defunct player pool for each team. There will 39 selections made during the DEFUNCT PLAYER draft.

PHASE 2: EXPANSION DRAFT - To supplement the rest of their legend and current lineups, the expansion teams can pick previously unselected players or dip into the expansion pool. The expansion pool consists of previously selected but unprotected players i.e. players not on teams' protection lists. If I reasoned this out right (please double check me), no team will be allowed to lose more than 2 players (and of those it might be a backup goalie). Each team will select to protect:
  • 9 current forwards
  • 6 current defensemen
  • 9 legend forwards
  • 6 legend defensemen
  • 1 current goalie
  • 1 legend goalie

FUTUREHEADS: all futureheads are protected. If an expansion team selects a player from your roster, you can elect to promote a futurehead to your active roster. Perhaps this would allow for a compensation pick in next year's futureheads draft? Maybe?

Thoughts?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Since @Magua is my literal soulmate, I would hate to see him upset. All I did was pick some nostalgic, mediocre "name drop" type 2000s players, but magz poured his heart and soul into those write ups even as an expansion himself. I believe we should honor those who did real, painstaking research and writeups. That's a lot of work to lose, even if it's just for fun. Just because some (most?) of us don't care what happens to our players, some do, and I think we should accommodate those people who don't want to see their work vanish.

Before I get into it, I want to thank everyone attending the September Meetings and appreciate this time on the floor to extend the proposition those here at Providence conjured:

PHASE 1: DEFUNCT PLAYER DRAFT - We will group all defunct players based on their line assignment (1st line, 2nd line, 3rd/4th line together, 1st pair, 2nd pair, 3rd pair) for both legends and current players. The 3 expansion teams will select from these groups to fill most of their legend and current lineups
  • Two 1st LINE players
  • One 1st PAIR player
  • Two 2nd LINE players
  • One 2nd PAIR player
  • Two 3rd PAIR players
  • 1 goalie
This means 12/20 skaters and 1/2 goalies will be selected from the defunct player pool for each team. There will 39 selections made during the DEFUNCT PLAYER draft.

PHASE 2: EXPANSION DRAFT - To supplement the rest of their legend and current lineups, the expansion teams can pick previously unselected players or dip into the expansion pool. The expansion pool consists of previously selected but unprotected players i.e. players not on teams' protection lists. If I reasoned this out right (please double check me), no team will be allowed to lose more than 2 players (and of those it might be a backup goalie). Each team will select to protect:
  • 9 current forwards
  • 6 current defensemen
  • 9 legend forwards
  • 6 legend defensemen
  • 1 current goalie
  • 1 legend goalie

FUTUREHEADS: all futureheads are protected. If an expansion team selects a player from your roster, you can elect to promote a futurehead to your active roster. Perhaps this would allow for a compensation pick in next year's futureheads draft? Maybe?

Thoughts?
I think I have a headache. Just take whomever you want from my pool of idiot players except for Tim Kerr and Flash “Gordon” Hollet.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

• Two 1st LINE players
  • One 1st PAIR player
  • Two 2nd LINE players
  • One 2nd PAIR player
  • Two 3rd PAIR players
  • 1 goalie

• 9 current forwards
  • 6 current defensemen
  • 9 legend forwards
  • 6 legend defensemen
  • 1 current goalie
  • 1 legend goalie

Thoughts?

I'm not against it. The only small problem I can think of is that there might not be enough decent players in the Defunct teams to make up the numbers you quoted above. The Pain and Bookworms didn't get very far with selections, and Shit Mountain made farce picks.

@Hollywood Cannon what do you think?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I'm not against it. The only small problem I can think of is that there might not be enough decent players in the Defunct teams to make up the numbers you quoted above. The Pain and Bookworms didn't get very far with selections, and Shit Mountain made farce picks.

@Hollywood Cannon what do you think?
I did think of that but I was perusing pretty hard to see if there was a decent crop. The biggest small issue I ran into was the CURRENT 3rd/4th forwards. BUT there are a an excess of goalies available. Perhaps we could say teams can substitute a goalie pick (i.e. select 2 goalies, a starter and backup, but not 2 starters) for one of their CURRENT 3rd/4th line forward players?

The legends are pretty strong

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

• Two 1st LINE players
  • One 1st PAIR player
  • Two 2nd LINE players
  • One 2nd PAIR player
  • Two 3rd PAIR players
  • 1 goalie

• 9 current forwards
  • 6 current defensemen
  • 9 legend forwards
  • 6 legend defensemen
  • 1 current goalie
  • 1 legend goalie

Thoughts?
This is more work though. Why not let those of us that don’t care for the players voluntarily let players go? The spreadsheet can say RIP in my players spots or some shit?

Who’s pick is it?

Reactions: ajgoal and BiggE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad