NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - FRESH DOWN THERE PHASE NINETEEN!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Pretty much all of my windows are failing. I don't think half of them on my lower level even open/stay open. I'm absolutely dreading it.
I absolutely believe in asking around for someone like a retired cop or something that does windows on the side.
Somebody that multiple people will vouch for their work.
The big companies are massive rip offs.

Who’s f***ing pick is it? I’m still waiting to make caps eye twitch.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I absolutely believe in asking around for someone like a retired cop or something that does windows on the side.
Somebody that multiple people will vouch for their work.
The big companies are massive rip offs.

Who’s f***ing pick is it? I’m still waiting to make caps eye twitch.

My eyes are already twitching. @ajgoal is up.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Buddy at work went to get 13 windows, including a large bow window. He was quoted 40k, but with 50% off at 20k.
Windows are stupid right now.
If you insist on the inspection in this market expect to have to house sell before your inspection is scheduled.
I am wholly against waiving the inspection and I can repair most things in or around homes, but it’s the big thing like foundation that I won’t waive for.
We got a quote from Anderson Windows to upgrade an abnormally sized (small) side entry door to our house. We got a "coupon" in the mail so figured it was worth a shot to see if they were competitive. They wanted $7,000. It's not even worth entertaining those name brand companies for quotes IMO.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
We got a quote from Anderson Windows to upgrade an abnormally sized (small) side entry door to our house. We got a "coupon" in the mail so figured it was worth a shot to see if they were competitive. They wanted $7,000. It's not even worth entertaining those name brand companies for quotes IMO.
Anderson was the company they chose not to go with, it was a significantly higher price.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I know other people are going to grab [RANCH] trucks or [LIVERWURST] trucks, because they have no imagination. No, it's not as good as the food from the original location, it's impossible to replicate the decades of grease baked into that flat top. But dammit, they're still really good. Who knew that you could get such great sandwiches outside of Philly, and on a kaiser roll?

636547423472821850-donkeystruckbest.jpg

Team Food Truck: Donkey's Place

@Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
@DancingPanther check the pipes. See that they're copper; if they are, be happy. If they're PVC, be concerned. PVC has a shelf life. If they are PEX, flee. PEX has a shelf life, and if installed badly can just catastrophically fail well before it should.

Check the main water service line. If it's copper, be happy. If it's anomalous plastic, get a protection plan. If it's blue or blue/gray plastic, be extremely worried and use that as a bargaining chip, get a protection plan, and pray the pipe holds long enough for the plan to kick in; chances are good it's already failed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Windows was on my list. They are f***ing insane. Excellent point about the paint

So the thing is inspections aren't always being done in this market which I hate. It's almost like a bargaining chip. "We'll give you $xxx,xxx but won't inspect it." But I am definitely pushing for one.

The good thing is if we're forced down that route this is def a stepping stone house, not a forever home, so....yeah. But still

On the subject of windows, examine them from the outside. Closely. Look for rot around the frames, especially rot that has just been painted over to hide it. Look for rot in general, really. Internally, look for bubbles in the paint. That can indicate a leak or water gathering. If there's siding, look closely for hail damage. It'll be a bunch of dents.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Trees! Are there dead trees nearby? Live trees that are leaning? Trees on a hill? Trees that can hit the house? How many? It's a minor miracle my parents' and grandparents' houses weren't annihilated by enormous trees several times over, and both had many close calls.

Power lines! Above ground? Below ground? How old is the breaker box? Is it a fuse box?

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
On this note, run from knob and tube wiring.
I'm in a century home and we knew coming in we had knob and tube. It actually wasn't that bad to manage as I had already planned to redo most of the walls upstairs (plaster and lathe) and remove the basement ceiling. Getting everything run wasn't too bad, outlets and switches are all where they need to be and I had them install network cabling at the same time so all my connections are hard wired instead of wifi.

Not saying it's something you go looking for, but it doesn't have to be a dealbreaker.

Canadian only caveat: Even though we had 20% down, we still had to buy mortgage insurance because of the knob and tube being there. That was the one thing that ticked me off about it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm in a century home and we knew coming in we had knob and tube. It actually wasn't that bad to manage as I had already planned to redo most of the walls upstairs (plaster and lathe) and remove the basement ceiling. Getting everything run wasn't too bad, outlets and switches are all where they need to be and I had them install network cabling at the same time so all my connections are hard wired instead of wifi.

Not saying it's something you go looking for, but it doesn't have to be a dealbreaker.

Canadian only caveat: Even though we had 20% down, we still had to buy mortgage insurance because of the knob and tube being there. That was the one thing that ticked me off about it.

I love whenever the property remodel shows have episodes in Canada because there's always wild stuff where builders seemingly went out of their way to spite building codes. My favorite was a house that had regular wiring around the outlets and switches and box (so if you opened things up and glanced around, it all looked up to speed) but when they pulled a wall down they discovered it was all knob and tube. It was a big ruse to fool inspectors.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Huge f***ing no. I would already put an offer down. I loved it. If not for the mold we found along with the wet spots in the basement corner in a tiny closet where the electrical box is, along with accompanying new paint job near it outside the closet door in the main part of the basement. And the ants. And the fact that the owners said they didn't have a water softener on the disclosure, but actually did?? And they replaced the roof in 2 separate installments 10 years apart? And they said there were no pest problems despite setting ant traps? And saying there was no water/mold issues? Did they just not go into the basement in 2 years? Wat

Here's an actual Real Fake Door. They patched a door and put a window in
20220805_115620.jpg

And here if we get a washer and dryer even 1/4" longer, the bathroom door won't shut
20220805_120113.jpg

Um...
20220805_113706.jpg
20220805_114116.jpg
20220805_114300.jpg

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I love whenever the property remodel shows have episodes in Canada because there's always wild stuff where builders seemingly went out of their way to spite building codes. My favorite was a house that had regular wiring around the outlets and switches and box (so if you opened things up and glanced around, it all looked up to speed) but when they pulled a wall down they discovered it was all knob and tube. It was a big ruse to fool inspectors.

Not a shocker. There are definitely some sketchy contractors here. My neighbour seems to hire all of them for his renovations too.

The seller for our house did say "they didn't think it was knob and tube", but anyone with an inkling knew that was dead wrong. None of the outlets had grounds, some rooms had no outlets with extension cords with multi-tap extensions run from one to the other, and you could see into the basement ceiling in a spot or two where cloth wire was. Even if by some miracle it wasn't knob and tube, it was so far from code you'd basically be doing 80% of the same work. How the house didn't burn down, I'll never know.

They had tried to hide a basement oil tank by building a wall around it. My agent "accidentally" pulled back part of the drywall and looked in to find it.

One of my "favourite" attributes of a past owner was to fix everything with packing tape. Found wiring in one corner that was covered in packing tape and painted over. Was fixing the drain under the bathroom sink and heard a weird crinkle, only to discover rather than drywall under the sink he covered a 3' by 2' area of the wall with packing tape and painted it.

I think I've unearthed most of his "fixes", but until I've undone every part of this house I'm never quite sure. He took this stuff to an art form.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Huge f***ing no. I would already put an offer down. I loved it. If not for the mold we found along with the wet spots in the basement corner in a tiny closet where the electrical box is, along with accompanying new paint job near it outside the closet door in the main part of the basement. And the ants. And the fact that the owners said they didn't have a water softener on the disclosure, but actually did?? And they replaced the roof in 2 separate installments 10 years apart? And they said there were no pest problems despite setting ant traps? And saying there was no water/mold issues? Did they just not go into the basement in 2 years? Wat

Here's an actual Real Fake Door. They patched a door and put a window in
View attachment 574973

And here if we get a washer and dryer even 1/4" longer, the bathroom door won't shut
View attachment 574974

Um...
View attachment 574975View attachment 574976View attachment 574977
Run, don’t walk, away from this house!

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
@DancingPanther check the pipes. See that they're copper; if they are, be happy. If they're PVC, be concerned. PVC has a shelf life. If they are PEX, flee. PEX has a shelf life, and if installed badly can just catastrophically fail well before it should.

Check the main water service line. If it's copper, be happy. If it's anomalous plastic, get a protection plan. If it's blue or blue/gray plastic, be extremely worried and use that as a bargaining chip, get a protection plan, and pray the pipe holds long enough for the plan to kick in; chances are good it's already failed.
Where is the main water service line usually located? Also, this was a mix of copper and pvc according to the disclosure. Is a mix worth being worried about?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad