NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - FRESH DOWN THERE PHASE NINETEEN!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Shoot and I’ll see what I can do. They’re just hanging out on stage now ahead of the show, the stage being set up in the middle of an enormous and very empty beachside parking lot where the daily open air market takes place every morning.
Throw Jojo a bone
1659642014779.png

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Turns out tonight's band is a rockabilly trio called The Fifty's. 3 sexagenarians in matching red and white striped bowling shirts and an American flag just out having a grand time. Lots of 50's & 60's rock 'n' roll--Elvis, Chuck Berry, Roy Orbison, and so on and so forth. Some oddities sprinkled in as well, namely T. Rex's (Bang a Gong) Get It On and the theme songs to Mission Impossible and Happy Days. As of yet, no ZZ Top. Maybe that's the encore.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Turns out tonight's band is a rockabilly trio called The Fifty's. 3 sexagenarians in matching red and white striped bowling shirts and an American flag just out having a grand time. Lots of 50's & 60's rock 'n' roll--Elvis, Chuck Berry, Roy Orbison, and so on and so forth. Some oddities sprinkled in as well, namely T. Rex's (Bang a Gong) Get It On and the theme songs to Mission Impossible and Happy Days. As of yet, no ZZ Top. Maybe that's the encore.
Are you an event organizer or something? Seems pretty cool

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Are you an event organizer or something? Seems pretty cool
Oh, gosh no. Sorry if I was unclear. I’m just something of a regular in a little French beach village on the Mediterranean (it’s like France and Alabama had a baby, and he grew up to be New Jersey) and they put on nightly concerts for the tourists, everything ranging from glorified karaoke to aging French Pop stars.

Last edited:

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Girl and I are looking at a house today. Any general tips/how to phrase probing questions? This is all happening very quickly
Don't worry about probing questions, just ask whatever comes to mind. It's a big f***ing deal to buy a house, so there are absolutely no dumb questions. Unless you are a home inspector or a structural engineer you probably won't notice any of the possible "hidden" issues, but otherwise look for normal stuff like standing water or evidence of such, mold, termite damage, abnormal cracks, murderous neighbors, really old and outdated electrical/HVAC/roof/etc, ghosts, and just general weird shit. Good luck.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Girl and I are looking at a house today. Any general tips/how to phrase probing questions? This is all happening very quickly
Just be careful, realtors will tell you what you want to hear just to make a sale. So don’t worry about phrasing, just ask whatever you like.

Make sure you ask the following
Age of home & type of construction
If it’s an older home, how old is the roof and how old is the hvac system
Tax history
Look for any signs of water damage, especially if the home has a basement
If a newer home, is it pre-wired to be a smart home

Also check out recent sales for homes in the neighborhood to gauge if the asking price is fair. Good luck!!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Football is back, and so are we. Giddy up!

horse-ball.gif

@ajgoal is still on the clock until he makes his pick or the clock hits 3:08 p.m. I am on deck just being super patient, as always. @Magua is on the lido deck scaring beautiful women. @Hurricane28 is on the lido afterdeck blowing branches off of trees. F***ing climate change, innit.

Football is "back," right, but I was reminded last night of how terrible preseason games are. They had Jason Garrett on there, and if you know me at all, you know that I have no love for Jason Garrett - he was my backup QB for three championships, but then he went on to f*** up my team for an eternity as a coach. He started the night basically yelling into the microphone, but to his credit he did adjust and spoke more normally after someone presumably had a word in his ear about it. His stories were decent, if too long, and he had a frozen grin on his face like the Joker. It was a mixed bag, to say the least, but he could work out. Maybe. He's better than Drew Brees already.

The other football starts this weekend too, which means that it's time for pants-shitting nerves to start every weekend again. Still - it's worth it. The f***ers at NBC, though, are putting the two marquee teams, Liverpool and Abu Dhabi Sportswashers Inc., on f***ing Peacock. NBC grabbing for every greasy dollar they can get? No way! They f***ing suck. This is not the way you grow the sport. F***ing idiots.

Anyway, have a nice day.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
- Is it in a flood zone (Your insurance premium will skyrocket if so)
- age of roof/associated warranty
- Look for installation dates on HVAC units and water heater. If you don't see them, ask.
- Ditto major appliances
- Check the electrical service panel size
- History of murders/hauntings
- Are there any secret passages

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

Ask probing questions of each other? The owner? Your agent? The selling agent? For anyone except your girlfriend, I'd say just be direct. You're the buyer and you need to have all the facts to make the best decision for you. For the investment you're making, straightforward honesty is needed.

The points above are all great. If you're really interested in a specific house, getting a home inspector is well worth it because, well, people either lie and/or are dumb. Our few hundred dollars for a home inspection cut over ten grand off our home cost that then went to fixing said issue. Even if they find nothing wrong, it's good to be able to budget that you likely won't have major repairs in your first few years.

Perhaps not to your original question, but one of the things we did together in advance of house hunting was create a list of needs/wants/perks in advance of looking. Sometimes a very compelling element can make you fall for a house and you can talk yourself into neglecting a need (usually easier when it is your partner's). Make sure you know what your house has to have for both of you and don't buy something that doesn't check everything in that list.

Good luck and happy hunting!

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

Don't defer to the realtor. He/she is working for you.

Everyone else covered the major stuff, so one small thing I would add is that if any smaller areas of fresh paint catch your eye, ask what happened. That's one of the more subtle signs of issues.

I also like to check some windows -- open them, look for damage or cracks, etc. Windows are hilariously expensive. You can even catch issues with the foundation this way.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
If there is a vent outside have girl flush a toilet while your standing above it. You should hear the water rushing by.
On the highest floor of the house pay attention to the ceiling for any leak repairs, any ceiling really.
Look in access panels for shoddy recent plumbing work.
The lowest end of the block will get all the rain run off.
Trees on the property will block your drain if they are on the same side, aka main drain goes out front and tree in front yard prepare to get the drain snaked every so often and then replaced.
Look for water marks in the basement.

You can call a house inspecting agency, ask them if they can come with you “unofficially” for some cash on the side. They won’t be able to give you any legit reports but might be able to spot a major issue

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Don't defer to the realtor. He/she is working for you.

Everyone else covered the major stuff, so one small thing I would add is that if any smaller areas of fresh paint catch your eye, ask what happened. That's one of the more subtle signs of issues.

I also like to check some windows -- open them, look for damage or cracks, etc. Windows are hilariously expensive. You can even catch issues with the foundation this way.
Windows was on my list. They are f***ing insane. Excellent point about the paint

Ask probing questions of each other? The owner? Your agent? The selling agent? For anyone except your girlfriend, I'd say just be direct. You're the buyer and you need to have all the facts to make the best decision for you. For the investment you're making, straightforward honesty is needed.

The points above are all great. If you're really interested in a specific house, getting a home inspector is well worth it because, well, people either lie and/or are dumb. Our few hundred dollars for a home inspection cut over ten grand off our home cost that then went to fixing said issue. Even if they find nothing wrong, it's good to be able to budget that you likely won't have major repairs in your first few years.

Perhaps not to your original question, but one of the things we did together in advance of house hunting was create a list of needs/wants/perks in advance of looking. Sometimes a very compelling element can make you fall for a house and you can talk yourself into neglecting a need (usually easier when it is your partner's). Make sure you know what your house has to have for both of you and don't buy something that doesn't check everything in that list.

Good luck and happy hunting!
So the thing is inspections aren't always being done in this market which I hate. It's almost like a bargaining chip. "We'll give you $xxx,xxx but won't inspect it." But I am definitely pushing for one.

The good thing is if we're forced down that route this is def a stepping stone house, not a forever home, so....yeah. But still

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Windows was on my list. They are f***ing insane. Excellent point about the paint

So the thing is inspections aren't always being done in this market which I hate. It's almost like a bargaining chip. "We'll give you $xxx,xxx but won't inspect it." But I am definitely pushing for one.

The good thing is if we're forced down that route this is def a stepping stone house, not a forever home, so....yeah. But still
Buddy at work went to get 13 windows, including a large bow window. He was quoted 40k, but with 50% off at 20k.
Windows are stupid right now.
If you insist on the inspection in this market expect to have to house sell before your inspection is scheduled.
I am wholly against waiving the inspection and I can repair most things in or around homes, but it’s the big thing like foundation that I won’t waive for.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

It was the same in our market, but we did ours prior to offer (meaning we didn't make the offer contingent to an inspection). As lending rates are going up, power is shifting away from sellers back to buyers so if you're not in a rush to buy and have the patience, stick to your guns and try to get what you want.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Buddy at work went to get 13 windows, including a large bow window. He was quoted 40k, but with 50% off at 20k.
Windows are stupid right now.
If you insist on the inspection in this market expect to have to house sell before your inspection is scheduled.
I am wholly against waiving the inspection and I can repair most things in or around homes, but it’s the big thing like foundation that I won’t waive for.
Pretty much all of my windows are failing. I don't think half of them on my lower level even open/stay open. I'm absolutely dreading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad