NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - FRESH DOWN THERE PHASE NINETEEN!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Do it like this with players you want to KEEP:

CURRENT FORWARDS
Line 1
LW Name
C Name
RW Name
Line 2
LW Name
C Name
RW Name

CURRENT D
Pair 1
LD Name
RD Name
Pair 2
LD Name
RD Name

CURRENT G
Name

Do expansion teams get extra protection slots, since our rosters are thinner? Like Vegas not having to give up a player to Seattle?

I'm trying to negotiate! An extra protection spot? Two? A line? Help me help you!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Do expansion teams get extra protection slots, since our rosters are thinner? Like Vegas not having to give up a player to Seattle?

I'm trying to negotiate! An extra protection spot? Two? A line? Help me help you!

I actually wouldn't mind if you didn't have to expose anyone - same for mja and Striiker, actually. I just didn't think of it before. Well, except that we are shrinking our player rosters down, so you could only keep half of what you have anyway. Like we aren't going to be re-filling the boxes after the expansion draft - we are permanently reducing the rosters. It makes more sense this way. I'll have to have a think about the futures later.

You should all review that and confirm that it makes sense - I am sleepy as balls.

As a reminder for the memory-impaired, are the current players at their career peaks or WYSIWYG?

The former, and I have no idea what the latter means.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I actually wouldn't mind if you didn't have to expose anyone - same for mja and Striiker, actually. I just didn't think of it before. Well, except that we are shrinking our player rosters down, so you could only keep half of what you have anyway. Like we aren't going to be re-filling the boxes after the expansion draft - we are permanently reducing the rosters. It makes more sense this way. I'll have to have a think about the futures later.

You should all review that and confirm that it makes sense - I am sleepy as balls.

What you see is what you get, Cap. Also, pick and keepers and house story incoming

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
WYSIWYG = what you see is what you get

CURRENT FORWARDS
Line 1
LW - Gabriel Landeskog
C - Sidney Crosby
RW - Patrick Kane
Line 2
LW - Joe Thornton
C - Jean-Gabriel Pageau
RW - Wayne Simmonds

CURRENT D
Pair 1
LD - Mark Giordano
RD - Alex Pietrangelo
Pair 2
LD - Mattias Ekholm
RD - Josh Manson

CURRENT G
G - Shannon Szabados

LEGEND FORWARDS
Line 1
LW - Paul Henderson
C - Sid Abel
RW - George Armstrong
Line 2
LW - Henry Maracle
C - Cammi Granato
RW - Willie O'Ree

LEGEND D
Pair 1
LD - Doug Wilson
RD - Geraldine Heaney

LEGEND G
G - Ken Dryden

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
CURRENT FORWARDS
Line 1
LW Kyle Connor
C Brayden Point
RW Brendan Gallagher
Line 2
LW Alex Newhook
C Nico Hischier
RW Val Nichushkin

CURRENT D
Pair 1
LD Thomas Chabot
RD Jared Spurgeon
Pair 2
LD Sam Girard
RD Timothy Liljegren

CURRENT G
Ilya Samsonov

===================

@Striiker note the time period of my selections other than one of my favorite players in Fetisov (Coffey played well into the 90s and remained effective, Tretiak was ahead of his time and actually played in the butterfly sometimes)

LEGEND FORWARDS
Line 1
LW Snoop Dogg
C Pavel Datsyuk
RW Petr Nedved
Line 2
LW Jordin Tootoo
C Eric Belanger
RW Branko Radivojovic

LEGEND D
Pair 1
LD Paul Coffey
RD Slava Fetisov
Pair 2
LD John-Michael Liles
RD Freddy Meyer IV

LEGEND G
Vladislav Tretiak

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I sort of understand. But do we really want to shrink our rosters by half and delete things from the Quackverse? We’re about adding, not deleting! There has to be a way to solve this.

Okay, Biff and Toff need 40 players combined for each current and legend roster, yes? To form 4 FWD lines, 3 D pairs (we have 4, but I’m okay with fixing that pre-expansion), and 2 Gs. If we include the Pain and Bookworms, who have been gone for probably a year and a half, that’s 20 teams. They each take 1 player from each team.

Maybe the expansion teams can swap a player with a defunct original team too (rubs hands greedily) as a workaround for thinner depth. At this point, every team would have 2 less players — except for Boff and Tiff, who can then drop 2 players after they draft. There’s some snags like if someone takes your G, but I think there’s a path here to keep most of our players and still field good expansion lineups. We can use the defunct teams to fill, if needed. Frankly, they’re just sitting there in stasis, and they’d need to lose players anyway if they ever cryogenically thawed.

EDIT: I realized Bookworms and Pain only have half a team. And Beavers and Surge should need to expose people too. The logistics escape me while making dinner, but there’s surely some way.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

HC despises this idea. Do with that information what you must.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
There are infinite phases yet to come, thus there are infinite people, places, things, ideas and nightmares to still bring to our beloved Quackverse. So why lament getting rid of a few imbecilic hockey players? Hockey is unbelievably stupid.
Here, have a dram of our Team Alcoholic Beverage for that excellent point:

960x0.jpg

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There are infinite phases yet to come, thus there are infinite people, places, things, ideas and nightmares to still bring to our beloved Quackverse. So why lament getting rid of a few imbecilic hockey players? Hockey is unbelievably stupid.

I know we joke, but a lot of us put research into this, especially with legend players. And wrote detailed posts about them. I feel like there has to be a workaround to halving our teams and erasing things.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Decades after selecting Logan Cooley as the first overall pick in the FRESH DOWN THERE PHASE NINETEEN! Quackverse draft, it has finally come time for the Plats to choose the final pick and round out the phase. Bookending the reboot FRESH DOWN THERE PHASE NINETEEN! is an honor we here in Providence can hardly articulate. We simply extend our hardy thanks to Cap.

Ironically, this is one of the hardest selections I have ever made. I wanted so badly to draft my college food truck. I could walk up to that place right now and ____ and _____ would recognize me immediately, and depending on the time of day, would still remember my order even after 5 years. Why am I saying this? Because I feel it a grand honor for this food truck to be even mentioned in the mythos of the Quackverse, even if not selected officially. They deserve it, and perhaps still have a chance at blasting off with us in future phases.

However, it is with great pleasure I introduce our food truck: ORDINARY SAUSAGE. This elegantly mustachioed man's quest is to turn anything into a sausage, and you can peruse for yourself. Notably, there's this one in honor of our Aussie namesake:

Everything from blood to water to wagyu beef to fast food meals (sometime sous vide) to aloe vera to candy to anything in between, sometimes mixed with pork for authenticity, sometimes not... Mr. Sausage has been sausaging a couple times per week for years, and there is no end in sight. This culinary chaos knows no limits and is an adventure every single time - sometimes yielding 5/5 sausages, and sometimes 1/5. There's only one way to find out

And with that, we await phase 20

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@Striiker note the time period of my selections other than one of my favorite players in Fetisov (Coffey played well into the 90s and remained effective, Tretiak was ahead of his time and actually played in the butterfly sometimes)
Speaking of time periods, imagine a present day player looking like this. No wonder someone like Clarke leads the franchise in points. Goalies were just some random guy off the street.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
And now, the house story

Girl and I as you guys know have been losing to cash for about 6 weeks. Three 2nd place finishes and a 3rd place. We've been looking in the $300k range and watching those houses go for $320-340k cash offers extended by empty nesting, downsizing boomers who have that saved up and/or just sold their house. Around here this translates to 1970s era, recently and nicely updated with new bathrooms and kitchens, usually with a nice lower level with a wood burning stove.

So we decided to bump up our price range to the $350k range. These houses are not split level and instead are moderately sized 2 story houses constructed in this century (typically). We figured since the houses we were seeing went for almost this amount anyway, why not. But most importantly, we could dodge the boomer cash demographic.

We found a listing at $350k and loved it. Offered $370k for it (2 houses in the neighborhood have gone for $360k and $380k this summer so we split the difference). We saw the house on Friday evening, and on Saturday evening found out there was still no offers on the house. We extended our offer Sunday AM after our mortgage guy got us the paperwork, and then a few hours later heard from our realtor that they were presenting offers that night.

That evening, our realtor said they were interested in negotiating.

Our offer: $370k, closing in 45 days, and offered them 2 additional months to stay in the house after closing, with them paying us back our mortgage.
Their counter: $370k, with a 30 day contingency period. If after 30 days they think they can or have found a house, we close 45 days after that. If not, then they can say jk lol we're not selling. Essentially, they're trying to strong arm what is likely a) their only offer and b) definitely their strongest since they're negotiating with us only a few hours after it came in. And they countered with what is a 30 day hostage period for us.
Our response: We're giving you $20k over listing. Go f*** yourself. Take it or leave it

10 minutes before they announced they would decide, the listing agent told our realtor they're taking the house off the market. So they wasted their realtor's time, and he was pissed. He also was probably saying they were crazy for not taking our offer, which also probably pissed him off. Our realtor tells us and is also pissed, "these people are outrageous"

I'm glad we stood our ground because it's obvious they were going to flake on the sale 30 days from now if we took their counter and cost us 30 house hunting days. Our intuition with the whole thing was right on point, from identifying the sheisty counter offer to correctly evaluating the next price bracket up would get us away from the cash boomer demographic. Girl is a savage: "I can't wait for those idiots to list their house again so we can offer $10k under listing" lol

This adventure is like a long flight to a tropical vacation. It's exciting and fun going to the airport and starting the journey and getting on the plane....but after 6 hours of sitting on the plane on your 9 hour flight, you're kind of sick of it and just want to get there. Excited, but want to just get there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad