NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – TITILLATING PHASE TWENTY-FOUR!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The internet is dumb and bad. So is Diablo 4.

I want to be able to cobble together ridiculous builds that somehow work. The game is not designed for that. If you just want to play various archetypes, it has flexibility. If you want to make a particular skill work in completely different ways on completely different classes in order to find the one you like the best, you cannot do that.

The example I like to give is Essence Drain + Contagion builds in PoE. I've played it on 8 out of the 19 Ascendancy Classes over the years. Most feel meaningfully different than the others. If you want to throw Traps, you don't necessarily play the Trap Class. You can do that, but you can play it in other ways too. Some will have much better clear. Some will be tankier. Some will be complete glass cannons that fall over to any hit from any mob, but kill endgame bosses in less than 2 seconds.

Or take Tornado Shot. I can play it on various classes. I can convert it into a Poison DoT build. I can keep it purely Physical. I can do a full Cold conversion and freeze everything in sight with enough damage. That's what build variety means to me. I understand that's not a universal truth, but I can't change what I personally enjoy. I like puzzles that challenge me.

Ok, but when I played PoE last month my witch got killed by the first boss on the beach, so it's a shitty game.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Team nutssssss - Macadamias

@ajgoal

You did it, Toe, you did it! The one millionth person to select Macadamia nuts!

28b38d106118a84ae47b739a6dcc3b59.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For some reason, they went back and made Acts 1 and 2 much harder. The hardest part of leveling is the 3rd zone of the game, Mud Flats. I died 3 times in that zone today leveling my league starter.

Back to Blizzard, it cracks me up to see the massive gnashing of teeth over predictable and reasonable changes while every time I turn around I swear PoE is completely different in every way from the last time I played. Which would be a bonus, except that I never learn the game well enough for that to be an interesting change of pace and it just means I'm always back at square one. But these Blizzardheads have no clue how much "worse" it can get.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Back to Blizzard, it cracks me up to see the massive gnashing of teeth over predictable and reasonable changes while every time I turn around I swear PoE is completely different in every way from the last time I played. Which would be a bonus, except that I never learn the game well enough for that to be an interesting change of pace and it just means I'm always back at square one. But these Blizzardheads have no clue how much "worse" it can get.

That's just people going nuts over middling issues. The current common complaint is that they're not shaking the meta up enough. :laugh:

But in all seriousness, nothing they change before PoE2 will impact anyone but the advanced players. Everyone else should pick a guide from a good content creator and just do it. They'll work that stuff out for you. It's mostly corner cases like how to get enough Mana Reservation Efficiency to keep running the same auras when they change something.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's just people going nuts over middling issues. The current common complaint is that they're not shaking the meta up enough. :laugh:

But in all seriousness, nothing they change before PoE2 will impact anyone but the advanced players. Everyone else should pick a guide from a good content creator and just do it. They'll work that stuff out for you. It's mostly corner cases like how to get enough Mana Reservation Efficiency to keep running the same auras when they change something.

The problem is I like to go my own way; and that's a big thing to grasp in PoE. Easy, very easy in D4. Or so I thought until I read the internet and learned that apparently nobody can figure out anything but one build per class. Inspecting players in-game usually yields gear that has no synergy with anything I can imagine, so I guess that's the norm.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Toe goes "Gimme macadamia nuts, too," and the internet was like "Hold on, Toe," and then Toe was all "Gimme all deze tigers' nuts." Epic.

tiger.gif

I have ajgoal's pick, so we start the day with @CanadianFlyer88 on the clock, @BiggE on deck, pit on the lidopit, and DancingPanther on the lido afterdeckpit. Hopefully @Strawberry Fields is doing OK.

I watched the first "Kingsman" film again last night, so that I could watch the next two (which I haven't seen) finally. I still liked it as much as the first time, which is to say that it's not perfect, but it's pretty good. Matthew Vaughn is a good director, innit.

Anyway, gotta go.

ajgoal's pick:

"There are two key characteristics of a slow dance. It's awesome, and it's awkward. You're dancing with someone you ostensibly have a thing for, but you're not sure if they feel the same, if they felt too guilty to turn you down, or if you were their last available option. But either way, you're wrapping your arms around them, feeling all of your emotions all at once. Why not make it last as long as humanly possible?

"The DJ played this as one of the last songs at almost every one of our high school dances. As a bonus, you and your partner spend the last minute or so figuring out what are we supposed to do now?

"Team Slow Dance Song: Stairway to Heaven"

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Toe goes "Gimme macadamia nuts, too," and the internet was like "Hold on, Toe," and then Toe was all "Gimme all deze tigers' nuts." Epic.

tiger.gif

I have ajgoal's pick, so we start the day with @CanadianFlyer88 on the clock, @BiggE on deck, pit on the lidopit, and DancingPanther on the lido afterdeckpit. Hopefully @Strawberry Fields is doing OK.

I watched the first "Kingsman" film again last night, so that I could watch the next two (which I haven't seen) finally. I still liked it as much as the first time, which is to say that it's not perfect, but it's pretty good. Matthew Vaughn is a good director, innit.

Anyway, gotta go.

ajgoal's pick:

"There are two key characteristics of a slow dance. It's awesome, and it's awkward. You're dancing with someone you ostensibly have a thing for, but you're not sure if they feel the same, if they felt too guilty to turn you down, or if you were their last available option. But either way, you're wrapping your arms around them, feeling all of your emotions all at once. Why not make it last as long as humanly possible?

"The DJ played this as one of the last songs at almost every one of our high school dances. As a bonus, you and your partner spend the last minute or so figuring out what are we supposed to do now?

"Team Slow Dance Song: Stairway to Heaven"

answer: fire up a fat one

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Um, ok, go ahead Ric (may God forgive me)
1692464599043.gif

Oh baby, what’s causing all this!?!? WOOOO!!!
Team veg, ha, guess Eric Bischoff doesn’t qualify, WOOO!!!
1692464619272.gif

Ok, it’s almost as hot and spicy as the Nature Boy ladies, WOOOO! The official team veggie of Ric Flair, the Four Horsemen and the Jacksonville Methgators is….DATIL PEPPERS!!!
1692464656752.jpeg

You know @pit , you aren’t talking to me, rather
View attachment 1692464720538.gif

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
The problem is I like to go my own way; and that's a big thing to grasp in PoE. Easy, very easy in D4. Or so I thought until I read the internet and learned that apparently nobody can figure out anything but one build per class. Inspecting players in-game usually yields gear that has no synergy with anything I can imagine, so I guess that's the norm.

Pretty much everyone agrees it should be much easier to respec during the campaign for this exact reason. The community it holding out hope that they fix this for PoE 2.

Complicated games that require knowledge and patience?

no. absolutely not. not here.

I shoot, I get kill
I shoot, I score goal

Easy.

I'm so bad at shooters that my wife refuses to play them with me. :laugh:

(I also don't like them, but enjoy the laugh at my expense.)

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Nothing wrong with that, There's a lot of people who've played them regularly for more than a decade who are still awful at them.

Some people just don't fit with certain types of games. I can't even begin to play games like League of Legends, Rocket League, PoE, Fortnite, and so on. FPS games are a good fit for me because I like to be fast, aggressive, and competitive.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Pretty much everyone agrees it should be much easier to respec during the campaign for this exact reason. The community it holding out hope that they fix this for PoE 2.

My wife wanted to play them with me because she thought she was good. I "killed" her about 35 times before she even landed a shot on me.

I don't think we've played since.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
My wife wanted to play them with me because she thought she was good. I "killed" her about 35 times before she even landed a shot on me.

I don't think we've played since.

I think it would be this imbalanced (or more) if we tried, but in her favor. She plays in groups with some pros. Meanwhile I'm used to having my mouse DPI jacked up so high that I can't aim effectively. I don't even know how to describe how bad this is to someone who isn't used to PC gaming.

@Striiker My mouse DPI is set to 3,000. 4" of movement moves across 3 whole monitors. And my mouse works like this because I'm trying to avoid wrist problems. :laugh:

hero-image.fill.size_1200x1200.v1623372738.jpg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
PzFZzBI.gif

FPS games bore me these days. I took a long break before dropping hot in Verdansk. Boys got into it, so I did too. I haven’t touched Warzone II since the winter. I wish I was a PC gamer at this point for the breadth of options. Even a game like Tarkov would be more my speed from an FPS standpoint.
I haven't played Warzone in a long time but I'm loving DMZ. It's an extraction mode that's basically CoD and Tarkov mixed.

@Striiker My mouse DPI is set to 3,000. 4" of movement moves across 3 whole monitors. And my mouse works like this because I'm trying to avoid wrist problems. :laugh:

hero-image.fill.size_1200x1200.v1623372738.jpg
What the hell is that monstrosity, Jojo? I'd rather just have wrist problems.

My DPI is 1600, which is apparently abnormally high, according to the people on CounterStrike. Most use between 400 and 800 on there. Can't even imagine 3000. :laugh:

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I haven't played Warzone in a long time but I'm loving DMZ. It's an extraction mode that's basically CoD and Tarkov mixed.

My DPI is 1600, which is apparently abnormally high, according to the people on CounterStrike. Most use between 400 and 800 on there. Can't even imagine 3000. :laugh:

Erm. I was wrong. It's 3200.

But yes, I know how ridiculous it is. I use keyboard shortcuts for everything I can possibly find room for, so I'm just trying to get back to the keyboard as quickly as I can.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I feel like Baldur’s Gate 3 is a game I could f*** with.

I’ve played DMZ. I just find it kind of shallow and boring. Maybe it’s been improved since launch. It’s not like I’m not a solid FPS guy, but the most fun I’ve had is in 3rd person WZ.

My friend who is a DayZ diehard is taking me and another friend on some adventures right now. That will entertain me temporarily.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I feel like Baldur’s Gate 3 is a game I could f*** with.

I’ve played DMZ. I just find it kind of shallow and boring. Maybe it’s been improved since launch. It’s not like I’m not a solid FPS guy, but the most fun I’ve had is in 3rd person WZ.

My friend who is a DayZ diehard is taking me and another friend on some adventures right now. That will entertain me temporarily.
Yeah, they’ve added a lot but if you didn’t like it then you might still be unimpressed.

Like I said, it’s basically an easier to access Tarkov, with CoD gunplay. Maybe an acquired taste.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I don't know how anyone set on 400 can aim without running out of desk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad