NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – HISTORIC PHASE TWENTY!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm going to take the home field.

Screenshot-2021-07-09-at-13.52.49-600x348.jpg

Team Franchise Stadium Series Location - Anfield

@ajgoal

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
So many good possible choices. A couple that might even be definitive in the artists' careers. I hope we get to do this one a few more times.

Team Cover Song II: Hazy Shade of Winter (The Bangles)

Look around, leaves are brown @BigToe

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
So many good possible choices. A couple that might even be definitive in the artists' careers. I hope we get to do this one a few more times.

Team Cover Song II: Hazy Shade of Winter (The Bangles)

Look around, leaves are brown @BigToe

Was literally rolling this around in my head this morning as XPN played the original. I have yet to figure out what I'm doing in this category, or any of the remaining categories for that matter.

Great choice, you can never have too much Susanna Hoffs

Fully agreed, hence her selection to the second NJFZ Super Group, the Star-Crossed Lovers.

Edit: Not cover band! Although that would be a cool future category.

Last edited:

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Was literally rolling this around in my head this morning as XPN played the original. I have yet to figure out what I'm doing in this category, or any of the remaining categories for that matter.

Fully agreed, hence her selection to the second NJFZ Cover band, the Star-Crossed Lovers.
See, I specifically didn't take [RANCH] as I have the singer already. No need for a recording.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
Prince Edward Island
Team Serial Killer

John Matrix

FOI9OfHWQAcesNQ

@Striiker

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
The Chimps are loyal (and sometimes they also get lazy).

For Sports Team Fandom, we're sticking with the hometown: Chicago Cubs.

If they can go over a century without a championship, we don't have to worry too hard when GM Doug tanks the team almost as bad as He Who Shall Not Be Fletched.

@mja , we're your biggest fandom.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I've been agonizing over Team Cover Song II when it hit me this morning that I've been going about it the wrong way. I've been considering any number of iconic covers, such as [Ranch] or [Liverwurst], but I wasn't really in love with any of those ideas. No, the best advice as always is "Keep it simple, stupid." So I asked myself: what's a cover song that has a lot of meaning for me? Then it hit me immediately. It also connects back to my first Team Cover Song, in a very roundabout way. An added bonus is that who's to really say which version is the cover and which is the original? I'm a fan of interesting philosophical questions.

Mary Lou Lord is a folk singer from Boston. She is perhaps most famous for having briefly dated Kurt Cobain just as he was about to go from relative obscurity to international icon. She also befriended the brilliant Elliott Smith just as he was about to go from relative obscurity to a somewhat smaller scale icon. He apparently wrote the following song in about 10 minutes, recorded a version that was never released while he was still alive, dismissed it as a silly pop song, and then gave it to his sweet-voiced friend, Mary Lou.

Team Cover Song II: I Figured You Out

This was released in early 97, just at the moment my life would become a soap opera. I quite literally lived this song and it was on every mixtape and setlist I made that year. Later, I watched Mary Lou perform live busking at CMJ, and bonded over this song with this girl who was also just out of a treacherous relationship. We're still hanging out together and this remains one of our faves. Creating your own meaning out of the wreckage of emotional disaster is very much in keeping with the spirit of the Flaming Zeppelins.

Here's Elliott's version, which I believe was recorded first but released only well after his death, 20 years later than the cover. Incidentally, Smith, like Cobain, committed suicide under somewhat suspicious circumstances, with many blaming his significant other. Dude apparently stabbed himself in the heart. f***ing hell.

@Lord Defect, Kid Rock this ain't

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thanks to Rebel, I only need to sell 199 more t-shirts to survive.

AggravatingBaggyDungbeetle-size_restricted.gif

We start the day with @Lord Defect on the clock, @GKJ on deck, @JojoTheWhale on the lido deck, and Dancing Panther on the lido afterdeck.

No spoilers, right, so be careful and don't respond to this, but the end of the first season of "House of the Dragon" was f***ing spectacular. I have so much resentment toward that fat bastard and the two morons he entrusted to make GoT, so it's not easy for me to really have warm feelings toward HotD. But the quality of it is at least to the level of GoT (without Martin's plot-churning genius to lean on), and the people making it are exactly infinitely better than the f***ing wankstains making "Rings of Power," so I am enjoying it. If I were a contrarian, I would hate it on principle (the principle being "hate what everyone else likes just to be a troll c***) (and then I would have a phantom beer, innit), but I'm not.

Unfortunately, the Israeli series "False Flag" is pretty dumb. I only have one more ep of that to go, though. F***ing "Transit Love" went a little flat for a bit, but just recently ramped up again, so at least I am keeping it real. REAL real.

Go, Phillies (t-shirt sales), GO!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Thanks to Rebel, I only need to sell 199 more t-shirts to survive.

AggravatingBaggyDungbeetle-size_restricted.gif

We start the day with @Lord Defect on the clock, @GKJ on deck, @JojoTheWhale on the lido deck, and Dancing Panther on the lido afterdeck.

No spoilers, right, so be careful and don't respond to this, but the end of the first season of "House of the Dragon" was f***ing spectacular. I have so much resentment toward that fat bastard and the two morons he entrusted to make GoT, so it's not easy for me to really have warm feelings toward HotD. But the quality of it is at least to the level of GoT (without Martin's plot-churning genius to lean on), and the people making it are exactly infinitely better than the f***ing wankstains making "Rings of Power," so I am enjoying it. If I were a contrarian, I would hate it on principle (the principle being "hate what everyone else likes just to be a troll c***) (and then I would have a phantom beer, innit), but I'm not.

Unfortunately, the Israeli series "False Flag" is pretty dumb. I only have one more ep of that to go, though. F***ing "Transit Love" went a little flat for a bit, but just recently ramped up again, so at least I am keeping it real. REAL real.

Go, Phillies (t-shirt sales), GO!
I’ve been enjoying HoD very much. Great cast, and while it can be a bit slow at times, when the action does pick up, it really picks up. At the very least, it’s helped to wash the vile taste of the final season of GoT out of my mouth.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I’m slightly surprised no one has gone this route for their hot sauce, yet at the same time not too surprised. You’re all lazy after all.
The Stay Pufts official Hot Sauce will be homemade.
This one has a name, but the heat of it burned off the lettering. We’ll just call it Black Label now.
F6D46CD1-2FCF-48A6-9482-A97FD1A44AB8.jpeg

Yes, I did make this. It’s got some of everything from Thai chili to Carolina reaper to ghost and back to jalapeños.

@GKJ what else do I have left to pick?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m slightly surprised no one has gone this route for their hot sauce, yet at the same time not too surprised. You’re all lazy after all.
The Stay Pufts official Hot Sauce will be homemade.
This one has a name, but the heat of it burned off the lettering. We’ll just call it Black Label now.
View attachment 598596
Yes, I did make this. It’s got some of everything from Thai chili to Carolina reaper to ghost and back to jalapeños.

@GKJ what else do I have left to pick?

Can I have that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad