NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Last time I went more thematic with this category, so this time let me actually take my favorite actor.

Team Actor: Spencer Tracy

2112_blog_Spencer-Tracy.jpg

I first came across Tracy when I was a kid in 1963's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - a favorite in our house after the celebrated purchase of our first VHS, a day I still remember quite well. A little later, in my teens, I caught him on cable in Inherit the Wind and immediately was taken by his commanding screen presence and naturalism. He wasn't classically handsome or typical leading man material but he was possessed of such quiet dignity, grace, and soulfulness that it's impossible not to fall under his spell. Never has another actor ever made standing and quietly listening to his scene partner(s) so compelling.

He was very much tortured in real life, struggled mightily with alcohol, confounded by his faith and unable to openly love the woman of his life because he refused to dishonor his wife by officially ending his long dead marriage, wracked with guilt over his absentee parenting. I think you can see all of that lurking under every performance, even in comedies.

Here he is in Judgement in Nuremberg, flawlessly delivering a moving 9-page speech in one take:

Tracy's last film was Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?, for which the insurance premiums for his possible death during filming were so exorbitant that his co-star and director had to put their salaries in escrow to ensure the film got made. Tracy died 17 days after filming was completed of a heart attack.

@ajgoal

Damn. It.

Great pick. He is deeply underrated.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It doesnt work for me on Mobile..it crashes..its the bane of my very existence.

If people are having problems, I will find a solution. It's supposed to be easy. It might be as simple as creating a separate file for the search tab that won't get overloaded as easily.

If anyone else is having this particular problem, please let me know so I can keep a list of who besides Reb needs to be a beta tester.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I don’t play video games. The only one that existed when I was a kid was Pong which, once the novelty wore off, was incredibly stupid. Almost as stupid as hockey, right Dream?
1674415520987.gif

Oh yeth, baybeh!

So, the 2nd official video game of the Jacksonville Methgators is: Video Games by Lana Del Rey! Why? Because watching and listening to Lana is much more fun than playing a stupid video game.

Any other thoughts Dusty?
1674415555535.gif

Um, ok, now step away from whatever stupid game you are probably playing and make a choice young @Striiker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This category seems like it'll be a pain in the ass so lets get it out of the way early, before even more options are taken off the table and I actually have to put some thought and effort into this.

TV/Movie Character II – Obi-Wan Kenobi

I double checked and nobody has Ewan McGregor and I own the Star Wars franchise, so I believe I'm safe here.

@pit go ahead when ready

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
If our time in the Quackverse feels even a fraction as long as this season of hockey, I'm going to need a video game with an intense amount of replay value.

There's probably no game I've wasted more idle time on in all its iteration than this series, but I'll go for the best version.

Team Video Game: Civilization V

inb4-nuke

@Magua , a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Back in middle school, my friends and I were obsessed about a certain game. It wasn't even multiplayer, and yet it became a shared experience between us.

The Honolulu Ghibli select as our Team Video Game II: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

tumblr_oku2ikhXup1s3uh6po7_400.gif

tumblr_lmep8pWGou1qkf4s8o1_500.gif

SentimentalHospitableBeaver-size_restricted.gif

It was a certain game that came at a certain age, when time was abundant and imagination at a peak. We journey to the continent of Tamriel, to the Imperial province of Cyrodiil for one of my favorite RPGs of all time, one of the best high fantasy experiences a young lad could have. The quests and plot and lore and characters and combat and setting aggressively tickle my nostalgia. It was a massive open world game without that feeling of massive filler that would soon overcome the genre. It's certainly my favorite Elder Scrolls game. (Also, one of the best, zaniest DLCs of all time in the Shivering Isles.)

@CanadianFlyer88 -- hello, my Adoring Fan. Make a good pick or else.

230DDBB89548ECF6FCC276807EADC48DCBA7C6E5

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
There are so many music videos to choose from, but you can't go wrong when animals are the stars of the video. Not only is the song a banger, the video itself is great. The song also includes the all time classic lyric "Me and your daughter, got a special kind of thing going on. You say it's puppy love, we say it's full grown". Simply amazing.

Team Music Video II for the Seattle Sockeyes: Ms. Jackson by Outkast.

@Lord Defect, you can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Sorry for punting this one to today. I wanted to do this one properly and that wasn’t happening during an Eagles playoff game.

For a kid who came into listening to their own music in the late 80s, was never particularly a metal head, and had no time for hair bands, there was a distinct lack of aggressive options. Sure there was the occasional gem like RANCH N RANCHES, but beyond them, what passed for popular “loud” music in 1988 was syrupy-sweet, deeply uncool arena rock acts like RANCHORANCH spewing out power ballads like “Angel.” What 8 year old me could never have known given the impossibility of exposure via existing means was that a band starting to get a bit of notoriety on the Indy scene was embarking on a 4 album stretch that would ignite his musical and personal growth.

There’s nothing wrong with a Band II writing catchy, formulaic pop songs about girls and cars that go from G to D to Em to C. They just don’t tend to be as memorable to me personally. Give me some eloquence in the lyrics and I’m probably going to remember that forever. I managed to find my way to the mainstream greats like the incomparable Dylan. But still nothing aggressive. Nothing that could scratch both itches at once.

If not for a short-lived but incredibly influential radio station in an office park in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania, I definitely would not have found Bad Religion at the right point in life. I know @mja has said his moment of musical awakening was witnessing Nirvana for the first time. I loved them too, but the moment everything clicked for me was listening to WDRE and hearing the opening to “Generator” for the first time.

Very nice. My intro to Bad Religion was the "American Jesus" video dropping on MTV. I still remember seeing the world premiere, probably on 120 Minutes, and I still have my copy of Recipe for Hate...on cassette.

Edit: WDRE was the GOAT. I taped the debut of Heart-Shaped Box when they played it on DRE. Probably still have that tape lying around somewhere.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I searched the spreadsheet for both of these picks. If they are there, oh well.

The stay Pufts are adding two iconic people into the fold. The first, being our team actor has had the privilege to be the only person killed by the Alien, Predator, and Terminator. He’s fought cowboys, chased tornadoes, lied to married women to try to get into their pants. The one, the only, Bill Paxton
5B8E06F5-75EA-4CE2-9364-AC28CF8A9DCB.jpeg

Our second pick were being on board a lawman with a massive temper, pure outright fury. Raylan Givens.
87093238-D5B7-4161-9824-F2949E41246D.jpeg

Just look at that right there.

@CanadianFlyer88 game over man. Game over!

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I don’t play video games. The only one that existed when I was a kid was Pong which, once the novelty wore off, was incredibly stupid. Almost as stupid as hockey, right Dream?
View attachment 639603
Oh yeth, baybeh!

So, the 2nd official video game of the Jacksonville Methgators is: Video Games by Lana Del Rey! Why? Because watching and listening to Lana is much more fun than playing a stupid video game.

Any other thoughts Dusty?
View attachment 639605

Um, ok, now step away from whatever stupid game you are probably playing and make a choice young @Striiker

Proud plat.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Thank you for passing to me, @JojoTheWhale !

Macho JoJo! Bent Jojo! Parsimonious joJo!

I do TEAM ALBUM

I DO DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

This is an all-timer for me. It's just so good. Elite album cover. Elite ending. The band at their absolute peak. Pink Floyd's Joshua Tree.

If you have a shuffled playlist that plays Brain Damage and doesn't include Eclipse, I'll fight everyone within a mile immediately when that occurs.
@Captain Dave Poulin I picked a Pink Floyd album for my team album I. Is this a legal pick

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Just so we are clear, this is not @CanadianFlyer88 's last phase. He is not as weak as he currently appears.

no-nope.gif

We start the day with CF88 on the clock, @Magua on deck, @pit on the lido deck, and Striiker on the lido afterdeck.

I think we have several picks that may have to be re-done, so I am going to read the OP and check on them. Be right back.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Lord Defect is the first. Bill Paxton is OK. I thought Timmy Elephants was wrong, because the Whale chose "Deadwood," but since he is picking Raylon and not Timmy, he is OK. Timmy rules, btw.

@DancingPanther Biff is OK with that pick, because no one has chosen Floyd explicitly for anything. I read the OP twice, and I am pretty sure this is correct.

Oh. I thought there was more, but everything else looks all right. Well, shit.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Not even the best character from that show. SMDH.
I’d wager to say not even the best actor; however I couldn’t bring someone with that many character flaws, no matter how good of a character, into the stay Pufts organization.

@Lord Defect is the first. Bill Paxton is OK. I thought Timmy Elephants was wrong, because the Whale chose "Deadwood," but since he is picking Raylon and not Timmy, he is OK. Timmy rules, btw.

@DancingPanther Biff is OK with that pick, because no one has chosen Floyd explicitly for anything. I read the OP twice, and I am pretty sure this is correct.

Why’s you even check on me? Ive
Never ever messed a pick up.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

Noted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad