NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That was a joke. You’re good.

1674352379101.png

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Alien 1: "I have returned from planet Earth."
Alien 2: "Wonderful! Do tell us how the inhabitants are putting to use the tool we gave them. The Internet, they call it. In what ways have they made great advances through the wealth of knowledge? Healing diseases? Bringing peace? Reversing the damage to their planet?"
Alien 1: "Umm, not even close."

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Alien 1: "I have returned from planet Earth."
Alien 2: "Wonderful! Do tell us how the inhabitants are putting to use the tool we gave them. The Internet, they call it. In what ways have they made great advances through the wealth of knowledge? Healing diseases? Bringing peace? Reversing the damage to their planet?"
Alien 1: "Umm, not even close."

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 10.04.50 PM.png

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Stuck here watching this f***ing Orlando FanCringefest. I can't stand America.

bored-anime.gif

We start the day with @mja on the clock, @ajgoal on deck, @GKJ on the lido deck, and Old Sandwich's twin on the lido afterdeck. Jojo has to make up his pick as well.

Speaking of boring Americans, that game last night was an abomination. I'm sure you didn't feel that way - it's always nice when your own team smacks around a pack of c***s that doesn't even show up. Like people talk about how much they enjoy competitive games, and they are the most memorable in hindsight, but when you are sitting there in the playoffs scared to death that you might lose, there's nothing wrong with an ass-kicking. For the neutral, though, it was a suckfest. That's the Giants for you - a pack of c***s who don't show up except to suck.

I'm not going to go into the details, but you remember that idiot plastic surgeon on "Singles Inferno"? That girl he went to Paradise with has made it perfectly obvious more than once that she isn't interested in him, but it just will not get through his thick f***ing skull. He seriously may be the stupidest person on Earth. Yes, even stupider than either of our Defects.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Last time I went more thematic with this category, so this time let me actually take my favorite actor.

Team Actor: Spencer Tracy

2112_blog_Spencer-Tracy.jpg

I first came across Tracy when I was a kid in 1963's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - a favorite in our house after the celebrated purchase of our first VHS, a day I still remember quite well. A little later, in my teens, I caught him on cable in Inherit the Wind and immediately was taken by his commanding screen presence and naturalism. He wasn't classically handsome or typical leading man material but he was possessed of such quiet dignity, grace, and soulfulness that it's impossible not to fall under his spell. Never has another actor ever made standing and quietly listening to his scene partner(s) so compelling.

He was very much tortured in real life, struggled mightily with alcohol, confounded by his faith and unable to openly love the woman of his life because he refused to dishonor his wife by officially ending his long dead marriage, wracked with guilt over his absentee parenting. I think you can see all of that lurking under every performance, even in comedies.

Here he is in Judgement in Nuremberg, flawlessly delivering a moving 9-page speech in one take:

Tracy's last film was Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?, for which the insurance premiums for his possible death during filming were so exorbitant that his co-star and director had to put their salaries in escrow to ensure the film got made. Tracy died 17 days after filming was completed of a heart attack.

@ajgoal

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Last time I went more thematic with this category, so this time let me actually take my favorite actor.

Team Actor: Spencer Tracy

2112_blog_Spencer-Tracy.jpg

I first came across Tracy when I was a kid in 1963's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - a favorite in our house after the celebrated purchase of our first VHS, a day I still remember quite well. A little later, in my teens, I caught him on cable in Inherit the Wind and immediately was taken by his commanding screen presence and naturalism. He wasn't classically handsome or typical leading man material but he was possessed of such quiet dignity, grace, and soulfulness that it's impossible not to fall under his spell. Never has another actor ever made standing and quietly listening to his scene partner(s) so compelling.

He was very much tortured in real life, struggled mightily with alcohol, confounded by his faith and unable to openly love the woman of his life because he refused to dishonor his wife by officially ending his long dead marriage, wracked with guilt over his absentee parenting. I think you can see all of that lurking under every performance, even in comedies.

Here he is in Judgement in Nuremberg, flawlessly delivering a moving 9-page speech in one take:

Tracy's last film was Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?, for which the insurance premiums for his possible death during filming were so exorbitant that his co-star and director had to put their salaries in escrow to ensure the film got made. Tracy died 17 days after filming was completed of a heart attack.

@ajgoal

Fantastic pick!

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Sorry for punting this one to today. I wanted to do this one properly and that wasn’t happening during an Eagles playoff game.

For a kid who came into listening to their own music in the late 80s, was never particularly a metal head, and had no time for hair bands, there was a distinct lack of aggressive options. Sure there was the occasional gem like RANCH N RANCHES, but beyond them, what passed for popular “loud” music in 1988 was syrupy-sweet, deeply uncool arena rock acts like RANCHORANCH spewing out power ballads like “Angel.” What 8 year old me could never have known given the impossibility of exposure via existing means was that a band starting to get a bit of notoriety on the Indy scene was embarking on a 4 album stretch that would ignite his musical and personal growth.

There’s nothing wrong with a Band II writing catchy, formulaic pop songs about girls and cars that go from G to D to Em to C. They just don’t tend to be as memorable to me personally. Give me some eloquence in the lyrics and I’m probably going to remember that forever. I managed to find my way to the mainstream greats like the incomparable Dylan. But still nothing aggressive. Nothing that could scratch both itches at once.

If not for a short-lived but incredibly influential radio station in an office park in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania, I definitely would not have found Bad Religion at the right point in life. I know @mja has said his moment of musical awakening was witnessing Nirvana for the first time. I loved them too, but the moment everything clicked for me was listening to WDRE and hearing the opening to “Generator” for the first time.

Like a rock
Like a planet
Like a ****ing atom bomb

I’ll remain unperturbed

*record scratch* Did he just say unperturbed?! Of course I didn’t know at the time that what I had heard was the punk Dylan, but that was the start of everything. No one has ever ridden the lyrical line between accessibility and deeper meaning quite as nimbly as Greg Graffin in that late 80s-mid 90s peak. For example, “I Want to Conquer the World” is on its surface excellent but typical 3rd wave punk. It can be enjoyed as such and never delved into further. But if you do, you get rewarded with verses like this:

Hey, Mr. Diplomat, with your worldly aspirations.
Did you see your children cry when you left them at the station?
Hey, moral soldier, you've got righteous proclamations,
And precious tomes to fuel your pulpy conflagrations.

Bloody hell, that manages to get more scathing every time I read it. To make a very, very long story as short as possible, I’ve seen Bad Religion well over 100 times. I spent an entire summer following them on tour. I’ve hung out with most of the various members over the years and in the biggest upset in recorded history, had them hold up to my hopes as people. They opened me up not just musically, but on a deeply personal level, as the best influences to each of us should. I truly hope you’ve all had something in your lives that meant as much to your own development.

There’s no one to tag, so I’ll leave with a live version of “Generator” from a late ‘90s Warped Tour VHS with the crowd losing their minds:

*Edit* Cleaned up some sentence structure. I remain the worst.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad