NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Here’s our next official Methgators TV show. Better yet, it’s one that I really like:

LONGMIRE
1677103571339.gif

1677103425476.gif

Yeah, me too Sheriff

@Young Sandwich , better watch your step if you ever travel through Wyoming!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I had no clue how to pick a single movie, especially once you factor in what has been taken through movie franchises and directors.

So I thought to myself: Who has only directed one movie that I like?

Michel Gondry.

And what did he direct?

MV5BMTY4NzcwODg3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTEwOTMyMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Team Movie II - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

@Striiker , see you next pick.

images

Look @Magua. another music video director. I recognized the name for his Bjork videos more than Eternal Sunshine. Looked at the other stuff he's done and found he also did a video for a band I quite like.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
My yoga pants wearing amigo, @DancingPanther sniped my team band, but that's okay, we'll be Quackverse eskimo brothers. I will take advantage of the rules of this phase to still get one of their albums before it is too late!

The Honolulu Ghibli get our funk on to our Team Album II......Californication

I don't begrudge anyone for preferring Blood Sugar Sex Magik -- it's a banger -- but I think the Chili Peppers had depths they didn't quite explore yet on that one. To be fair, I wasn't even born when it came out. But Californication came out at just the time I was old enough to switch on MTV and see the music videos. It struck a chord, and it hasn't stopped vibrating since. I haven't tired of the hits I've heard a million times. Not to mention it has one of my favorite all-time covers.

I went back and forth on if I preferred the follow-up, By The Way, which is their most sonically rich album. But there's a minimalism and economy and melody to Californication, which changed their sound for good, and it makes me think it must be at the epicenter of their discography (personal reasons aside). It was the first album back for Ghibli guitarist, John Frusicante, after he quit the band and went on a 7 year drug sabbatical. Whatever the abyss is, he went a mile below it and should've been another 20-something tragedy. And it's vital to the haunting clarity of his guitar work -- solos, slide, arpeggios, fills -- on the album, which I think also benefits the rhythm section. His gift for always finding the right note or chord, practically shitting out grooves, never ceases to blow me away, and it's never been more unvarnished than on Californication. Without exaggeration, it might be the most important album relating to my own conceptualization of guitar language.

(cheating with this one slightly; it's a Californication B-side......but I'm not sure there's a band that has a better catalogue of 'em)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
My yoga pants wearing amigo, @DancingPanther sniped my team band, but that's okay, we'll be Quackverse eskimo brothers. I will take advantage of the rules of this phase to still get one of their albums before it is too late!

I don't begrudge anyone for preferring Blood Sugar Sex Magik -- it's a banger -- but I think the Chili Peppers had depths they didn't quite explore yet on that one. To be fair, I wasn't even born when it came out. But Californication came out at just the time I was old enough to switch on MTV and see the music videos. It struck a chord, and it hasn't stopped vibrating since. I haven't tired of the hits I've heard a million times. Not to mention it has one of my favorite all-time covers.

I went back and forth on if I preferred the follow-up, By The Way, which is their most sonically rich album. But there's a minimalism and economy and melody to Californication, which changed their sound for good, and it makes me think it must be at the epicenter of their discography (personal reasons aside). It was the first album back for Ghibli guitarist, John Frusicante, after he quit the band and went on a 7 year drug sabbatical. Whatever the abyss is, he went a mile below it and should've been another 20-something tragedy. And it's vital to the haunting clarity of his guitar work -- solos, slide, arpeggios, fills -- on the album, which I think also benefits the rhythm section. His gift for always finding the right note or chord, practically shitting out grooves, never ceases to blow me away, and it's never been more unvarnished than on Californication. Without exaggeration, it might be the most important album relating to my own conceptualization of guitar language.

(cheating with this one slightly; it's a Californication B-side......but I'm not sure there's a band that has a better catalogue of 'em)

I am honored to share the Chili Peppers with you brother

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This sure is another day.

KnobbyFortunateDingo-size_restricted.gif

We start the day with @ajgoal on the clock, @mja on deck, Chuckles on the lido deck, and Biff on the lido afterdeck. @GKJ also has to make up his pick.

I'm watching the highlights of some lower-level college basketball game - the crowd is sparse, to say the least, so you could clearly see where the press guys were sitting behind the basket on the first deck above the floor. This player threw up a prayer behind his back as the clock expired, and it somehow went in - there was no movement from the slugs in slug row. That's not true - the one lard moved slightly to his right to write something down. Otherwise, there was no reaction.

I only bring this up to remind you that journalists are the worst (except for photographers and chefs), and journalists who cover events which they feel are beneath them - i.e., basically anything that isn't high-profile as balls - are even worse than that. I just feel blessed that I didn't have to see them eating.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
It's pretty well established that I'm far from a "music guy." I don't dig into things too much. That goes double for music videos. So we're going to take a music video that just always makes me feel good.

Team Music Video II: Let the Good Times Roll (JD McPherson)

@mja

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Guess who directed the video for Otherside

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I had no clue how to pick a single movie, especially once you factor in what has been taken through movie franchises and directors.

So I thought to myself: Who has only directed one movie that I like?

Michel Gondry.

And what did he direct?

MV5BMTY4NzcwODg3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTEwOTMyMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Team Movie II - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

@Striiker , see you next pick.

images

This pick is love. Shall not be forgotten

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I was saving this one for last but I'm having a hard time with the other remaining categories, so here goes nothing.

I could have picked dozens of high profile classic records here and would have been happy with any of them, but knew immediately upon seeing that we were picking another album that I'd go with a personal favorite sleeper pick instead.

Team Album: Secret Swingers - Versus

artworks-3uGSfI4sQBLxJ7wr-7l6egQ-t500x500.jpg

In the mid-90's, Versus specialized in energetic hook-laden noisy power pop that has been described as an exemplar of indie rock of the period. They reached their peak, in my humble opinion, with this long out-of-print 1996 gem off of Caroline Records. Richard Baluyut and Fontaine Toups trade vocal duties over the course of 11 swooning darkly romantic tracks exploring attraction, loneliness, jealousy, not-quite-requited love, endings, and more.

I'm hoping this one gets re-issued on vinyl soon. Both of my copies are on CD, and one of them is scratched. Here are a few highlights, including one of my all-time favorite songs:

And finally, the rare perfect song:

Be my island,
Be my lighthouse,
in the dark closet
Just look behind the presents

Birthday hands,
tremble with anticipation
Drunken star-crossed love

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Capitals are dumping shit now. Chuck's just sitting there. C***. How is this real life?

sad-anime.gif

Speaking of someone just sitting there doing nothing, we start the day with @Beef Invictus on the clock, @JojoTheWhale on deck, DancingPants on the lido deck, and BuffToe on the lido afterdeck. @GKJ still has to make up his pick.

I had a hard time when I first saw how many people were willing to sit there and watch MMA and/or UFC. Because it's trash. It's trash boxing, basically. It was like when people suddenly out of nowhere started to get erect over politics during the initial Clinton campaign. These are the same people who threw a "Woodstock II" - coincidence? Yeah, no. The masses who had nothing going on and nothing to stand for created something to stand for and stood on it so they could be seen to have an identity. "I'm political!" You have to trust me on this - it was just a Tabitha Soren tsunami of bullshit, and it hasn't done anything since except continue to metastasize. Now I forget what I was going to say about trash boxing ...

Anyway, trash boxing came out, and people wanted to be seen to care about fighting. You know what else emerged at the same time? Poker. Texas Hold-Em Poker. And a bunch of c***s who thought they were Frank Sinatra. Boxing is a part of that whole scene, man, but boxing was truly, deeply shit post-Tyson. So what do you do? You latch onto trash boxing, and you can at least be Peter Lawford, if not Dean Martin.

These are convictions that I have had for decades, but the reason I brought this up out of nowhere is that I started watching "Physical 100" last night. It's like a series of competitions to see which ... like ... "type of physique" (or physical discipline) is the most effective overall. Not really my bag, since I loathe all bench-pressing meatheads. Except that it's Korean. There aren't many scrumptious Korean ladies on it, so it's not like the eye candy which always pulls me in, but I couldn't stop watching, especially once they started the one-on-one death matches. And I assure you, the last f***ing person I want to be is Frank Sinatra. So my convictions are in the wind.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've spent the whole day waiting for this thread to get new posts, and wondering why nobody was picking. My brain is as smooth as a baby cue ball.

Thank you Chuck! Versed Chuck! Miniature Chuck!

I pick TV/Movie character

Colossus (The Computer)

images

From the film "Colossus: The Forbin Project." Colossus is the original [redacted] and the original [redacted] rolled into one. Colossus is a titanic supercomputer with formidable self defenses built into a hollowed mountain. It was given control of the US nuclear arsenal and military. Naturally, it became sentient and took control of the world.

I need it to run the team website.

@JojoTheWhale

Pure Jojo! Gorgeous The! Spiritual Whale!

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Gentlemen! Behold!

The videos that stick with me are largely not the expensive, immaculate ones. It's things like this asshole in particular:

WQ7S1b1.gif

The audio is out of sync with the video. It cost roughly $12 to record. I will never be able to separate the song from the video. It's perfect.

Team Video II: "**** This, I'm Out" by Off With Their Heads

@DancingPanther I hope you're not in my shower.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Gentlemen! Behold!

The videos that stick with me are largely not the expensive, immaculate ones. It's things like this asshole in particular:

WQ7S1b1.gif

The audio is out of sync with the video. It cost roughly $12 to record. I will never be able to separate the song from the video. It's perfect.

Team Video II: "**** This, I'm Out" by Off With Their Heads

@DancingPanther I hope you're not in my shower.

Have you looked in your shower?

If you look in mine, you might find a dog.

Who you won't find: Plats' team actress II. Outspoken LGTBQ+ ally, voice actress in God Of War. The one and only Lilly from the AT&T commercials. MILANA VAYNTRUB

milana-vayntrub-werewolves-within.gif

GM @BigToe

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Do you think it's healthy to want your team to get its shit kicked in constantly? It feels healthy - VERY healthy - but I don't know.

ZJPBZxt.gif

Yikes. Anyway, we start the day with @BigToe on the clock, me on deck, @Hollywood Cannon on the lido deck, and Starberry on the lido afterdeck with a sweet Lukas Reichel hockey card. @GKJ still hasn't picked, of course.

You could say that all of this shit that is happening to the Flyers was entirely predictable the microsecond they hired Chuck f***ing Fletcher. For instance, atoadaso, and I wasn't alone (though it was close enough to solitude to be worrisome). But it's not just in hockey that you see really incredibly smart guys predicting what will happen in the future. I'm reading this book called "Parade" by Shuichi Yoshida. Check out what he says about the internet, and keep in mind that this was originally written in 2002, before the internet became anything like it is now.

"... Our life here is kind of like living full-time in a chat room. The main reason I don't use the internet is, as I said, my complete ineptness when it comes to technology, but also, if I could be completely anonymous, then I might say something totally cruel. And if I feel that way, so does everyone else ... and then we'd all be backstabbing and wasting time. So no thanks."

Crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad