NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
On the road all day but have a minute while we let the kids out of their cages to run around the turnpike median for a few minutes.

This is one of the funniest sketch shows in years, right up there with the other recent elite, I RANCH You RANCH RANCH. They have a bevy of excellent sketches so far, but I felt this one really hits home for us. Spoiler tags for language and sexual situations, but no nudity or anything.

Team TV Show II - Gilly and Keeves

@BiggE sometimes you have to step outside your comfort zone a bit to make ends meet.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
For our 2nd team author we thought it woukd be a hoot to find one that was both an irascible curmudgeon and one who would be thoroughly repulsed by our fanbase.

So, without further ado, welcome to Jacksonville, HARLAN ELLISON!

Here’s a link to stuff about him

Any thoughts, Mr Piper?
1676847366566.gif

Someone is next, I don’t know who, brb

You probably have no idea who Ellison or the wrestler is, do you @Striiker ?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I got some (not many) dollar dollar bills in change and wondered how long Coronavirus can live on money. Donny T is 76, soooooo ...

ohoh-cat.gif

We start the day with @Striiker on the clock, @pit on deck, @Magua on the lido deck, and CelsiusFlyer69 on the lido afterdeck. ajgoal also has to make his make-up pick.

Amazon Studios has a major, major problem. They have yet to produce a series which doesn't have serious, fatal issues with quality. Quality of script, acting, casting, directing - everything. And this isn't me being picky - these shows are all, to one degree or another, slop. Let's go to the very worst - "The Wheel of Time." What they did to the source material (which to be fair isn't all that extraordinary) is unforgivable, but even if you'd never read the books, even if you'd never watched f***ing television before, you'd know instantly that this isn't it. It's so unspeakably execrable. "The Rings of Power" isn't really much better, but at least it looks better, more or less. It's still just very sloppy across the board. "Jack Ryan" is maybe the best of them, but it's nothing to write home about. I watched the British series "The Rig" last week, and it has all of the same problems, except that the acting is much worse. "The Boys" is all concept and no follow-through - how people are praising this slop is beyond me. It's absolute crap. And it's lazy as f***, full of cliches and a bunch of people mailing it in. Across the board, there is just no craftsmanship at all. It's such a waste because they have the money (and are spending the money) to make spectacular programs. They just don't have the talent, and without the talent you might as well rub your money all over your body and wait for the virus to end it all.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I got some (not many) dollar dollar bills in change and wondered how long Coronavirus can live on money. Donny T is 76, soooooo ...

ohoh-cat.gif

We start the day with @Striiker on the clock, @pit on deck, @Magua on the lido deck, and CelsiusFlyer69 on the lido afterdeck. ajgoal also has to make his make-up pick.

Amazon Studios has a major, major problem. They have yet to produce a series which doesn't have serious, fatal issues with quality. Quality of script, acting, casting, directing - everything. And this isn't me being picky - these shows are all, to one degree or another, slop. Let's go to the very worst - "The Wheel of Time." What they did to the source material (which to be fair isn't all that extraordinary) is unforgivable, but even if you'd never read the books, even if you'd never watched f***ing television before, you'd know instantly that this isn't it. It's so unspeakably execrable. "The Rings of Power" isn't really much better, but at least it looks better, more or less. It's still just very sloppy across the board. "Jack Ryan" is maybe the best of them, but it's nothing to write home about. I watched the British series "The Rig" last week, and it has all of the same problems, except that the acting is much worse. "The Boys" is all concept and no follow-through - how people are praising this slop is beyond me. It's absolute crap. And it's lazy as f***, full of cliches and a bunch of people mailing it in. Across the board, there is just no craftsmanship at all. It's such a waste because they have the money (and are spending the money) to make spectacular programs. They just don't have the talent, and without the talent you might as well rub your money all over your body and wait for the virus to end it all.

I got through 1 episode of WoT and 3 episodes of RoP. Just awful. The Boys is definitely overrated. Jack Ryan is solid though.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

ohoh-cat.gif

I know I'm in the minority, but I still think Wheel of Time is fine. Not great. Not even particularly good. But fine.

TRoP is undeniably gorgeous. You ever look at a movie or series and wonder how the hell they spent so much money on it? Well not with this thing. It looks exactly like it would take all of Spain a year to pay for it. Unfortunately nothing ever happens, which is unsurprising given how little source material there is.

The only home run that pops to mind is the fantastic Fleabag. Count that or don't, because it was really a co-production with the BBC and I'm sure the latter did the most work. But don't tell me that wasn't great.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I got through 1 episode of WoT and 3 episodes of RoP. Just awful. The Boys is definitely overrated. Jack Ryan is solid though.
Jack Ryan and terminal list were fantastic. I have not watched the two fantasy shows.
The boys, I take it as the old Howard stern show, it’s mainly for shock value. It delivers there but is riddled with plot holes and everything else. People watch just to see what their going to top the last shock with.

Reactions: BiggE

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don’t even have Amazon Prime, and it seems their TV department is out to lunch in general, but am I crazy or does the cinematography look nearly identical in all their shows? We can talk budget and set design and all that jazz, but there’s something with the lighting and camera work that looks very television and not cinematic. It looks less aesthetically pleasing than HBO or even much of Netflix. And it seems ubiquitous, which is weird because you’d think there’d be artistic variance.

But I suppose Amazon being unable to make great TV is the only thing standing between them and world domination. So there’s that.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t even have Amazon Prime, and it seems their TV department is out to lunch in general, but am I crazy or does the cinematography look nearly identical in all their shows? We can talk budget and set design and all that jazz, but there’s something with the lighting and camera work that looks very television and not cinematic. It looks less aesthetically pleasing than HBO or even much of Netflix. And it seems ubiquitous, which is weird because you’d think there’d be artistic variance.

But I suppose Amazon being unable to make great TV is the only thing standing between them and world domination. So there’s that.

I noticed this too. The lighting is very bright and artificial. Especially noticeable on WoT and RoP.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Jack Ryan and terminal list were fantastic. I have not watched the two fantasy shows.
The boys, I take it as the old Howard stern show, it’s mainly for shock value. It delivers there but is riddled with plot holes and everything else. People watch just to see what their going to top the last shock with.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Terminal List" is a bucket of liquid baby shit.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I noticed this too. The lighting is very bright and artificial. Especially noticeable on WoT and RoP.

Stranger Things doesn't look like f***ing Ozark, and The Last of Us doesn't look anything like Euphoria -- they all look amazing -- and yet nearly every Amazon TV show has that cheap, overly lit, clean, artificial look you described. There's ways to shoot digitally to mimic film -- that's what the best do -- but these shows just look incredibly digital.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have questions about JRR Tolkien being in the "movie franchise" row in the spreadsheet. Is that supposed to be Lord of the Rings? Or Team Author?

It's the LotR movies - I just used a shortcut. He's off limits for anyone else to take as an author.

EDIT: Like HC said, it includes all the Middle-Earth-related films, too.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
It's the LotR movies - I just used a shortcut. He's off limits for anyone else to take as an author.

EDIT: Like HC said, it includes all the Middle-Earth-related films, too.
"Tolkien's world in film", you say? This implies only the films, and not the legendarium as a whole. Because not everything is featured in the films. Not even spoken of. I will remember this for the future

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
This week sucks and time is not on my side.

Keeping it simple and on point for me, going with another playwright for Team Author II. With Shakespeare in the lead-off spot, let's follow with the world's second most performed playwright.

Team Author II: Henrik Ibsen

henrik_ibsen_photo_daniel_georg_nyblinn_2_1_a716d106-edf1-4215-ad09-beccd96a9c3e.jpg

@Magua , try and top those mutton chops. Ya just can't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad