NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
You may know that September 24th, 1991 is the day Nevermind was released. What you may not know is that on the very same day, Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out. And so did this undisputed all-time classic.

Team Album II: The Low End Theory

Often mislabeled as a love letter to jazz or even the hip hop Sgt. Pepper, the legacy of The Low End Theory is that of the organic growth of hip hop itself. The album takes jazz and hip hop, both based on improvisation and constant change, and marries them together flawlessly. Most will be familiar with the single "Scenario" and it's Lou Reed sample, but this is the ultimate collection of backbeats launching you forward and dragging dueling MCs with it.

We have to remember that in 1990, the technology simply didn't exist to produce a modern album. ATCQ was working with samplers with minuscule memory and basic effects. If they wanted to layer multiple samples, they had to do it in their heads until it was actually recorded. With that in mind, it's no surprise it took 8 grueling months of iteration to make this jump from their more saccharine first album. How thorough was their search for sounds? Here's a partial list of acts sampled on this one album:

Art Blakely & the Jazz Messengers, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Jack Dejohnette, Brother Jack McDuff, Average White Band, Minnie Riperton, Grover Washington Jr, Peter Paul & Mary, Cannonball Adderley, Parliament Funkadelic, Sly & The Family Stone, Willis Jackson, and Jackie Jackson

And of course we get one of, if not the, most famous call and responses in hip hop history.

You on point, Phife?
All the time, @Beef Invictus

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You may know that September 24th, 1991 is the day Nevermind was released. What you may not know is that on the very same day, Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out. And so did this undisputed all-time classic.

Often mislabeled as a love letter to jazz or even the hip hop Sgt. Pepper, the legacy of The Low End Theory is that of the organic growth of hip hop itself. The album takes jazz and hip hop, both based on improvisation and constant change, and marries them together flawlessly. Most will be familiar with the single "Scenario" and it's Lou Reed sample, but this is the ultimate collection of backbeats launching you forward and dragging dueling MCs with it.

We have to remember that in 1990, the technology simply didn't exist to produce a modern album. ATCQ was working with samplers with minuscule memory and basic effects. If they wanted to layer multiple samples, they had to do it in their heads until it was actually recorded. With that in mind, it's no surprise it took 8 grueling months of iteration to make this jump from their more saccharine first album. How thorough was their search for sounds? Here's a partial list of acts sampled on this one album:

And of course we get one of, if not the, most famous call and responses in hip hop history.

You on point, Phife?

Just finally snagged this album on vinyl last Friday

Also, this a good watch on the Native Tongues Collective that I just watched last night

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

You on point, Phife?

This video was just uploaded yesterday. What are the odds??

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Aston Villa manager Unai Emery, like David Hakstok, is from Uranus. I wonder if they know each other?

ahs3S9Q.jpg

We start the day with @Beef Invictus on the clock, @Chuck Downie on deck, @mja on the lido deck, and ajgoal on the lido afterdeck.

John Cena - HAHAHAHA! Holy f***. I finally watched "F9" last night - I'll be honest, I only figured out that I was missing one a couple of weeks ago. Like I said to Striiker a while back, when they do these FF marathons on basic cable (which I always have on in the background), they always skip the sixth one. I couldn't understand why, but then someone told me that it was probably because that lady Tony DeAngelo that was on "The Mandalorian" for a while was in the sixth FF, so they don't want to remind anyone that they had a racist in there. I don't know if I believe that, but it's possible. Either way, the absence of that one f***ed with my brain sequencing somehow, and I failed to realize/remember that they came out with one after the first Charlize Theron one.

Anyway, I watched the f***ing thing last night. It was about exactly as stupid as all the rest of them. You'd think that having the two of them from the ghetto going into outer space in a Pontiac Fiero outfitted with rockets by the dumbest guy to ever come out of the Deep South would have been the most ludicrous (phrasing) part of the movie. But then John Cena appeared. HAHAHAHAHA! This motherf***er ... you know those cow commercials he's in? Those cows are better actors than John Cena. I'm dead cereal. He's a f***ing joke. A bad joke. A Dane Cook joke.

The real crime here is that it could all so easily have been avoided if people just listened to me about wrestlers. Amirite? Atoadaso.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Aston Villa manager Unai Emery, like David Hakstok, is from Uranus. I wonder if they know each other?

ahs3S9Q.jpg

We start the day with @Beef Invictus on the clock, @Chuck Downie on deck, @mja on the lido deck, and ajgoal on the lido afterdeck.

John Cena - HAHAHAHA! Holy f***. I finally watched "F9" last night - I'll be honest, I only figured out that I was missing one a couple of weeks ago. Like I said to Striiker a while back, when they do these FF marathons on basic cable (which I always have on in the background), they always skip the sixth one. I couldn't understand why, but then someone told me that it was probably because that lady Tony DeAngelo that was on "The Mandalorian" for a while was in the sixth FF, so they don't want to remind anyone that they had a racist in there. I don't know if I believe that, but it's possible. Either way, the absence of that one f***ed with my brain sequencing somehow, and I failed to realize/remember that they came out with one after the first Charlize Theron one.

Anyway, I watched the f***ing thing last night. It was about exactly as stupid as all the rest of them. You'd think that having the two of them from the ghetto going into outer space in a Pontiac Fiero outfitted with rockets by the dumbest guy to ever come out of the Deep South would have been the most ludicrous (phrasing) part of the movie. But then John Cena appeared. HAHAHAHAHA! This motherf***er ... you know those cow commercials he's in? Those cows are better actors than John Cena. I'm dead cereal. He's a f***ing joke. A bad joke. A Dane Cook joke.

The real crime here is that it could all so easily have been avoided if people just listened to me about wrestlers. Amirite? Atoadaso.
Only one wrestler ever belonged in a movie
1676729280833.gif

“and I’m all outta bubble gum”

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
FOG Team TV Show II

Freaks & Geeks

View attachment 650693

One of the best coming of age series' ever made, featuring excellent writing and realistic characters as they endure the triumphs and tribulations of High School. To me it's as good as The Wonder Years and it's a crime it didn't get a longer run. Here's a snippet from Wikipedia for those not familiar.

Considering the careers it launched, it truly put forth in motion the next 20 years of American comedy.

I started a re-watch of Freaks & Geeks after picking it. Through the first 4 episodes there are already cameo appearances from Lizzy Caplan, Rashida Jones, and Ben Foster at the beginning of their careers, among others. Biff from Back to the Future is the Gym teacher too. Squints from The Sandlot is also a reoccurring character.

It's so damn good.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I started a re-watch of Freaks & Geeks after picking it. Through the first 4 episodes there are already cameo appearances from Lizzy Caplan, Rashida Jones, and Ben Foster at the beginning of their careers, among others. Biff from Back to the Future is the Gym teacher too. Squints from The Sandlot is also a reoccurring character.

It's so damn good.

It was a brilliant show that should have gone on as long as Apatow wanted it to. NBC STILL has never replaced it, which goes without saying.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thank you Jojo! Accurate Jojo! Icy Jojo! Cynical Jojo!

I choose Book. I choose:

"A Year At The Movies: One Man's Filmgoing Odyssey" by Kevin Murphy

1676733078003.png

Murphy is most famous for voicing Tom Servo on MST3K, and continues his work with RiffTrax. In this book, Kevin goes to the movies every single day for a year. It's a mix of humor and a love letter to the experience of watching movies; not just in a theater, but in general. He travels the world to do this. He also tried to eat movie theater food for the year but got a kidney stone. If you love watching movies, this is the book.

@Chuck Downie

Racial Chuck! Magical Chuck! Halting Chuck!

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Team TV Show II:

lf not for 120 Minutes, I likely would not have discovered some of my favorite artists / albums / songs. Some chap decided to archive the entirety of the show's nearly 30 year run, which can be found here.

@ajgoal, who was your favorite 120 Minutes host? Kendall, right?

Awesome pick. I listen to this archive from time to time. Found some great artists through it.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Holy f***, all of a sudden this site is a complete plague of ads everywhere. What the f***.

1f7.gif

We start the day with @ajgoal on the clock, @GKJ on deck, @Young Sandwich on the lido deck, and Bigglesworth on the lido afterdeck.

I watched one last night called "The Last Princess" (2016). It's about the last of the Korean royalty (duh) who were put under the boot by the Japanese colonization of Korea. The royal structure is kind of hard to understand, which is normal in these stories, but the emperor is poisoned and his daughter (the princess) is forced to go to Japan when she comes of age. There is this one horrible collaborator c***, a Korean who has taken loads of money from the Japanese to do their bidding, and he hounds the princess, trying to get her to marry a Japanese aristocrat, threatening to hurt her mother in Korea if she doesn't give speeches in support of Japan, etc. He's such a c***. She eventually gets in contact with the Korean resistance, and they try to get her out of Japan. There's a love story in there too, with a guy she knew as a kid and her father wanted her to marry eventually, who is part of the resistance. It's a very sad movie, but it's very good.

The glare is here and it is very, very bad. Have a nice Sunday. Just remember - don't be a collaborator.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Holy f***, all of a sudden this site is a complete plague of ads everywhere. What the f***.

1f7.gif

We start the day with @ajgoal on the clock, @GKJ on deck, @Young Sandwich on the lido deck, and Bigglesworth on the lido afterdeck.

I watched one last night called "The Last Princess" (2016). It's about the last of the Korean royalty (duh) who were put under the boot by the Japanese colonization of Korea. The royal structure is kind of hard to understand, which is normal in these stories, but the emperor is poisoned and his daughter (the princess) is forced to go to Japan when she comes of age. There is this one horrible collaborator c***, a Korean who has taken loads of money from the Japanese to do their bidding, and he hounds the princess, trying to get her to marry a Japanese aristocrat, threatening to hurt her mother in Korea if she doesn't give speeches in support of Japan, etc. He's such a c***. She eventually gets in contact with the Korean resistance, and they try to get her out of Japan. There's a love story in there too, with a guy she knew as a kid and her father wanted her to marry eventually, who is part of the resistance. It's a very sad movie, but it's very good.

The glare is here and it is very, very bad. Have a nice Sunday. Just remember - don't be a collaborator.
So vanilla ice was wrong? “Stop, collaborate, and listen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad