NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm not going to take the lazy Studio Ghibli way out of this category, even if it's paralysis by analysis territory picking a single character in the history of movies and television.

The Honolulu Ghibli sashay up to the podium to name as our Team Movie/TV Character II......Virgil Tibbs

they-call-me-mr-tibbs.gif

Mister. F*** me, yeah, that's my bad. Can you believe Sidney Poitier isn't in the Quackverse? Rectified.

The above quote is iconic, but this scene is an era defining doozy:

From In the Heat of the Night (1967) -- which holds up wonderfully, I might add -- Virgil Tibbs is a Philly homicide detective who, ironically, gets accused of a murder while waiting to get home from a shabby Mississippi train station in a podunk Mississippi town. The reason? He's a black out-of-towner with a fat wallet. Once that's sorted, he's forced by his captain to help investigate the case, which goes as smoothly as you'd expect.

Few can portray impassioned dignity like Sidney Poitier, and Tibbs doesn't take an ounce of shit while shit is hurled at him by the fistful. He knows he's smarter than everyone in town, and the tension arrives in everyone else knowing it too. Mix it all together, what do you get? An all-time great character.

@CanadianFlyer88 -- *gesticulates vigorously*

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
He's a complicated man and no one understands him but his woman.

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?

Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother man?

Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

They say this cat is a bad mother and he is a proud member of the Seattle Sockeyes.

Team Movie/TV character II: John Shaft

shaft71brn-main2.jpg

@Lord Defect, you're damn right.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You know who sucks? That Markstrom character. F*** that guy. What a sieve. Did you see that last goal? Bum.

trash-you-suck.gif

We start the day with @Lord Defect on the clock with a pair (phrasing), @CanadianFlyer88 on deck, MacGruber on the lido deck, and pit who FELL INTO THE PIT on the lido afterdeck. @ajgoal has one pick to make up and one pick upcoming soon-ish.

You know how I was watching season three of "Yes I Do," and how I complained about the machine translation they used, and how it sucked almighty ass? Well, the final two episodes didn't even have those. These Chinese bastards made them "VIP" episodes or something, so you'd have to buy a package to get the subtitles, I guess. I had to watch with no words as everything was resolved, relying solely on their expressions and reactions. They even had the cast in the studio afterwards to share updates on how things are going. I figured out who got together, and it was all good news, but for f***'s sake.

OMG speaking of sucking, I just saw the commercial for "History of the World Part II" again. There's no one on Earth who wanted that film to be made more than I did, but it had to be done back in the day when Mel Brooks still had his superpowers. It's arguably his best film ever - I understand the pushback on that with other choices and have no problem with several options, particularly "Blazing Saddles," but I have always thought it was his best. This f***ing thing looks atrocious. Leave legacies alone, you lazy motherf***ers.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I'm not going to take the lazy Studio Ghibli way out of this category, even if it's paralysis by analysis territory picking a single character in the history of movies and television.

The Honolulu Ghibli sashay up to the podium to name as our Team Movie/TV Character II......Virgil Tibbs

they-call-me-mr-tibbs.gif

Mister. F*** me, yeah, that's my bad. Can you believe Sidney Poitier isn't in the Quackverse? Rectified.

The above quote is iconic, but this scene is an era defining doozy:

From In the Heat of the Night (1967) -- which holds up wonderfully, I might add -- Virgil Tibbs is a Philly homicide detective who, ironically, gets accused of a murder while waiting to get home from a shabby Mississippi train station in a podunk Mississippi town. The reason? He's a black out-of-towner with a fat wallet. Once that's sorted, he's forced by his captain to help investigate the case, which goes as smoothly as you'd expect.

Few can portray impassioned dignity like Sidney Poitier, and Tibbs doesn't take an ounce of shit while shit is hurled at him by the fistful. He knows he's smarter than everyone in town, and the tension arrives in everyone else knowing it too. Mix it all together, what do you get? An all-time great character.

@CanadianFlyer88 -- *gesticulates vigorously*

Technically he’s already in the Quackverse since I previously selected Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner, but a fine choice nonetheless.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
  • College Course - Dealing Tactfully With Difficult People
  • The University of California, Irvine, has an online class all about dealing with, well, jerks. Ranging from “manipulators” to “chronic complainers,” difficult people are grouped into categories as students learn the best way to deal with them and boost their own confidence.
@Lord Defect stun is with your next pick!

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Sorry about my tardiness.

For all those times we want the other Quackverse members to feel really bad about themselves. The rest of the time, she'll be talking to the members of our spite band.

Team TV/Movie Character II: Sophia Petrillo (Golden Girls)

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Team Actress II

There are plenty of suitable options here, but we'll right a wrong of Earth Prime. This actress is criminally underrated by her peers, as well as the rest of Hollywood during awards seasons. It's shameful she doesn't have an Emmy/Golden Globe for her portrayal of Nora Durst in one of the world's best gems... truthfully, a series few have even heard of let alone watched.

She's always worth the price of admission and usually steals the show. She certainly won't be underrated or unheralded in the Quackverse.

The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to select the alliteratively named, even with an unfortunate surname, Carrie Coon.

carrie-coon-e1468349811410.jpg

@Magua, an appropriate Nora Durst quote as it relates to the Quackverse vs Earth Prime: "Over here, we lost some of them. But over there, they lost all of us."

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Don't forget that Lent starts today, so put your cookies away for the foreseeable.

donut-vegetables.gif

We start the day with @pit on the clock, @Striiker on deck, Bigglesworth on the lido deck, and Young Pervscratch on the lido afterdeck. If @Magua were a Transformer, he would transform into an abandon cannon. You see what I did there?

Ever morning, I play this iPod game called Wordscapes - it's like a combination of Boggle and a crossword puzzle. I f***ing slay at Boggle almost as hard as I slay at miniature golf, so I am quite good at this f***ing thing. Playing this kind of game allegedly helps to keep your brain from atrophying any more than is necessary, but it's also easy to just get lost in for a few minutes. They have tournaments on the weekend, and I played in them for a while, but I can't compete because of the ads, which come up at least between every other game. I could pay to not have any ads, except for the complete lack of cash. Well, this morning the c*** launched an ad in the middle of the game. And as happens around 50% of the time, the ad didn't work, so it froze the game. I was like "Ok, that's cool then, f*** you."

So that's the story of my life this morning.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I had no clue how to pick a single movie, especially once you factor in what has been taken through movie franchises and directors.

So I thought to myself: Who has only directed one movie that I like?

Michel Gondry.

And what did he direct?

MV5BMTY4NzcwODg3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTEwOTMyMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Team Movie II - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

@Striiker , see you next pick.

images

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Team Actress II

There are plenty of suitable options here, but we'll right a wrong of Earth Prime. This actress is criminally underrated by her peers, as well as the rest of Hollywood during awards seasons. It's shameful she doesn't have an Emmy/Golden Globe for her portrayal of Nora Durst in one of the world's best gems... truthfully, a series few have even heard of let alone watched.

She's always worth the price of admission and usually steals the show. She certainly won't be underrated or unheralded in the Quackverse.

The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to select the alliteratively named, even with an unfortunate surname, Carrie Coon.

View attachment 654554

@Magua, an appropriate Nora Durst quote as it relates to the Quackverse vs Earth Prime: "Over here, we lost some of them. But over there, they lost all of us."

Awesome pick. Love her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad