NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
In 2001, guitar virtuoso Derek Trucks married soul/blues singer Susan Tedeschi and the world became a better place. Derek, the nephew of Butch Trucks a founding member of the Allman Brothers band, is a slide and lead guitar prodigy. He was sitting in with the Allman Brothers at the age of 10 and by the age of 20, he had toured with the Allmans, Phil Lesh and friends and many other top acts. Here is a look at Derek doing what he does best

Oh, and by the way, he was only 13 there!

In 2007 he and Susan formed the Trucks Tedeschi band and they've been tearing it up ever since! So, please welcome home to Jacksonville and the Methgators family, our second official band: THE TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND!!
Here they are doing what they do best!

Derek and Susan live about 20 minutes away from me and, when they aren't on tour, they are often known to pop in to various local music venues. I don't know them personally, but we do have some mutual friends and I'm hoping to one day get to jam with one or both of them!

Bryan Danielson, do you dig the Tedeschi Trucks band?
View attachment 648174

@Young Sandwich , lay down some blues and make a pick!

The best slide player ever. No buts.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Being able to learn from the guy who was taught by Duane and had to learn all his slide parts when he died probably went a long way
I think Derek gets a more soulful sound than Duane and he also mixes in some wild jazz elements that take his playing to another level.

But, I can only imagine what Duane might have done if he had lived another 15-20 years, let alone til today.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have a Book II here, and I’m going with “Crying in H-Mart” by Michelle Zauner, lead vocalist for Japanese Breakfast

cryinginhmart.0.jpg

For my college course, I’ll take a left turn here and select ‘elementary sign language” which is the first course listed at CCP.

if anything other than I think it would be cool to do and would like to learn it.

@ajgoal

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
As long as this day is going to be, tomorrow will be even longer before the payoff.

d30.gif

Oh my. We start the day with @ajgoal on the clock, @mja on deck, @Chuck Downie on the lido deck, and Biff Quiefvictus on the lido afterdeck.

A couple of notes as the sun rises above the horizon to blast my screen.

* I continue to grieve for Striiker's experience with music, or lack thereof, so far in life. After 12 1/2 years, he still has never heard an actual song.

* Young Perv is so f***ing gross lol. Did you see his music video pick? Holy shit. If you have any penicillin around, maybe take a few.

* There will be no Doritos Revolution ever, so don't take up arms lest ye be swatted.

* I have also always wanted to learn sign language. And Japanese. And French. I want to learn Chinese, but I know it's impossible.

* That "I Am SOLO" season with the forever singles (i.e., people who have never been in a relationship) finally ended last night with just one couple created, and good riddance to it. It was interesting from a behavioral psychology standpoint, as some of them were complete weirdos, and it was fine when I could binge it, but now that I am on weekly doses, I am ready for normal hotties to get back on there.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I apologize for my tardiness. I've been busy.
PXL_20230211_160812651.jpg

For our team movie franchise-but-not-franchse II, we are picking a classic. Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles. Memorable characters and quotes. Plus, we're stealing from @JojoTheWhale legally, so that's a bonus.

Team Movie II: The Princess Bride

Hey @mja, what did your grandfather read to you when you were sick?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Team Music Video II

It used to be that you could learn a lot from watching MTV. Back before the days of reality TV fare swamping any and all niche programming, MTV showed honest-to-god music videos every hour non-stop. It was in the mid 80's when cable TV finally arrived to our household, and it was truly an inflection point. Prior to that, TV watching was mostly cartoons in the morning, game shows and soap operas during the day, the evening news, and then finally prime time sitcoms before bed. Now, suddenly, you could sit down, turn on the TV, and flip to channel 25 and watch a movie or a hockey game, or flip to channel 13, and see all the latest and greatest music videos from the bands of the day.

Many of my favorite videos from that time are off the board in one way or another, but no matter, because it was the early 90's where I really came of age, both musically and otherwise. There are in fact 3 music videos that as much as anything have informed my taste in music to this day. The first, as I mentioned before, was Smells Like Teen Spirit. I heavily considered taking it, but the problem is that I don't much enjoy Teen Spirit anymore. I simply overplayed it to death. The second was Teenage Fanclub's video for The Concept, but I already have Teenage Fanclub in the fold, so I look at picking that as a bit of a wasted pick. Luckily, there's another option.

I thought about picking other Pavement Videos, such as [Ranch] Life, given all of the Smashing Pumpkins love in this category, or [Ranch] Soundz, but this was my official introduction to Pavement, though I had already read a lot about them in Spin Magazine by that point. This was released in early 94, just as grunge was at its apex right before Cobain's suicide, and was a much needed change amid the fake grimy music that was dominating the airwaves and indeed MTV at the time. You didn't have to grow out your hair, stop shaving, start taking heroin, or tune your guitars way down to sludge in order to make great music. You didn't have to mope around with a tortured soul to be a great artist. Instead, you could fuse together elements from disparate genres with inventive catchy songwriting while taking the piss out of the whole music scene with smart aleck poetry and pair it with a wise-ass video of 5 relatively clean-cut lads getting a haircut. No epic on-stage heroics, no smoldering intensity from the singer staring off into the distance, no tortured imagery signifying existential angst. Just a bit of a lark that cost nothing to make. The single tear rolling down Malkmus' cheek after he's crowned king still makes me laugh.

@Chuck Downie, songs mean a lot when songs are bought, and so are you

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Have a super day, friends.

anime-wave.gif

We start the day with @Beef Invictus just torching the shit out of the clock, @JojoTheWhale fighting cyberterrorism on deck in the smoke of Biff's procrastination, @DancingPanther unshaven on the lido deck, and Toe on the lido afterdeck enjoying his youth.

Holy f***. Pep Guardiola, the managerof greasy cheating oil scumbags Manchester City, is sitting in this press conference saying "We have already been proven innocent, so this is just unfair" (paraphrasing) and trying to turn this into an anti-Middle East campaign.

YOU WEREN'T PROVEN INNOCENT, YOU C*** - THEY RAN OUT OF TIME BECAUSE YOU THREW AN ARMY OF LAWYERS AT IT, YOU LYING C***. EVERYONE ON EARTH KNOWS YOU ARE GUILTY AS SIN. F*** RIGHT OFF.

Motherf***ers.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
We now start the slow, bitter descent into the least super portion of the American sports schedule. Fart noises.

emilyghoul-smell.gif

We start the day with @JojoTheWhale on the clock. @DancingPanther is on deck, but he is hung WAY over, so we will give him all the time he needs to pull himself together. @BigToe is on the lido deck, and I am wearing his BigSandals on the lido afterdeck. They are quite roomy.

I'm not going to spend a bunch of time trying to make you feel better - I know from experience that it won't do any good, plus you all know who my team is, so it won't sound very soothing. But there is something. You will never, ever have to face your most hated team in the championship game and worry about losing to them. I can't begin to tell you how incredibly bad that feels when it happens. It feels so bad that even coming back years later and beating them doesn't really feel good - it's a relief not to lose again, and that's about the extent of it. You can't even bask in vengeance because you are just too worried beforehand about losing again. So at least you will never have to deal with that, which is something.

Big props to both Bradberry and Sirianni for not using that late call as an excuse. When you show class at the toughest moments, you have my respect.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
This is not a morning for thinking, so let's go with a quickie. This is Dr. Betsy Bryan.

24bryan.jpg

In the mid 2000s, Dr. Bryan was a Professor at Johns Hopkins who specialized in ancient Egyptian art and achitecture. She was trying to get more Freshmen into the Near Eastern department and luckily for us, she was willing to go a little outside the box to get there.

College Course II -- Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll in Egypt

@DancingPanther Did you know that the ancient Egyptians considered lettuce to be an aphrodisiac?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad