NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Proud(est) plat 😍

XB0vdAR.jpeg

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
TV Show - Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

613TCZSGP0L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I was going to pick this a few phases ago but then didn't because of something someone else picked. But now that person is no longer participating in the draft, so I'm taking it.

I remember watching it as a kid and liking it, but in hindsight I didn't really understand what it was. Then I saw it years later, realized what it really was, and loved it even more.

@pit sorry for the wait

I already have this as my gameshow under the original name of Takeshi's Castle, but I'm fine to let it ride if the powers that be are.

Continuing my Actor pick, I'm going for the stage/film combination but I'm doing it briefly so that I can leave work and go home.

Classically trained stage actress who has been with the RSC, National Theatre and a tony award winner on Broadway, she was also lauded as a sex bomb in The Avengers (not Marvel's).

DianaRigg.jpg

After a long career in film and tv, she was known most recently as Lady Tyrell in Game of Thrones. We'll bring all of her formidable elements, from leather catsuit to acid tongue, with us to the Quackverse.

lady-ollena.gif

@Magua ? Your picks?

tumblr_inline_p4262tpJ5s1t9ojau_500.gif

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I already have this as my gameshow under the original name of Takeshi's Castle, but I'm fine to let it ride if the powers that be are.
Ohhhhhhhhhh shit I completely misremembered that. My bad.

For some reason I thought it was Chinatown who picked that, which is why I thought it would be OK now that he wasn't participating.

I'm perfectly fine with picking something else if you want me to.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tonight, I will right a great wrong! We took a couple cover songs, but their albums and band itself remain in pick utero.....

The Honolulu Ghibli welcome to the stage our Team Band II: Nirvana

Kurt Cobain WILL be pulled out of Spite Band purgatory dammit. This is them, at their quietest:

3 studio albums -- that's it. Raspy melodic wailing, thumpy bass lines, ferocious drumming, with a haunting weaponized amount of restraint. You'll never ever confuse them for anyone else. They existed in a weird liminal space between whirlwind underground and mass popularity that somehow makes perfect sense while making no sense at all. My dad had their Unplugged album -- and only their Unplugged album -- so, when I was in elementary school, that was my entire Nirvana experience, half of it cover songs. I think it was better this way, seeing them at their poignant peak; I never labeled them as "that grunge band" because I knew better without knowing I knew better. Side note: Nirvana also had some of the most droll lyrics, which still make me smile.

For as aggressive as they could be, their true secret weapon was always that Cobain was an eclectic pop genius in a non-pop genius package. That clash is the band in a nutshell. I always wonder where they would've gone next because Cobain was too restless of a mind to churn out the same shit. I imagine more acoustics, more string arrangements.....progressively more atmosphere, distortion leading to processing, eventually a shift to hybrid electronica (I'm thinking like their own Kid A).

@CanadianFlyer88 -- It's okay to eat catfish, cause they don't have any feelings

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
TV Show II - Love, Death & Robots

It's a Netflix series that's a collection of animated short stories, made by various studios who are known for making animated films, video game cutscenes, trailers, and other stuff like that. There's three seasons so far and every episode is it's own unique and self-contained story. Some are comedic, some are action, some are horror. It has unlimited potential and hopefully there's many more seasons to come.

I'd highly recommend it. Just a warning though, it's very much rated R.

Love-Death-and-robots-volume-2-1152x648-1.jpg

ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvdHZzZXJpZXMvUlRUVjQyNjAyOC53ZWJw

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Our choice for Team Movie Ii almost got pick tipped in the "has @Lord Defect seen any movie these actresses have starred in?" discussion. I contemplated going elsewhere because of it and have decided that we'll go on a completely different tangent here. We're going for a comedy, which the other film decidedly isn't...

I'll watch this movie at least once a year. It's delightfully stupid and I know I'll laugh a lot,.even if I start watching in a sour mood.

Plus, how can you not enjoy a movie where the Rock dies in the first act? :laugh:

The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to select The Other Guys.

AAAABYJN33b7AQEAvmbh5vgh6N9h7mWbbgG75xSBiU4ol4LCsIUjflPWAeoC5c1191xGnuZJaztA6PTwGADL2SfSBTZ6v1...jpg

@Lord Defect, aim for the bushes.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Tonight, I will right a great wrong! We took a couple cover songs, but their albums and band itself remain in pick utero.....

The Honolulu Ghibli welcome to the stage our Team Band II: Nirvana

Kurt Cobain WILL be pulled out of Spite Band purgatory dammit. This is them, at their quietest:

3 studio albums -- that's it. Raspy melodic wailing, thumpy bass lines, ferocious drumming, with a haunting weaponized amount of restraint. You'll never ever confuse them for anyone else. They existed in a weird liminal space between whirlwind underground and mass popularity that somehow makes perfect sense while making no sense at all. My dad had their Unplugged album -- and only their Unplugged album -- so, when I was in elementary school, that was my entire Nirvana experience, half of it cover songs. I think it was better this way, seeing them at their poignant peak; I never labeled them as "that grunge band" because I knew better without knowing I knew better. Side note: Nirvana also had some of the most droll lyrics, which still make me smile.

For as aggressive as they could be, their true secret weapon was always that Cobain was an eclectic pop genius in a non-pop genius package. That clash is the band in a nutshell. I always wonder where they would've gone next because Cobain was too restless of a mind to churn out the same shit. I imagine more acoustics, more string arrangements.....progressively more atmosphere, distortion leading to processing, eventually a shift to hybrid electronica (I'm thinking like their own Kid A).

@CanadianFlyer88 -- It's okay to eat catfish, cause they don't have any feelings

You already know how much I love this pick. I strongly considered going with a Nirvana pick for Team Video and really only this morning figured out what I'm going to do there. I haven't actually listened to a Nirvana album all the way through in years now, save for playing Nevermind for a bunch of Gen Zers last year so that they could say that they actually listened to an album by that band whose t-shirts they all wear.

It's hard to overstate how important this band was on a personal level, how I sat on the floor of my living room next to my jaw the first time I saw Teen Spirit on MTV, how I borrowed a friend's cassette of Nevermind on a long school trip and played it on repeat the whole way, how I obsessed over a tiny bit of a new song that was played from a concert on an MTV news segment (it turned out to be the chorus of Rape Me, and not knowing the words, 'I'm not the only one' became 'On my way home again'), how I taped the radio premiere of Heart-Shaped Box off of DRE and then listened to it over and over again, how I walked immediately to The Wall at the Roosevelt Mall to buy In Utero the day it was released, and finally how I saw their last show in Philly, in what is now perhaps somewhat ironically the Arlen Specter Squash Center.

I think we definitely missed out on a dark yet ethereal acoustic album very much in the vein of but also a step beyond the Unplugged set. I can almost hear it in my head. I've never pondered beyond that, especially the electronica angle. That's a really interesting thought.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You already know how much I love this pick. I strongly considered going with a Nirvana pick for Team Video and really only this morning figured out what I'm going to do there. I haven't actually listened to a Nirvana album all the way through in years now, save for playing Nevermind for a bunch of Gen Zers last year so that they could say that they actually listened to an album by that band whose t-shirts they all wear.

It's hard to overstate how important this band was on a personal level, how I sat on the floor of my living room next to my jaw the first time I saw Teen Spirit on MTV, how I borrowed a friend's cassette of Nevermind on a long school trip and played it on repeat the whole way, how I obsessed over a tiny bit of a new song that was played from a concert on an MTV news segment (it turned out to be the chorus of Rape Me, and not knowing the words, 'I'm not the only one' became 'On my way home again'), how I taped the radio premiere of Heart-Shaped Box off of DRE and then listened to it over and over again, how I walked immediately to The Wall at the Roosevelt Mall to buy In Utero the day it was released, and finally how I saw their last show in Philly, in what is now perhaps somewhat ironically the Arlen Specter Squash Center.

I think we definitely missed out on a dark yet ethereal acoustic album very much in the vein of but also a step beyond the Unplugged set. I can almost hear it in my head. I've never pondered beyond that, especially the electronica angle. That's a really interesting thought.

I was going to take a video as well, but then I figured, “Screw it. I’ll take the band.” :laugh:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Our choice for Team Movie Ii almost got pick tipped in the "has @Lord Defect seen any movie these actresses have starred in?" discussion. I contemplated going elsewhere because of it and have decided that we'll go on a completely different tangent here. We're going for a comedy, which the other film decidedly isn't...

I'll watch this movie at least once a year. It's delightfully stupid and I know I'll laugh a lot,.even if I start watching in a sour mood.

Plus, how can you not enjoy a movie where the Rock dies in the first act? :laugh:

The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to select The Other Guys.

View attachment 647944

@Lord Defect, aim for the bushes.
I’ve seen the other guys, but now I’m wondering if I’ve seen your first choice.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Our team franchise that’s a franchise but we’re not taking franchises is going to star but not be lead by a Scottish actor playing a Spanish conquistador with a Scottish accent, except he’s actually Egyptian.
3ABB35B1-65BC-4022-B822-69383D09F23A.jpeg
601EDF83-D097-4C1F-8E96-9F3ED274A660.jpeg

Highlander
@CanadianFlyer88 there can be only one(film claimed from this franchise as per cap)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
CelsiusFlyer69 made a GREAT pick there - the movie is kind of "meh" to me, but the Rock dying in the first act? Hells to the yes. I have had the same kind of thought, but with Liam Neeson (Phantom Menace, Batman Begins, Roadhouse, etc.) DIE! DIE! DIE!

cTyCJ1z.gif

We start the day with him, @CanadianFlyer88, on the clock, @Magua on deck, pit on the lido deck, and CounterStriiker on the lido afterdeck. I'll update the tables and charts and shit in a bit - a lot of picks came in after I was already settled into my stories last night.

Speaking of which, I found out the other day that there is a Wu-Tang Clan series on Hulu, so I started watching it. I love these rags to riches stories about musicians, or at least some of them, or at least "Straight Outta Compton." With that one, I already loved NWA, and especially that title song - I mean I f***ing LOVE "Straight Outta Compton" (the song), and I really liked that movie a lot. I already knew a little about NWA - I know almost nothing about Wu-Tang. I am a little bit familiar with RZA, and I really like everything I know about him, but otherwise I am really devoid of information, including any familiarity with their music. For example, I thought FOR SURE that they were from Cleveland. OH F***! I just now realized who I was thinking of - Bone Thugs N Harmony. That was driving me nuts yesterday, but I didn't Google it because I wanted to figure it out.

Anyway, the Wu-Tang show through four or five eps isn't perfect, but it's totally good enough. I am really excited to watch what happens.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Our team franchise that’s a franchise but we’re not taking franchises is going to star but not be lead by a Scottish actor playing a Spanish conquistador with a Scottish accent, except he’s actually Egyptian.
View attachment 648005View attachment 648004
Highlander
@CanadianFlyer88 there can be only one(film claimed from this franchise as per cap)

My favorite thing is that after years of him never playing a Scottish dude, the one time he's in full-blown stereotypical Scotland in a film...he's an Egyptian Conquistador and not a Scot. I laugh about it every time I watch it.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I was introduced to our Team Author II by a roommate in university who had done some extensive globetrotting and had happened to read this guy's stuff along his travels.

This author is an American who spent most of his adult life in England and he meshes American and British humour into his writing in a way that hits the right notes for me. The majority of his books are about his own travels across the world, but he has written about things like history/science and even something mundane like the history of the English language. Not everything is a classic, but he succeeds in his writing more than he fails.

The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to select, the thunderbolt kid himself, the alliteratively named Bill Bryson.

4a9ff4d0-0ed2-11eb-8f7c-79ad9a302b55.jpeg

@Magua, we're saving Bill by taking him to the Quackverse, as he once said: "I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth."

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I already took “ Daydreaming” with my first music video, so might as well not wake up for my next one.

The Honolulu Ghibli sleepily mumble out our Team Music Video II: “Lullaby” by The Cure

These 80s-early 90s music videos just hit different, and I think this is the best one the band ever made. This song has one of my favorite hooks, and it is bursting with atmospheric creepiness and body horror for a video entirely about Robert Smith sitting on a bed in a dusty grimy room. It’s not machine gun flashes of barely relevant “artistic” images: it’s a well paced visual story that adds to the song.

Bloodcurdling @pit ! Amorphous pit! Toothsome pit!

Last edited:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Short on time, going for a straight up #lore pick.

Team College Course II - How To Stage A Revolution
3ueBstSR.gif

This course explores fundamental questions about the causes and nature of revolutions by looking at how people overthrow their rulers and establish new governments. Considers a set of major political transformations throughout the world and across centuries to understand the meaning of revolution and evaluate its impact. Examines how revolutionaries have attempted to establish their ideals and realize their goals. Asks whether radical upheavals require bloodshed, violence, or even terror. Seeks to explain why some revolutions succeed and others fail. Materials include the writings of revolutionaries, declarations and constitutions, music, films, art, novels, memoirs, and newspapers.

@Striiker
giphy.gif

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
In 2001, guitar virtuoso Derek Trucks married soul/blues singer Susan Tedeschi and the world became a better place. Derek, the nephew of Butch Trucks a founding member of the Allman Brothers band, is a slide and lead guitar prodigy. He was sitting in with the Allman Brothers at the age of 10 and by the age of 20, he had toured with the Allmans, Phil Lesh and friends and many other top acts. Here is a look at Derek doing what he does best

Oh, and by the way, he was only 13 there!

In 2007 he and Susan formed the Trucks Tedeschi band and they've been tearing it up ever since! So, please welcome home to Jacksonville and the Methgators family, our second official band: THE TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND!!
Here they are doing what they do best!

Derek and Susan live about 20 minutes away from me and, when they aren't on tour, they are often known to pop in to various local music venues. I don't know them personally, but we do have some mutual friends and I'm hoping to one day get to jam with one or both of them!

Bryan Danielson, do you dig the Tedeschi Trucks band?
1676060527872.png

@Young Sandwich , lay down some blues and make a pick!

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
This might be the loriest of lore picks ever lored. This video was a Sexpo before the Sexpos were even a thing. The song is shit unless you're blacked out in a club, but that's clearly not the reason for this pick. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

NSFW due to maximum gyration with minimum clothing.

Team Music Video II - Call On Me - Eric Prydz

Get a hold of yourself and fire one off @GKJ

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In 2001, guitar virtuoso Derek Trucks married soul/blues singer Susan Tedeschi and the world became a better place. Derek, the nephew of Butch Trucks a founding member of the Allman Brothers band, is a slide and lead guitar prodigy. He was sitting in with the Allman Brothers at the age of 10 and by the age of 20, he had toured with the Allmans, Phil Lesh and friends and many other top acts. Here is a look at Derek doing what he does best

Oh, and by the way, he was only 13 there!

In 2007 he and Susan formed the Trucks Tedeschi band and they've been tearing it up ever since! So, please welcome home to Jacksonville and the Methgators family, our second official band: THE TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND!!
Here they are doing what they do best!

Derek and Susan live about 20 minutes away from me and, when they aren't on tour, they are often known to pop in to various local music venues. I don't know them personally, but we do have some mutual friends and I'm hoping to one day get to jam with one or both of them!

Bryan Danielson, do you dig the Tedeschi Trucks band?
View attachment 648174

@Young Sandwich , lay down some blues and make a pick!

A musical dynasty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad