NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Though probably (certainly) more well known for her various roles as an adult film star, this lovely young lady is also an author, actress, musician and model. Author, perfect. Count it.

pyr3.jpg

sasha-grey-343250-330-540.jpg

Team Author II - Sasha Grey (Marina Ann Hantzis)

@GKJ I wonder what The Janus Chamber is about?

What amazes me is not that you took her in this category but that none of your actor/actresses have been adult film stars yet.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
You may have picked up on the fact that we here in Lakehurst are music lovers. Indeed, we contrived to have 4 bands already in the fold through assorted loopholes:

1) Sebadoh - the band I've seen play live the most times
2) Teenage Fanclub - my all time favorite band, who I surprisingly have only caught live once, and relatively recently at that
3) Dinosaur, Jr. - the band I've seen play live most recently
4) Radiohead - the first band I ever saw play live

That's a nice mix of great music from both sides of the Atlantic, but as I look at the list I'm realizing that something is amiss, namely that it's all dudes. To bring balance back to the NJFZ sector of the Quackverse, we need a queen, and not just any queen but one that's big, say 50 ft. tall or so.

pj-harvey-pj003mmac.jpg

Team Band / Musician II: PJ Harvey

Incidentally, when I was planning out attending my first show, there were two acts on back-to-back? nights at the TLA that I was considering, the one I ultimately attended--Radiohead--and the other I skipped but now desperately wished I had gone to in addition to the RH show--that's right, PJ Harvey.

For my money, the inimitable Polly Jean Harvey is arguably the greatest creative musical force of her generation. She's a Bowiesque shapeshifter, a punk blues Dylan, a contralto with a 4 octave range capable of expressing ecstasy, agony, and every emotion in between, an almost embarrassingly gifted songwriter whose demos and b-sides rival the very best work of her peers. Everything she's ever released has been good, but she's notched 5 immediately classic albums: Dry, Rid of Me, Down by the Water, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, and Let England Shake. She picks up Mercury Prize nominations and awards the way the Stay Pufts pick up Danny Brieres. Not bad for a farm girl from Dorset. But I'm rambling again, let's just let her music do the talking, shall we? How about one from each of the aforementioned classic albums.

I did eventually get to see PJ, but only once at the Electric Factory back when she was touring for Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, an album that's part joyful love letter to a 9 month stint in NYC. If memory serves, that show was on September 8, 2001.

@Chuck Downie, what's your favorite PJ album?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It always sucks when football is finished (or nearly so), but the football offseason is pretty full these days, all things considered.

one-piece-monkey-d-luffy.gif

We start the day with @Beef Invictus Lo Mein on the clock, @JojoTheWhale Lo Mein on deck, @DancingPanther Lo Mein on the lido deck, and Big Toe Mein on the lido afterdeck. That's me in the corner - that's me in the spotlight, waiting for my turn. That f***ing stupid Lays commercial with Eli and the C***Bus on a bus is on. :facepalm:

It's cold as f*** right now. I mean I'm inside, but it's cold as f*** out there. The chicken shit has frozen super hard. I've got jack shit to report, other than the fact that season four of "Fauda" f***ing rules.

"It's cold outside, it gets so hot in here
And the boys and girls collide to the music in my ear"

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thank you Chuck! Better Chuck! Unadvised Chuck! Average Chuck!

I'm gonna do an author. She's awesome.

ANNA KOMNENE

Kolovou.jpeg

Anna was the eldest child of the emperor Alexios Komnenos. She was a badass.

Having a skull filled with formidably wrinkled brainmush, Anna received a top notch education in just about everything. Including politics, diplomacy, and military matters. Alexios had her educated and trained as if he expected her to rule; that may have been the intended plan until her original husband died, as they needed him to sit on the throne for her even if he was a puppet or de facto co-ruler. Her younger brother was named heir. Anna was actually put in charge of Stuff and by all accounts, she ran the Stuff extremely well. She was apparently a pretty gifted physician, and ran a humongous hospital in Constantinople as well as teaching medicine. She was clearly a crushing intellect to do these things in an 11th century that wasn't welcoming of women doing those things, and to come away from it praised by writers rather than slandered like most women.

Alas, she seems to have tried to usurp her younger brother. Maybe; maybe not. Her brother at minimum recognized that as a highly respected person who was probably way more capable and cunning, it would be best to stay ahead of her and her holdings were taken. Her second husband refused to take the throne with her anyway. So her bro had her convented the moment her husband died which would prevent her from possibly digging up a husband more willing to take a run at power to claim what she very boldly considered her right. Technically he had the authority to approve all her marriages, but she seems to have been more than independent and influential enough to manage it without his permission. While she was nunning around, she dove into history and philosopy and remained an intellectual powerhouse who gathered Smart People to her. She hosted discussions and debates. She wrote The Alexiad, a history of her father's reign and justification of her own rights and a vital source for the era. Even contemporary clergy, who weren't exactly approving of women living as she had, respected her as the intellectual pinnacle of their time.

I think I'll make her my team's trainer.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I was trying to figure out how to draw a mental distinction between the book and author categories. I eventually resorted to scanning the shelves behind me and came face to face with the answer that turns the specificity into an advantage.

There's a book I love. Every few years, I got the idea to try to read another piece by the same author and every single time, I hate not just the writing, but the author a little bit more. I've come to realize this is because Kingsley Amis was an unrepentant asshole who fashioned that into an identity. But he did write one fantastic book. There's a particular brand of drunken bucking against pretense and boredom that can only be endearing coming from the British. As Amis would show dozens and dozens of times over subsequent decades, even reaching the height of this approach doesn't guarantee you can get there again. Separating out not just the rest of his work, but the man himself is the dream scenario here.

51BpqXildZL.jpg

Team Book -- Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

There's also a copy of Amis' Everyday Drinking on the same shelf. That was so disheartening I kept it to remind me never to try reading his other works again.

@DancingPanther Show dog please.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you Chuck! Better Chuck! Unadvised Chuck! Average Chuck!

I'm gonna do an author. She's awesome.

ANNA KOMNENE

Kolovou.jpeg

Anna was the eldest child of the emperor Alexios Komnenos. She was a badass.

Having a skull filled with formidably wrinkled brainmush, Anna received a top notch education in just about everything. Including politics, diplomacy, and military matters. Alexios had her educated and trained as if he expected her to rule; that may have been the intended plan until her original husband died, as they needed him to sit on the throne for her even if he was a puppet or de facto co-ruler. Her younger brother was named heir. Anna was actually put in charge of Stuff and by all accounts, she ran the Stuff extremely well. She was apparently a pretty gifted physician, and ran a humongous hospital in Constantinople as well as teaching medicine. She was clearly a crushing intellect to do these things in an 11th century that wasn't welcoming of women doing those things, and to come away from it praised by writers rather than slandered like most women.

Alas, she seems to have tried to usurp her younger brother. Maybe; maybe not. Her brother at minimum recognized that as a highly respected person who was probably way more capable and cunning, it would be best to stay ahead of her and her holdings were taken. Her second husband refused to take the throne with her anyway. So her bro had her convented the moment her husband died which would prevent her from possibly digging up a husband more willing to take a run at power to claim what she very boldly considered her right. Technically he had the authority to approve all her marriages, but she seems to have been more than independent and influential enough to manage it without his permission. While she was nunning around, she dove into history and philosopy and remained an intellectual powerhouse who gathered Smart People to her. She hosted discussions and debates. She wrote The Alexiad, a history of her father's reign and justification of her own rights and a vital source for the era. Even contemporary clergy, who weren't exactly approving of women living as she had, respected her as the intellectual pinnacle of their time.

I think I'll make her my team's trainer.
Not impressive. There was less to learn back then so it was easy to learn everything.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Oh, man, @BigToe. I had completely forgotten about that movie. I absolutely hated it. :laugh:

I remember being so jazzed for that movie, seeing it in theaters. Scorsese does Hitchcock -- inject it into my veins! It's visually stunning and eerie, as expected, and I even liked the first half and certain scenes, but it flies off the rails jamming in that last act. I definitely didn't hate it though.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
We took On the Waterfront as our classic film, so I guess we'll snap up the film's star for our next actor selection.

One of the most renowned and influential actors of the 20th Century, his career spanned decades and he churned out memorable performances across the board.

The Seattle Sockeyes are surprised he was still on the board, but are thrilled to select Marlon Brando.

View attachment 644581

@Magua, a Brando quote that could be plastered on the halls of the Wells Fargo Center: never confuse the size of your paycheque with the size of your talent.
I used to live by the park where the actress dropped her glove and Brando picked it up. Movie purists loved it as it was not scripted and Brando didn’t miss a beat.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I remember being so jazzed for that movie, seeing it in theaters. Scorsese does Hitchcock -- inject it into my veins! It's visually stunning and eerie, as expected, and I even liked the first half and certain scenes, but it flies off the rails jamming in that last act. I definitely didn't hate it though.

I also theatered it! For the same reasons! It feels like it's really close to being great, but just doesnt get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad