GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The thing is, there are rumours that Trouba has put it out through his agent that he would not report if claimed. No team is going to bother dealing with that mess.

At this point, it seems more than likely that Trouba is going to be a Ranger in 24-25. Which is making it awkward with the management, but it is what it is.
I'm thinking the players really need to fight this bullshit in the next CBA.

I'm the last MF you will ever hear hope for a labor stoppage, but seriously Drury...honor your f***ing contracts. Quit trying to be a lawyer and stop trying to find every loophole possible to allow you to piss on people.

That being said, I find what Trouba, as a hockey player and captain of an original six team, is doing by setting an example of family first is flipping terrific. He's fighting this stuff so hard because to him, this is about his wife's wants, needs and opportunity.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm thinking the players really need to fight this bullshit in the next CBA.

I'm the last MF you will ever hear hope for a labor stoppage, but seriously Drury...honor your f***ing contracts. Quit trying to be a lawyer and stop trying to find every loophole possible to allow you to piss on people.

That being said, I find what Trouba, as a hockey player and captain of an original six team, is doing by setting an example of family first is flipping terrific. He's fighting this stuff so hard because to him, this is about his wife's wants, needs and opportunity.
I respect Trouba doing what is best for his family. That being said, as a fan, you really shouldn't cherish this. And him pulling this BS is effectively altering his contract, turning his M-NTC to a NMC.

It's hard enough to make moves in the NHL because of the tight cap. These clauses make it worse. And it's not serving the fans right. Like I said, I don't blame Trouba and have sympathy for his family in this situation. But on the other hand, he's making millions of dollars for playing hockey. Not that sorry for him when I'm trying to make the ends meet in a dead end job.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I respect Trouba doing what is best for his family. That being said, as a fan, you really shouldn't cherish this. And him pulling this BS is effectively altering his contract, turning his M-NTC to a NMC.

It's hard enough to make moves in the NHL because of the tight cap. These clauses make it worse. And it's not serving the fans right. Like I said, I don't blame Trouba and have sympathy for his family in this situation. But on the other hand, he's making millions of dollars for playing hockey. Not that sorry for him when I'm trying to make the ends meet in a dead end job.
The way I see it, Trouba turned in a list as required by his contract. Drury is now threatening to waive him. The treat to waive is what the players need to address. It's a loophole that is allowing dickhead GMs to get around the NMC/NTC protection the players have earned and been awarded by the team. These GMs are basically attempting to create a mulligan for themselves at the expense of screwing over the very players they've signed.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The thing is, there are rumours that Trouba has put it out through his agent that he would not report if claimed. No team is going to bother dealing with that mess.
Fine, then he's suspended without pay and he can stay with his wife as long as he wants.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Fine, then he's suspended without pay and he can stay with his wife as long as he wants.
You know...as a GM, if you have absolutely no intentions of honoring an NTC or an NMC, you can actually in fact... offer players contracts without those clauses. That way they understand they are pieces of shit to be dumped at the first sign of adversity in your eyes from day 1.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The whole Trouba-saga has nothing to do with Trouba himself. His wife has a residency in a NY hospital until 2025, and they just had a baby this season. For him, it's a no-go to be traded anywhere right now (well, maybe Devils or Islanders but that's not happening). That's why he's making things difficult for the Rangers. Has nothing to do with Red Wings specifically.
How in the world would the trouba family be able to go on and care for a young child if she wasn't able to complete that residency there and had to complete it elsewhere ??

OR better yet -> 'f*** it' and just take advantage of the $50+ MILLION DOLLARS that your husbands career has benefitted you and that you should have stored in the bank and live life to it's fullest and spend that time with your family because that's likely what's going to happen in the end when she starts to realize that it's certainly not an easy line of work - especially when you don't have to do it.

To each their own though.

Reactions: Linds

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nah the Rangers can do what they please. Trouba has value around the league to some team(s), so if NYR are willing to say "f*** it, we want nothing back" and waive him more power to them.

If Trouba wants to be a little baby and threaten not to report, he has every right to. I have a funny feeling as soon as he is suspended without pay, though, that his feelings miiiiight just change.

If you wanted your full NMC, you should have negotiated for that. Not NYR fault.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You know...as a GM, if you have absolutely no intentions of honoring an NTC or an NMC, you can actually in fact... offer players contracts without those clauses. That way they understand they are pieces of shit to be dumped at the first sign of adversity in your eyes from day 1.
Trouba doesn't have a NMC. So waiving him isn't really not honoring his contract tbf.

Reactions: missionAvs

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
It's pretty well known that NTC don't protect you from waivers.

Way back in the day there was all sorts or news that Dan Boyle accepted a trade out of Tampa since the team threatened to put him on waivers if he used his ntc to block a trade.

The players know this is a possibility and there have been two CBAs since then where this hasn't been a big issue.

New York and Vegas treating players like toilet paper isn't a surprise. They can get away with it and players will still want to be there.

Until you see a middle market team do this I don't think the NHLPA will raise much fuss about it. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. Until it starts to become common enough that it's a real threat.

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Nah the Rangers can do what they please. Trouba has value around the league to some team(s), so if NYR are willing to say "f*** it, we want nothing back" and waive him more power to them.

If Trouba wants to be a little baby and threaten not to report, he has every right to. I have a funny feeling as soon as he is suspended without pay, though, that his feelings miiiiight just change.

If you wanted your full NMC, you should have negotiated for that. Not NYR fault.
Yeah, I'm on this side of the argument. Trouba had every right to negotiate for a full NMC, which would have meant less AAV on the contract (or maybe the Rangers would have flat out refused to give him one).

But he didn't, probably because he thought, like probably every high-end professional athlete, that "my performance level will never drop to point that a team would give me away for free."

If memory serves, it was the Rangers who were the first team to exploit waivers as a way to get out of a full NTC and save money on the cap (back when AHL salaries did not count against the cap), when they waived and sent down Wade Redden, another defenseman who moved from a Canadian team and whose play degenerated enough to be barely worthy of third-pair minutes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Should be noted that the contract he negotiated had a full NTC or NMC for the first five years, which should have covered the length of his wife’s medical residency. But for whatever reason, maybe pandemic-related, she delayed a year, so the final year of that residency won’t be done until 2025.

I don’t really fault the Rangers or Trouba here, this is business. Teams try and trade players who have trade protection all the damned time. And conversely, I don’t blame any player for using the protection that’s right there in their contract. What’s totally out of bounds is blaming or villainizing Trouba’s wife, which I understand some fans and media have done.

Any last minute signings on a crazy good value like E-Rod?
Daniel is the only guy who Sprongs to mind. But Avs can’t afford him and I don’t think he’d be a good fit.

Lorentz or lankinen..

Other than being a big, good physical guy, is Lorentz any good? Not sure what value Lankinen has at this point either.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Other than being a big, good physical guy, is Lorentz any good? Not sure what value Lankinen has at this point either.
I just think his size could be nice as as 4c, and what other goalie do you get? Did we sign one out of development camp, cause we still only have 3.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Lorentz is pretty solid. He's got speed and physicality, and some offensive pop (in spite of what his 3 points last year indicates). He was caught in a numbers game last season, but even so Panthers fans have been rallying for him to be re-upped.

Colorado has really been galaxy braining the 4C spot the last few years. You can get a halfway decent option for league minimum, but they keep rolling the dice on guys like Olofsson and Sedlak (and now possibly Wagner).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Lorentz is pretty solid. He's got speed and physicality, and some offensive pop (in spite of what his 3 points last year indicates). He was caught in a numbers game last season, but even so Panthers fans have been rallying for him to be re-upped.

Colorado has really been galaxy braining the 4C spot the last few years. You can get a halfway decent option for league minimum, but they keep rolling the dice on guys like Olofsson and Sedlak (and now possibly Wagner).
How is Lorentz on faceoffs and defensively? Would love a C that can win a defensive zone draw instead of it being an immediate sustained possession for the opposing team.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
How is Lorentz on faceoffs and defensively? Would love a C that can win a defensive zone draw instead of it being an immediate sustained possession for the opposing team.

In his career, he's 9% better at face-offs than Olofsson... which still means he's bad (48.7%). He's decent defensively though and is a hardworking player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just think his size could be nice as as 4c, and what other goalie do you get? Did we sign one out of development camp, cause we still only have 3.
I'm guessing they will try what they consistently do, which is not give a f*** about goaltending until the last possible moment, either shoving a guy in there off of waivers (because that worked out so very well last year) or just trading for someone when they absolutely have to.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Friendly reminder that the Edmonton Oilers not only traded down in 2021 with the Minnesota Wild who proceeded to select Jesper Wallstedt with Edmonton's original pick, they also ignored the advice of Paul Coffey who went to management and told them to pick Wyatt Johnston because he thought he was the best player in the draft.

Instead they selected Xavier Bourgault, and Johnston went one pick later to Dallas.

Xavier f***ing Bourgault. Lol.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I leave for my one week of summer vacation and you fools scared away the only positive person in this forum....

1721062041053.png

"Leave @Sea Eagles Alone!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad