News Article: No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah but Nylander is the better goal scorer and does it without the benefit of Matthews. His line mates are just a carousel of players at times and the guy just keeps on trucking along.

It is definitely tough to quantify how much the linemates play a role in these things because Matthews also benefits from playing with Marner. Still though, playing with a 69 goal scorer is sure to boost your assists and I wouldn’t put a ton of emphasis just on p/gp.
Better goal scorer for sure.
IMO, p/pg is the easiest way to measure offensive impact.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It is Ottawa's Stanley Cup, that is why they do well.
I hear that about a lot of teams that play the Leafs. Maybe the next coach will be less inclined to instruct the team to "have some fun" and have them prepared for other team's "Stanley Cup" games

Reactions: ACC1224

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
If y'all want another good read, check out this one:

The great irony of the Toronto Maple Leafs is that Kyle Dubas was right​

The ex Gm was right, but he just never got the results he deserved

"The Toronto Maple Leafs will live to regret letting Kyle Dubas go in favor of keeping Brendan Shanahan on as president. Although it doesn't seem like it now, the NHL's youngest executive came withing inches of revolutionizing the NHL during his time running the league's premier franchise."

Still not clicking on the editor in queef !

Oh yeah, fake glasses received Leafs with Matthews, Nylander and Marner on ELC. Kadri, Hyman and all the picks in the world.

Never won division.

Sucked big time in playoffs.

Depleted organization of all assets - picks, prospects, cap space.

Man was a genius! He was inches away from f*cking the Leafs over even more? I find that hard to believe!

Oh yeah, man that gave MITCH FREAKING MARNER 11M and MNC as RFA. The same brilliant GM was right?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I hear that about a lot of teams that play the Leafs. Maybe the next coach will be less inclined to instruct the team to "have some fun" and have them prepared for other team's "Stanley Cup" games

Maybe, but it looks like the longer he has to influence a team the worse they do, so not sure that will be the case.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Last 5 years:
PlayerGPGAPBelak Points
Auston Matthews
350​
257​
187​
444​
701​
Mitch Marner
335​
127​
288​
415​
542​
William Nylander
364​
162​
204​
366​
528​
John Tavares
358​
137​
194​
331​
468​
That's using five seasons.

Over the four most recent seasons:

Matthews - 574
Marner - 459
Nylander - 438
Tavares - 382

Over the three most recent seasons:

Matthews - 467
Nylander - 379
Marner - 372
Tavares - 313

Over the two most recent seasons:

Matthews - 301
Nylander - 265
Marner - 240
Tavares - 225

Last season:

Matthews - 176
Nylander - 138
Marner - 111
Tavares - 94

Even ignoring the different quality of centres, it's clear that Marner may have been better before, but certainly isn't any more.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You were close. Perhaps this is the year he moves past Marner?
Sorry - didn't think I really needed to explain the quote.

You missed the point of my post.

But you're right - it's entirely likely he passes Marner in sheer points this year, especially if Marner doesn't play with Matthews or Nylander doesn't play with Tavares.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Sorry - didn't think I really needed to explain the quote.

You missed the point of my post.

But you're right - it's entirely likely he passes Marner in sheer points this year, especially if Marner doesn't play with Matthews or Nylander doesn't play with Tavares.
It's not 'entirely likely' when he's never done it before but sure it could happen.
Now if he'd pay a little more attention to the defensive side of the game and becomes a little more of an all around player, it becomes less likely.

Who they play with shouldn't be an excuse for players at that pay level.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's not 'entirely likely' when he's never done it before but sure it could happen.
Now if he'd pay a little more attention to the defensive side of the game and becomes a little more of an all around player, it becomes less likely.

Who they play with shouldn't be an excuse for players at that pay level.
Considering that, as I pointed out, Marner has been pretty constant over the years while Nylander has steadily improved, even ignoring context it's a quite valid expectation.

Who they play with isn't an excuse, but a reasonable consideration. Do you think Marner would produce as well playing with Kampf as his centre?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Considering that, as I pointed out, Marner has been pretty constant over the years while Nylander has steadily improved, even ignoring context it's a quite valid expectation.

Who they play with isn't an excuse, but a reasonable consideration. Do you think Marner would produce as well playing with Kampf as his centre?
Yes as pointed out Nylander had much more room to improve. It's great he has but still a ways to go to be a more rounded player.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
(Between marner and Nylander - exclude Matthews)

If I want someone to set-up a goal scorer it would be marner.
If I want someone to score that goal it would be Nylander.

Again ...

Last 5 years, when they were both men (playoffs):

View attachment 902147
Would a Marner-Tavares-Nylander line work in the playoffs? Tavares gets to do his grinder work along the boards, and Marner has a shooter to get the puck to for open looks. I think they would need a solid 3C to make that work. Knies-Matthews-Domi

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Let’s just play them together then if one scores, likely the other gets an assist so their offence is close

If one gets scored on than most likely the other gets scored on too, so their defence will be similar too

;)

• Haha

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Let’s just play them together then if one scores, likely the other gets an assist so their offence is close

If one gets scored on than most likely the other gets scored on too, so their defence will be similar too

;)
Nylander can play either wing, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Together they should be able to carry a younger, developing center.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Nothing but clickbait from that pathetically shitty website, and some people are actually falling for it.
Exactly. And the owners of said websites are desperate for any cash flow which subjects them to paid influences like The Marner Defense Conglomerate™ of Quartexx Management and its subsidiary Rocket Security.

How desperate Mitchy must be.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Coaches don't specifically game plan against the Leafs in the regular season the way they do in the playoffs. You can clearly see when teams (like Ottawa) do come with a specific game plan, they generally do well against the Leafs.
Exactly. If you're playing "Team A" one night and "Team B" the next night you won't have time to practice different ways of shutting a team down. In a seven game series however it's totally different.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Last 5 years:
PlayerGPGAPBelak Points
Auston Matthews
350​
257​
187​
444​
701​
Mitch Marner
335​
127​
288​
415​
542​
William Nylander
364​
162​
204​
366​
528​
John Tavares
358​
137​
194​
331​
468​
Belak Points?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes as pointed out Nylander had much more room to improve. It's great he has but still a ways to go to be a more rounded player.
Already a more rounded player than Marner, and likely to become even more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad