Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
We will miss both players. I do think we're a bit worse today than yesterday.
Both made key plays in the playoffs that helped tip the scales in the Canucks and Stars series particularly.

Holloway one hurts. Gut says he thought we'd match for sure. His interview for the Blues welcome has scripted/robotic vibes. Did we need Perry re-signed? Did we need to jump on Josh Brown? Two contracts for a 13F and 7D that frankly we wouldn't have missed and allowed us to swallow the pill easier on keeping Holloway.

Broberg I understand. The flashes in these playoffs make it tough also. Convinced he was more valuable to the team than Nurse in the playoffs, just has a better head for the game honestly.

Cupboards are bare as it is, and we have now seen a huge chunk of our young and contributing talent go out this summer in McLeod, Broberg and Holloway. Penalty kill takes a big hit with the departures of Vinny, Ceci and McLeod again as well. Youth and special teams weakened and it hasn't been replenished (at least not yet). Podkolzin, Savoie, Emberson these are all still hopefuls as any sort of replacements.

This blows. I need a Draisaitl extension yesterday to swing the Oilers mood pendulum again.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Why? They have done as good as they can to respond without destroying the cap structure (and actually fixing it, it seems). Pod instead of Holloway is a bit of a toss up at the moment. Emberson instead of Broberg is a downgrade in potential and skill, but on the ice, it seems that Emberson actually looked more stable in his limited games that Broberg did in his. Of course, we lose that top end potential, most likely, but it looks like we've already replaced both players we lost, with marginal downgrades, and some draft picks to help fill the Ceci hole later if needed. I don't see what there is to be embarassed about.

Bowman/JJ lost 3 players from the group of dmen that got us to game 7 and replaced them with scrubs and tweeners, and now we have a worse defense than the Maple Leafs. That is embarrassing to me.

Reactions: alphahelix

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
also gave them some leverage in negotiating with St Louis. I doubt they would've been able to squeeze the extra 3rd and a prospect out of the Blues if they didnt have the room Ceci created to spook them into thinking we were potentially going to match
If that’s the case. Decent competence by Bowman and JJ. The rare GM squeeze happened, I’m fine with that.

Reactions: sepHF

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
Not having to put Kane on LTIR to start the year means we can add a 5 mil player at the deadline as it stands. That's a 10 mil player with retention, so we can essentially add any defenceman we want that's available if we're willing to put assets up.

It's much better this way as long as we're in playoff contention.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Along with nurse ceci was clearly the weak link all playoffs. Best to just address it now and get over with it.

Suspect the team spent all summer looking at the best cheap option to improve nurse.
No doubt that pairing wasn’t good enough. Ceci and his 3.25M needed to go it sounds like from a cap and roster quality perspective. I just hope Nurse can even be saved with anyone. That last playoff run made me think he may be unsaveable.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
By trading Ceci now, we are cap compliant to start the year without putting Kane on LTIR, and can start accruing cap space. With him still on the roster, we couldn’t have done that with a full roster.

Exactly. And it makes a big difference. If Kane’s out all year but you start compliant, you can add a 5 million dollar player to replace him as well as gaining the 4+ million in accrued cap for the deadline

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
We got a 2nd a 3rd and a little bit of cap space to acquire a d-man if need be. That's a win to me.
Yeah, I think we came through all of this pretty well actually. There is still some work to do but at least we have options now.
to be honest, the longer the Draisaitl thing drags out the more nervous I get. I still think he signs though

Reactions: JeffSkinner53

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bowman/JJ lost 3 players from the group of dmen that got us to game 7 and replaced them with scrubs and tweeners, and now we have a worse defense than the Maple Leafs. That is embarrassing to me.
The Leafs defense has always been average. It's their core that never show up for the playoffs.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Holloway didn’t seem too happy in his little interview today. I believe he said he hasn’t heard anything from the Oilers all week. He must have been sweating all week.

I get it, I might have done the same, but kick rocks kid. Spent a 1st round pick and years of patient development on this kid, kinda hope he regrets his decision. Same goes for Broberg but with that payday he won’t regret a thing, I absolutely would have took that money too.

Holland should have just been trading 1sts for basically his whole tenure. Bourgault was a bust, Holloway and Broberg took years of development and left, at least we got something out of Schaeffer.

Imagine having 2-3 more Henrique/Ekholm tier players on this team, even just that RD we’ve been needing for so long.

Sounds like Bowman isn’t shy when it comes to spending 1sts so I hope he gets it done

Reactions: CycloneSweep

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am pissed today. Losing both Broberg, and Holloway 2 young players. We got basicly nothing for them too. Our defense is hacked to pieces now. St Louis will be my most hated team next season. I sure hope we can make it to the finals again but I am having my doubts.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think referring to the guts we picked up as scrubs and tweeners, when 2 of the players we lost were awful in the playoffs and one has failed to grab a full time NHL job in his career is disingenuous.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
With hindsight, Broberg and Holloway should have went for Buchnevich. I believe St. Louis was asking for the two after the Henrique trade was done and the Oilers used the 1st. The difference in the Florida series would have been Buch. I don't see Florida beating us with Buch.

We would also have Buch this year as well at 50% if the trade went thru.

Reactions: Duke74

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Exactly. And it makes a big difference. If Kane’s out all year but you start compliant, you can add a 5 million dollar player to replace him as well as gaining the 4+ million in accrued cap for the deadline

Yup. We can all be bitter about the offer sheets, and be upset as to why they were allowed to happen, but once they happened, the focus had to shift to what was best moving forward, and I think management made the smart move. It may not look like it today, but hopefully the picture will be clearer by trade deadline. Never a dull moment with this team.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
LOL at this fan base. Everyone and their dog had Broberg as a throw into trade talks the last 2 years. He has a few good games and now he is the saviour. A team with cup aspiration can not over pay Broberg this much and I likely Broberg. ( he might not even want to be here). Also just looking at the stats Emberson seem to be a better defence man than Ceci and he was on a far worse team. Placing Kane on LTIR and resigning both players would only be kicking the can down the road and would have us trying to deal with this midseason. Right now we are under the cap by around 950 K so we can add roughly a 6 million dollar D at the trade deadline if we get 50% retained.

* Side note: Akey will make the team soon enough and he will be much better than Broberg or Ceci .

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yup. We can all be bitter about the offer sheets, and be upset as to why they were allowed to happen, but once they happened, the focus had to shift to what was best moving forward, and I think management made the smart move. It may not look like it today, but hopefully the picture will be clearer by trade deadline. Never a dull moment with this team.
Really they were allowed to happen because the CBA allows it. People can “guarantee” that they could have signed both of them for cheap at the start of free agency, but they don’t know that at all. From the sounds of things this was Broberg’s agents plan all
Along.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder now if the Blues reported offer to Henrique, higher than the Oilers offer, was also part of this master plan to snag Broberg and Holloway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad