GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Friendly reminder that the Edmonton Oilers not only traded down in 2021 with the Minnesota Wild who proceeded to select Jesper Wallstedt with Edmonton's original pick, they also ignored the advice of Paul Coffey who went to management and told them to pick Wyatt Johnston because he thought he was the best player in the draft.

Instead they selected Xavier Bourgault, and Johnston went one pick later to Dallas.

Xavier f***ing Bourgault. Lol.
And they still might win the cup with incompetent management.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mandolese has been a bit of a victim of a numbers game for Ottawa. He's always been the 3rd goalie prospect and tagged along with that. As a result of that, he hasn't had the workload you'd really want for a younger goalie. Big, shows minor flashes of athleticism with quick legs while down... but reads the play slow and lateral movement side to side is very weak. If he ever learns to stop giving up soft goals, he can be an AHL starter.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
They couldn't just sign someone in UFA?

Granted, I know nothing of how to interpret the advanced stats for goaltenders, but this guy doesn't scream "worth trading for", when you could've gotten someone like Lankinen is just sitting there.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Granted, I know nothing of how to interpret the advanced stats for goaltenders, but this guy doesn't scream "worth trading for", when you could've gotten someone like Lankinen is just sitting there.
This is more of a contingency move and the equivalent to future considerations. It won't stop them from signing Lankinen or a better #3 if they want to come here for cheap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Lankinen wants a NHL job or at least a competition for it. Avs have decided Annunen is their man and don't want to upset that possibility. Mandolese is a guy who won't threaten the NHL pecking order, needs games, and could be a slight surprise in the AHL.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019

CMac will never make the easy and obvious move

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Surely one of these 3 back-ups on the depth chart or one of the 3 goalies we just drafted turns out to be somewhat capable of stopping pucks and being a starter, right?.... RIGHT?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I quite like Mandolese, an athletic goaler with good but not great positioning and reflexes. I actually think there is some NHL back up talent and quality there, but he probably finds himself more as an AHL starter for his career.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium