GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He’s not going to even be the backup.
Well obviously not because him and his agent think they deserve a real shot in the NHL. And they are probably not wrong, Nashville was going to put him back in the AHL.

What good is it to be a backup in that situation anyway, knowing you have no chance to become the #1 when Saros has 9 years left on his contract?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well obviously not because him and his agent think they deserve a real shot in the NHL. And they are probably not wrong, Nashville was going to put him back in the AHL.

What good is it to be a backup in that situation anyway, knowing you have no chance to become the #1 when Saros has 9 years left on his contract?
I get the ask… just saying the Preds didn’t have him lined up to be the backup.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I get the ask… just saying the Preds didn’t have him lined up to be the backup.
Well, they made their choice by giving Saros that massive extension. I guess Trotz changed everything because he's pushing all in now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Trotz is building a team around ROR, Stamkos and Marchessault like it's 2014.
Askarov has already played two full seasons in the AHL, with pretty good stats. 3 NHL games in those two years. Assets wise, I would've had Askarov as the backup for this year, and see what he is made of. Is Saros expendable.

Then again, the prices for Markström and Ullmark this offseason were.... not great.

I fully understand Askarov being pissed that they are now basically throwing him to the AHL again. He hasn't even had a proper chance in the NHL, though he deserves it.

But Nashville can't justify asking top price for him, no matter how good he is. Goalie prices are not great, and he isn't established in the NHL. I somehow have a feeling that Askarov is going to f*** over back to the KHL before the season starts because Trotz can't swallow his pride and admit that his trade value isn't as big as he thinks it is. And Askarov is pissed because he hasn't got a proper chance with Nashville and will never get it now.

Reactions: Murzu

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Well the prognosis was always 12-16 months. Lonzo Ball has just recently been cleared for full basketball activities, no limitations, at 16 months.

So I'm expecting Landy is a full go come training camp if all goes well.
Which would then imply that his rehab program has him skating right now (or after a couple of weeks off) and he's building up his lateral motion and strength and speed.

All items missing during his last video performance.

Has anyone seen Landy skate or working out of late? Are there any video teasers we can see?

Or is it all happening covertly under cover?

I am tired of conjecture and assumption.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Which would then imply that his rehab program has him skating right now (or after a couple of weeks off) and he's building up his lateral motion and strength and speed.

All items missing during his last video performance.

Has anyone seen Landy skate or working out of late? Are there any video teasers we can see?

Or is it all happening covertly under cover?

I am tired of conjecture and assumption.
I'm pretty sure the Avs do everything covertly under cover. I certainly wouldn't expect any news or updates until training camp.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I'm pretty sure the Avs do everything covertly under cover. I certainly wouldn't expect any news or updates until training camp.
Yeah... but I'm pretty sure Mars knows what ice times the Avs have reserved at Family Sports during the summer and can slip in un-noticed. lol

I really want to put this Landeskog thing to rest. (Hopefully with a successful return.)

Tired of constant speculation.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Maybe @the_fan needs to explain to Crosby that playing for Colorado to fulfill Nate's "playing with Sid" fantasy technically doesn't count as cheating
Crosby and Karlsson at 50% each for Nuke Girard Ritchie any five other prospects the Pens want and the next four first rounders.

Saves some under the cap which can be allocated to an illegal bonus payment to Wood that counts against the cap. But why the f*** not?

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I should have my own talk show about stuff like that. What’s cheating, what’s not etc…
You can also spin that show off and talk about braids in Jamaica eyeing your mustard on your shirt :)

I hope the Avs can find a replacement for georgiev, been bummed they haven’t yet

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You can also spin that show off and talk about braids in Jamaica eyeing your mustard on your shirt :)

I hope the Avs can find a replacement for georgiev, been bummed they haven’t yet
If I had a talk show like that, I’d invite every married couple on HF Avs, and I’d have hookers also, we can debate why sleeping with hookers isn’t cheating. Would be hell of a show.

It would have a potential of turning into Jerry Springer show if some of you here agree that it’s not cheating while the wife sitting next to you and a hooker on the other side

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
2NjcND3.png

J55dxGZ.png

I thought we were this high because of Ritchie but apparently not. :laugh:

Last edited:

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Being good, but short of great in the AHL. He's the backup in Florida next season though.

Devon Levi was dominant in the AHL last season. Probably the single best performance of any young goalie in the AHL last season. Sebastian Cossa, was arguably the best goalie in the AHL from Jan 1-on (looked like something finally clicked). Dustin Wolf has had 3 great AHL years and was great in the AHL last year before securing his job in the NHL. Joel Blomqvist looked VERY good as a rookie. IMO all those guys had better seasons than Askarov had last year.

I'm not saying Askarov is bad or anything, but he didn't show that he's a 100% sure thing last year either. Wallstadt and Askarov have been very similar the last two seasons. They have performed well and looked like NHL goalies with starting potential. If I was betting on any of them being a star, it would be Levi. I think he has the best chance. Cossa has the highest ceiling. Wallstadt is most likely to end up a dependable starter (he looks like a sure thing there, but probably short of a star). Askarov has star potential, but some boom/bust to him.

I 100% get the argument that the Avs should grab a young high end goalie. Just simply stating the cost is high on those.

On a different note, I think we are on the verge of the pendulum swinging goalies. For the last 5 or so years, we've had very few high end guys coming up and the position is as weak as it has been in the NHL in a very long time. The 16-23 has some guys who could very well change that quickly.
and UPL is doing it in the NHL

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Checked with my buds on the Sabres Board. Rumor has zero credibility, and totally dismissed as having any sort of reliable sourcing.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
If I had a talk show like that, I’d invite every married couple on HF Avs, and I’d have hookers also, we can debate why sleeping with hookers isn’t cheating. Would be hell of a show.

It would have a potential of turning into Jerry Springer show if some of you here agree that it’s not cheating while the wife sitting next to you and a hooker on the other side
Nice! I’d tune in for the midget tossing I’d hope to see.

• Haha
Reactions: the_fan

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Not even close. Last year was clearly not his best and he still put up 70 points. He’s a franchise #1C who nobody would be surprised if he put up 110 for a season or two. Best player in his draft by a decent margin.
I just see the 70points and I’d expect more they have surrounded him with some talent.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not even close. Last year was clearly not his best and he still put up 70 points. He’s a franchise #1C who nobody would be surprised if he put up 110 for a season or two. Best player in his draft by a decent margin.
I do think Lafreniere can still have his say on this narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad