GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Got to be honest, don't know why people are gushing over Edmonton's off-season. Sure it was flashy but they added a bunch of defensively garbage undersized wingers. And traded away arguably one of their better 2 way players in McLeod. And re-signed an aging Henrique.

So basically got worse defensively within their forward group, and didn't improve their actual defense. Hope they enjoy playing 7-6 nail biters every night. Trying to outscore opponents every night usually a recipe for success.

Can't wait for Draisaitl and Skinner to try and slow down 29.

Yeah, they have the same suspect defense and goalie tandem as last year.

Plus by the time playoffs come around, they have... 6 players under 30

Leon - McDavid - Holloway
Broberg - Bouchard
Skinner

Thats it. Couple that with a short off-season since they made the finals, they'll be gassed me thinks.

And I would say the chances Hyman repeats this season, or the Oilers PP repeats are slim.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If you look back at the good chunk of Avs possible targets, there's been a lot of wingers that we are hoping could be Cs.
I think people just have to accept it'll be one of Wagner/Pavel/Ivan/Foudy, whoever wins the battle in camp OR a random PTO we can sign during camp.

There's just nobody out there. Chris Tierny, Steven Lorentz, Austin Czarnik, Colin White who can't skate.

Avs are better off not signing any of those dudes.

Players like Johnson, Gagner, Cousins, Khaira are listed as wingers and centers but they've been playing wing forever, you can't trust them to play C in a defensive role.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah, they have the same suspect defense and goalie tandem as last year.

Plus by the time playoffs come around, they have... 6 players under 30

Leon - McDavid - Holloway
Broberg - Bouchard
Skinner

Thats it. Couple that with a short off-season since they made the finals, they'll be gassed me thinks.

And I would say the chances Hyman repeats this season, or the Oilers PP repeats are slim.
We've seen first hand how hard it is for teams to make consistent deep runs. Avoiding your weak spots to add in places you are already are deep at is questionable.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Mate, where is Kiviranta?

He is a beautiful soul who has absolutely earned his right to be a member of the 2024/25 Colorado Avalanche!

I find it extremely disrespectful and in poor taste for you not to have him in your lineup. We are talking about probably the best 4th liner in the league, every other team could only dream of having Kivi on their roster.

I didn’t think you were such a cold-hearted individual to just chuck a valued and loved member of the roster aside for some shiny new toys!

We have the best roster in the NHL and best players in every single position.

I really expected better from you!

I get what you're trying to do, but crazily, in my mind, most of what you stated there is actually true !!

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
They don't have 3.5M to work with. In fact, they are more likely going to need to trade someone.
no? I went with the info on capfriendly. afaik they only still need to sign Fairbrother.

my guess is that Makar brother and the overager they just drafted will also get contracts. then they still need some 2 or 3 AHL vets on offense and 2 goalies, one being a NHL call up capable dude. maybe Hutchinson or Dell.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But no team runs a 20 man roster lol

8w3jfh.jpg

Who’s ready to have a bad time?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
He just acquired Crosby without giving up any firsts, Ritchie, or even sending Mitts the other way. Let him cook.
Truth me, it’s par for the course at capfriendly :laugh:

It’s also absolutely impossible to make a trade that people agree with, so not much effort was put in

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Minny now a better team than the Avs according to advanced stats

I think we can call this BS because no way Ottawa will make the playoffs with that roster. Ullmark can only do so much and nothing so far has given me the faith that they will make the playoffs, especially with Green as coach.

Not that JFresh is wrong about the Avs, because we're definitely taking a step back until Nuke/Landeskog are dealt with.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think we can call this BS because no way Ottawa will make the playoffs with that roster.
I disagree. Both Ottawa and Buffalo have the roster to make the playoffs (but that doesn't mean they'll do it).

The Atlantic is a tough division:

- Toronto and Florida are regular season powerhouses
- Boston and Tampa you'd expect them to take a step back but it's unlikely to happen
- Detroit is willing to take all the shortcuts available to make the playoffs
- Buffalo and Ottawa are good teams but eternal underachievers and have all the roadblocks above
- Montreal's rebuild is coming to an end soon

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah but only if you don't include Nichushkin and Landeskog AND don't use their cap hit for anything. Did you read that part and just choose not include it?
Obviously things will change throughout the season but I think we need to come to the realization that this year is going to be tough.

There is a high likelihood that we will be missing both Landy and Nuke for a bit. Rarely do things work out perfectly. Landy might play day 1, might not, and even if he does play it's going be interesting to see what kind of level are we talking. Nuke for sure is out until mid November and then who knows what they'll do.

I don't necessarily agree with this person's analysis, but I do understand that playoffs is going to be harder than people think if things go south at all with Landy and Nuke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad