Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They were always likely to have one supposed "hole" in the top 9, but until Moser is signed and we see.if JBB has any other trades or moves planned.this summer, who knows what the roster might end up as on opening night. I think the team as is could contend with better defensive play and Vasy returning to being a top 5-10 G again. If Sheary bounces back to something closer to what he was before last season, all the better. The team probably wins the division or finishes a close 2nd with a healthy Vasy last season, and they look better, at least on paper, at 5v5 and defense this season. There's plenty of things to be optimistic about heading into '24-'25.
I think Vasy is gonna be fine. I think we're gonna do something else like sign Klingberg or Tyler Johnson and then make another move at the deadline. My frustration stems from the feeling that it's like a rule that we have to have some sort of glaring hole in the top 6 and that's what we'd address at the deadline

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He is going to have to make a trade at the deadline. We are a move or two away from being the odds on favorite for a Cup but this team as its currently constructed isn't going anywhere. It can maybe beat Boston and Toronto at best. I am prepared for this season to frustrate the hell out of me
The good news is, even if we make another add, we should have some space by the deadline, and better assets than we have had since Jeannot to spend.

I'm not big on deadline additions in general, because I think 99% of them fail to click with their new team in time to be effective. But it's nice to have the option if a good fit, or better yet, a good contract is out there.

I think Vasy is gonna be fine. I think we're gonna do something else like sign Klingberg or Tyler Johnson and then make another move at the deadline. My frustration stems from the feeling that it's like a rule that we have to have some sort of glaring hole in the top 6 and that's what we'd address at the deadline
I wouldn't touch Klingberg. Whatever was wrong with him in Toronto looked bad enough to be a career ender. I think he had surgery? I mean, league minimum there's no risk, but it seemed like he was all the way done.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
we have 8 D that can play in the nhl already i don’t really see a point in getting another one.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We still lack a legit top 6 forward and one bottom 6 forward because sheary is sheary.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If we are going to continue to moan, groan, and complain about losing Stamkos and others, why don't the moderators just create a new Topic labeled "Moans, Groans, and Complaints" where these concerns can be addressed so the rest of us do not have to scroll through those here on the discussion board and we can discuss moving forward rather than reliving the past?

Reactions: RLP55 and Peacefool

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If we are going to continue to moan, groan, and complain about losing Stamkos and others, why don't the moderators just create a new Topic labeled "Moans, Groans, and Complaints" where these concerns can be addressed so the rest of us do not have to scroll through those here on the discussion board and we can discuss moving forward rather than reliving the past?
because it would just be a thread of Todd and Byrddog posts

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
What about Barabanov, fast skilled forward olympic champion,could be good at top9 role, if you give him chance could be more usefull tha Sheary at top6?

Reactions: Outl4w

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We don't need bottom liners or tweeners. It's second line forward or bust. We're probably already losing a few Syracuse guys to waivers/40 man roster limit.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
we aren't gonna be getting an actual top 6 player. need to take a chance on someone with some question marks. labanc, jvr, sprong, tj, vrana, pacioretty. something like that

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The good news is, even if we make another add, we should have some space by the deadline, and better assets than we have had since Jeannot to spend.

I'm not big on deadline additions in general, because I think 99% of them fail to click with their new team in time to be effective. But it's nice to have the option if a good fit, or better yet, a good contract is out there.

I wouldn't touch Klingberg. Whatever was wrong with him in Toronto looked bad enough to be a career ender. I think he had surgery? I mean, league minimum there's no risk, but it seemed like he was all the way done.
Well I think the cap space at the deadline is the key. We might spend to the cap now but we will have room later and I think that is the plan. This team needed a lot of moves in order to clean it up and fix it. I think the lion's share of the work got done last week and don't I think it's impossible the additional cap space could make a buyer's market. There's not going to be nearly the scarcity as year's past because it was often the case of 20+ teams at the cap limit and a handful with a few million in cap to spare. We can still dig out a Cup champion out of this group with the right moves. But we are not there now in my eyes. I still think it needs help and at least 1 significant addition at the top 6. It feels like we took about 5 steps forward and 4 and a half back.

Also when it comes to Klingberg, I forgot to heavily emphasize it would be a cheap deal like what Atkinson got and you just hope the guy isn't completely washed. I'm not gonna be disappointed if we don't make that move though. If he has anything left I'm going to be politely surprised

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well I think the cap space at the deadline is the key. We might spend to the cap now but we will have room later and I think that is the plan. This team needed a lot of moves in order to clean it up and fix it. I think the lion's share of the work got done last week and don't I think it's impossible the additional cap space could make a buyer's market. There's not going to be nearly the scarcity as year's past because it was often the case of 20+ teams at the cap limit and a handful with a few million in cap to spare. We can still dig out a Cup champion out of this group with the right moves. But we are not there now in my eyes. I still think it needs help and at least 1 significant addition at the top 6. It feels like we took about 5 steps forward and 4 and a half back.

Also when it comes to Klingberg, I forgot to heavily emphasize it would be a cheap deal like what Atkinson got and you just hope the guy isn't completely washed. I'm not gonna be disappointed if we don't make that move though. If he has anything left I'm going to be politely surprised
I think the risk with Klingberg is just too high that we would be getting late career Matt Carle. I mean, "risk" is the wrong word because it's easy enough to get rid of.

We should have cap space regardless. If I'm not mistaken, we are out of ltir contracts? I just don't trust TDL acquisitions. Teams that tinker tend to do a lot better than teams that "load up" at the deadline. The biggest targets never seem to do much. Rentals tend to bite teams 99% of the time. I doubt that's even an exaggeration. Maybe 95%.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Unfortunately, CR, I would have to destroy 96.3% of HFBoards to accommodate your request. Because it would not stay contained within just our little forum.

Oh, make no mistake… The thought of Thanos-snapping this place into nonexistence has crossed my mind multiple times

IMG_6467.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad