NHL Fantasy Draft - add one player to your team for free, who do you pick? McDavid vs Bedard vs Makar vs Someone Else?

You get to add one player to your team free of any "trade cost". Who do you pick and why?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The NHL has screwed your favorite team in some mega mixup at the draft or something like that. Something really big. It's so big, that as part of reparation they give your team the ability to "fantasy draft pick" any one player in the league at 0 cost. So you can basically grab any player you want for 0 trade cost in return.

Who do you pick, and why?

Edmonton, Chicago & Colorado fans - feel free to still vote for/pick your guy if you think he's the best choice, and just think of it from another team's perspective. Or you can think from your own team's perspective and pick someone to complement your guy if you prefer.

Take everything into account - age, salary, team needs, etc. Likelihood to re-sign with your team vs go UFA, etc.

Connor McDavid - This one is easy, best player in the league, and putting forth some historic seasons and playoff runs in the past few years. The negative is he is paid a lot of money, he's a bit older already, and his contract is due up soon and he'll want even more $$, and may insist on going UFA.

Cale Makar - Best defenseman in the league based on past few years. Terrific performer in both playoffs and regular season. He's a bit younger than McDavid, is paid a bit less, and his contract is a bit longer. Also - in my opinion at least - defensemen often age better, so lots of little positives vs McDavid.

Connor Bedard - In my opinion he is unquestionably the second best prospect drafted since Crosby after Connor McDavid. Will he become as good as Crosby/McDavid have been? I don't know. He had a really good start in Chicago last year, so is bound to be a great NHL player. Great enough that you pass up on McDavid (even though he's older) or Makar, two much more proven players?

Someone Else - Can be anyone. Jack Hughes, MacKinnon, Celebrini....litterally anyone.

Who do you pick and why? Feel free to post your explanation/rationalization with your choice.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
1. Add McDavid.
2. Clear up a ton of cap space to accommodate him.
3. Let Tavares and Marner walk next summer.
4. Make moves to improve team defense (and goaltending if possible).
5. Profit.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
1. Add McDavid.
2. Clear up a ton of cap space to accommodate him.
3. Let Tavares and Marner walk next summer.
4. Make moves to improve team defense (and goaltending if possible).
5. Profit.
For us in particular I think Makar makes more sense

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This poll would be more fun without McDavid as an option.

Otherwise you just take him, he would instantly transform almost any playoff team into Cup favorites.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar for the Avs

As enticing as McDavid and Bedard are, the roster cannot lose its star Dman

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This poll would be more fun without McDavid as an option.

Otherwise you just take him, he would instantly transform almost any playoff team into Cup favorites.

I didn't expect it to be so lopsided. I feel as though a year ago, a lot of people were taking Bedard over McDavid, and a few even mentionned Hughes and Makar - and this was 1 year farther away from UFA and younger than McDavid is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad