Elias Pettersson vs Tim Stützle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you take ? (INCLUDING CONTRACTS)

• Elias Pettersson from Vancouver

• Tim Stützle from Ottawa

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Let's address the elephant in the room

Would you rather have Elias Pettersson @11.6 Million for 8 years or Tim Stützle @8.35 Million for 5 years

I'd like to shoutout and honor my dear Senators friend @NyQuil and my dear Canucks friend @SillyRabbit with this fun, thought provoking poll

Thanks guys, let's have a good discussion here too.

cheers

Reactions: SillyRabbit

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Stutzle for me, even though i don't like his diving credentials.

Last year he obviously played injured while there was a lot of Canucks fans disappointed with EP's playoff performance on these boards.

Add in the 3+ mill difference in cap hit, its an easy decision for me.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This is a good poll.

I was quite disappointed with Pettersson's play for most of last season. Despite scoring over a PPG, he did not look anywhere near as good as he did in 2022-23.

There have been talks about him possibly playing injured, but I find it hard to believe he was injured for 6+ months. However it's a possible explanation.

On the defensive side of the puck, he was significantly better than Stutzle, but again, not at the same "deserves Selke votes" level he was in 2022-23.

As for Stutzle, there was pretty strong evidence that he was playing with an injured wrist for most of the season, which explains his dramatic drop in both shots and goals.

It was a disappointing season from him nonetheless, and frankly from the Sens as a whole. Personally I don't agree with his decision to play most of the season with a wrist injury and think he should've taken time off to recover fully.

Neither player got to play much with their top offensive players (Miller and Tkachuk) for most of the season.

---

Stutzle is three years younger and locked up long term for three million less per season. I think his offensive potential is that of a 100-point player.

Defensively, he's quite poor.

Pettersson is currently the better player both offensively and defensively.

So it's really a question of whether you expect Stutzle to be able to catch Pettersson offensively while improving his defensive game enough to at least not be a liability (I highly doubt he will ever catch Pettersson defensively).

I'm really not sure what we will see out of Pettersson next season. I'd imagine it's somewhere between what we saw in 2023 and 2024. But if we get 2024 Pettersson, the Canucks will be in trouble.

I think I would take Stutzle in this situation. I expect him to bounce back offensively and even if he remains weak defensively, he's got a lot more room to grow and develop than Pettersson does given his age. Plus he's three million cheaper per season.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Petey seems to be a head case, GM/coach hating his performance saying he's not injured. Despite of weaker season, gimme Stutz. Petey has had bad seasons as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How ? He's still winning, HF isn't slow, recency bias does not effect the consensus on these boards

He is... winning? Sarcasm I guess?

People also have the memory of a gold fish, even worse than just 10 years ago as technology is destroying our brains. How quickly we forgot about this :

Every U21 player with 90+ points in a season since the 2004-05 lockout:

— Alex Ovechkin
— Sidney Crosby
— Steven Stamkos
— Connor McDavid
— Tim Stutzle

People acting like Stutzle had a "career year" at 20 y/o is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen, in the whole life not just hockey forums.

This is what Stutzle did in his D+3/D+4

78 Games 39 Goals 90 Pts
75 Games 18 Goals 70 Pts

So let's remember what Pettersson did at the same age :

68 Games 27 Goals 66 Pts
26 Games 10 Goals 21 Pts

I mean... yeah shitty timing for a poll considering Pettersson is more than 3 years older and Stutzle was injured all season last year.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Depends what else my team already has. Stutzle is on a better contract but elite players are so important that if I have one of those team with no elite players like Montreal, Detroit, Ottawa I’d probably go with Petey.

Reactions: Coffees

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Let's address the elephant in the room

Would you rather have Elias Pettersson @11.6 Million for 8 years or Tim Stützle @8.35 Million for 5 years

I'd like to shoutout and honor my dear Senators friend @NyQuil and my dear Canucks friend @SillyRabbit with this fun, thought provoking poll

Thanks guys, let's have a good discussion here too.

cheers

I think Stutzle has 7 years left.

I'm going against the grain here and saying Tim. I do think EP is the better player overall though. However, an extra 3.25M can be the difference between retaining/adding another star player or not.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
He is... winning? Sarcasm I guess?

People also have the memory of a gold fish, even worse than just 10 years ago as technology is destroying our brains. How quickly we forgot about this :

Every U21 player with 90+ points in a season since the 2004-05 lockout:

— Alex Ovechkin
— Sidney Crosby
— Steven Stamkos
— Connor McDavid
— Tim Stutzle

People acting like Stutzle had a "career year" at 20 y/o is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen, in the whole life not just hockey forums.

This is what Stutzle did in his D+3/D+4

78 Games 39 Goals 90 Pts
75 Games 18 Goals 70 Pts

So let's remember what Pettersson did at the same age :

68 Games 27 Goals 66 Pts
26 Games 10 Goals 21 Pts

I mean... yeah shitty timing for a poll considering Pettersson is more than 3 years older and Stutzle was injured all season last year.
Not to detract but EP was injured similarly his D4 year.

Reactions: Coffees

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Scoring has also gone up. There wasn’t a lot of difference in their numbers in their D3 seasons.
I mean, starting from when they both entered the league they’ve also performed similarly, not just starting from D3.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I mean, starting from when they both entered the league they’ve also performed similarly, not just starting from D3.

I didn’t mean starting there, just comparing those years straight up. The poster was comparing 90 points to 66 in 68 but Pettersson was 20th in scoring and Stutzle was 19th.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Both underperformed last season. Both have elite offensive credentials and if you want to tell me Stutzle will be just as dynamic in his prime and maybe have a bit more of a bullishness in his game, I think that’s reasonable.

I don’t think Stutzle will come close as an all-around player and while I’d usually say for the true offensive superstar centers, two-way play can be greatly overrated as a value-added item…I do think when Petey is at full tilt, he’s one of the few offensive superstar centers who legitimately is and is utilized as a terrifically smart two-presence. In the case that their offensive upsides top out similarly - it’s a tiebreaker for me. And I’m willing to pay more the first half of the contract to get better value on the back end compared to Tim’s shorter deal.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Stutzle has 7 years left.

I'm going against the grain here and saying Tim. I do think EP is the better player overall though. However, an extra 3.25M can be the difference between retaining/adding another star player or not.

Yes only played 1 year of his 8 years contract. And yes he's 3.25 AAV cheaper per season but he's also 3.5 years younger so who knows where they'll be when both in their prime?

I'd understand someone taking Pettersson in a raw comparison but if you're not taking AAV and age and consideration, you're definitely missing the boat.

Depends what else my team already has. Stutzle is on a better contract but elite players are so important that if I have one of those team with no elite players like Montreal, Detroit, Ottawa I’d probably go with Petey.

If Stutzle is not elite, then how many players are Elite? Tim Stutzle is 22 y/o until 2025 and only 24 players sored more pts than him in the last 2 years combined. He has the 22nd best PPG. There's 32 teams, LHDs, RHDs, Centers, LWs and RWs... if Stutzle is not among the elite then not a lot are. If "elite" means Top-5 at a position then what does superstar means? McDavid? Well, no, he's generational.

Not to detract but EP was injured similarly his D4 year.

Yes, as we can see it's reflected in the number of games he played. It would have been better for Stutzle's numbers to also not play all these games last season but he's a competitor so he still played and came close to PPG.

I didn’t mean starting there, just comparing those years straight up. The poster was comparing 90 points to 66 in 68 but Pettersson was 20th in scoring and Stutzle was 19th.

It doesn't matter, elite talent has been growing. League average was 3.02 goals per game per team in 2019-20 and 3.18 in 2022-23, not a huge difference. Those 90 pts in 2022-23 were still worth 85 pts in 2019-20

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad