Post-Game Talk: NHL Entry Draft 2015 - Bruins Report Card

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I can't imagine why anyone would think bullying an 18 year old because of a trade they didn't like is okay.

I'm embarassed.

Still not convinced the handling of the first round picks was good but the team did seem to focus on drafting where are big holes are-defense and wing.

Sennshyn is the one that baffles me but I think they must have really wanted him and didn't think he would be available. His speed sounds like a huge plus for our team but he sounds like he could also be another Paille.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
How is it better than a D? The trade is part of the draft. The three players picked were ranked way lower so that's not the fans' valuation, those are pro scouts, aren't they? Of course, fans are going to be rolling their eyes at those decisions.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
How is it better than a D? The trade is part of the draft. The three players picked were ranked way lower so that's not the fans' valuation, those are pro scouts, aren't they? Of course, fans are going to be rolling their eyes at those decisions.

Rankings, whether it's Central Scouting, RLR, Hockey Prospects, ISS is just that, someone's rankings.

30 NHL teams will have 30 different lists just like those agencies didn't agree.

I could ask 99 people here to provide me their lists and add it to mine and we'd have 100 different lists. And that's coming from 100 people that do not get to see every single player more then once if at all.

Just imagine what a crap shoot it is when those people, who watch these kids day in and day out can't come to a consensus.

Fans will feel much better if they take the time to learn all they can about a player without looking at rankings.

BTW: not directed at you

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
I can't give a grade because I don't know a damn thing about the guys that were picked. I like what I've read and seen though so far, but I'm admittedly scrounging for any positivity I can find.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
FWIW
Dale Gagne @GagneDale
@kluedeke29 interesting story here in Canada, the Leafs wanted Senshysyn (sp) badly and wound up trading down when he was taken. #darkhorse

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
FWIW
Dale Gagne @GagneDale
@kluedeke29 interesting story here in Canada, the Leafs wanted Senshysyn (sp) badly and wound up trading down when he was taken. #darkhorse

Toronto had a second 1st rounder?

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
FWIW
Dale Gagne @GagneDale

Well we can at least say we stole something from the Leafs.

Dom I totally believe scout reports from all thirty teams are going to be very different-from the media scouts and each other and a lot of who individual teams like will also take into account what the team's needs are. But generally the scouts have players within about 10 picks of each other and the Bruins went way off the board with the 15th pick.

However I can believe a few things-the Bruins saw some things they really liked in this kid that the media didn't and that the Bruins for whatever reasons wanted him more than Barzal or Conner and didn't think they would get him. I'm okay with that reasoning but after years of Zach Hamills and Carons I'm not going to scream victory until he's playing in the NHL and producing. I think going for the speedy but not undersized winger is a better pick for the team than another center who may not transition to wing.

We will see-the draft is a gamble anyway and far more picks fail to reach the NHL than do. The draft grade really should be an incomplete until about 4 years out anyway. At that point you can more easily award a grade.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
So thats fair. BUT its a lot harder to come up with examples of teams that reached against the consensus successfully than it is to find examples of Scheifele-like errors.

Schiefele, jankowski.. Plenty it goes bad for the reacher. It goes good too. Dano, poirier (so far). Also seems to be a trend. If teams have multiple 1sts, they'll go with luxuries their scouts love. Calgary 3 1sts.
Monahan (right slot)
Poirier (reach, so far so good)
Klimchuk

Clb

Wennberg (right)
Rychel (right)
Dank (reach/shown the most at NHL level)

Just curious, are you implying Scheifele was a failed reach? Other than Hamilton (who is better) and Couts (could make an argument for him) there isn't a single player in round 1 after his pick remotely approaching Scheifele's level of play. Played #2C on a playoff team and scored 49 points with really good possession numbers (before Stafford showed up at the end of the season).

Jets fans were livid with the pick at the time but it worked out very nicely. There is hope!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Aside from the Bruins passing on him, since others did too, why did Barzal slip to where he did?

Anyone?

Many here have already placed him on a pedastal. Im curious.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Well we can at least say we stole something from the Leafs.

Dom I totally believe scout reports from all thirty teams are going to be very different-from the media scouts and each other and a lot of who individual teams like will also take into account what the team's needs are. But generally the scouts have players within about 10 picks of each other and the Bruins went way off the board with the 15th pick.

However I can believe a few things-the Bruins saw some things they really liked in this kid that the media didn't and that the Bruins for whatever reasons wanted him more than Barzal or Conner and didn't think they would get him. I'm okay with that reasoning but after years of Zach Hamills and Carons I'm not going to scream victory until he's playing in the NHL and producing. I think going for the speedy but not undersized winger is a better pick for the team than another center who may not transition to wing.

We will see-the draft is a gamble anyway and far more picks fail to reach the NHL than do. The draft grade really should be an incomplete until about 4 years out anyway. At that point you can more easily award a grade.

True.

As for Senyshyn, like I said FWIW i hear he wouldn't have made it passed 17 and now we see the Leafs wanted him at 24. Both those are within 10 picks of someone's list

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
True.

As for Senyshyn, like I said FWIW i hear he wouldn't have made it passed 17 and now we see the Leafs wanted him at 24. Both those are within 10 picks of someone's list

Any possible input on the goalie situation? Rhode Island guy, would have loved Jon Gilles.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Sportsnet guys mentioned a knee issue, IIRC.

Thanks there has to be something. Some red flag beyond just Sweeney is stupid. If so he just might be in good company.

For example dozens, literally dozens here, keep brining up we must get Kassian. I continue to ask why?
His back is so ****ed up he hasnt been on skates since March. They come back with 'really, didnt know that'.

Following week, we must make a run for Kassian!

:laugh:

catsmasher

Mar 8, 2012
F minus .

Sea(b)ass = SeaASS . Cam neutered the B since the cup win he has done everything wrong ...everything. Bring the 8 down from the rafters immediately !

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
You gave him a B so you must be a scout then for having an opinion?
No I'm not a scout for having an opinion, we are all free to make opinions because this is what this message board is for. The only reason people here, I believe, gave this draft an F is because of either the Dougie Hamilton trade, which has nothing to do with grading who we drafted or this thread, or because we didn't draft the most obvious choices (Barzal and Connor) based on popular rankings. Whose to say Barzal and Connor are better than Senshysyn, Zboril, and DeBrusk or vice versa? The Bruins scouted these prospects and chose who they wanted based on what each prospect brings and what they can eventually hopefully bring to this team. I'm not a scout, but I gave this draft a B because of what credible posters here that know more than I do and who have actually seen someone like Senshysyn play. Add that to what many believe the Bruins had the best 2nd round, that's why I gave them a B. No one knows if these guys will turn out to be NHLers which could change my vote in the future, but right now, I don't see how this draft warrants an F.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Thanks there has to be something. Some red flag beyond just Sweeney is stupid. If so he just might be in good company.

For example dozens, literally dozens here, keep brining up we must get Kassian. I continue to ask why?
His back is so ****ed up he hasnt been on skates since March. They come back with 'really, didnt know that'.

Following week, we must make a run for Kassian!

:laugh:

I read somwhere he blew out a knee cap and had pins put in. he did recover obviously.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
They got it from Nashville as part of the Franson and Santorelli deal.

I preface every draft comment with I never see these guys live, I just read the guides and don't want to b a poser pretending otherwise . So I think the honest truth is not many folks would complain any of these pix if we kept Hamilton and Lucic and picked them with 14. People, at least me anyway are mad that they traded top talent to make cap space while keeping average players like smith Kelly and slightly above average erikson.

I like the kid at 14. Now that's just based on reading not scouting but I like him. I also like senshyn, and like that the bruins took a shot at greatness because I know redline raved about his raw talent.....although still ranked him 42 I think. Debrusk? We will see, the same books I used to like zbioril and senshyn don't impress me much. Now in fairness they have him ranked as a first round pick, albeit in the 25-30 range. But to me, 175 lbs and ok skater make him a long shot to b impact player, especially when u traded Hamilton for him. Love Carlo...on paper. I guess time will tell and I hope they work out, we r the ones who are going to pay to watch them .

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
I'll go with a D. They added enough talent to just barely avoid an F, but there's no getting past the Hamilton disaster.

I really believe that's a move that is going to devastate this franchise much like the Seguin one has proven to. Only one big difference is the organization was in good enough shape it might've been able to overcome the Seguin trade. I don't believe we are going to overcome this Hamilton one. We were at a low point in the Chiarelli era and needed to start nailing moves big time this off-season to get back on track, and we just did the total opposite. We got fleeced.

thevikes

Mar 7, 2002
Visit site
5th round pick?

Tried to get some help from the board in a separate thread as I didn't see any clarification elsewhere and was shut down almost immediately by a mod. Not a regular poster but it would've been helpful if after abruptly shutting down a simple question the moderator would've suggested a more appropriate forum. Hopefully this on works!
What happened beyond a simple swap of 5th rd. picks (ours this year for their pick next year)? And BTW what is a "natural" pick? A pick not acquired via trade? I had to step out and perhaps this has been discussed but I can't imagine we have the luxury of giving away a pick even if if it's a 5th which is no throwaway. To a mod. - if this isn't the place please direct me to the correct place. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad