Post-Game Talk: NHL Entry Draft 2015 - Bruins Report Card

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Going with a safe pic k, B, just as Sweeney and the scouting staff did. Like many of you, I. Did not get to see too many of these kids play, with the exception of local guys, Eichel and Hanifin. The scouting staff saw them over and over.

Many people value mock drafts and pundits in evaluating talent. We can see, from yesterday and today's results, they're not always right.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Gotta admit it does look a bit suspicious that the off-the-board picks at 14 and 15, plus the #13 are all represented by the same agency group, But then I guess you have to ask, what possible advantage is there to these players/agents to fix it so they get drafted by the Bruins in the first round?

Surely they would have been drafted by some other team in round 2 - possibly even a better team. I guess it's great to say you were a 1st-round pick, but that pedigree only matters if you play up to it. I don't see what would be in it to collude like that.

Looks like Sweeney and co identified their guys and went for them. I guess that kind of decisiveness is admirable. I hope it pans out. Time will tell.

I was a little miffed at Sweeney's pressers and comments yesterday though. For someone who's billed a great communicator, his language was quite obfuscatory and vague, I thought.

Dougie being "not comfortable" moving forward as a Bruin, etc. Why not just say he wanted more salary than they were willing to pay?

I expected more directness from Sweeney. Chia, in his own way, was more direct than this, even though he was also quite diplomatic in his word choice. To me, Chia seemed relatively more transparent in his lingo.

I don't know the agent for the picks but I can see GMs gravitating towards players represented by agents they like working with over agents that give them headaches if things are fairly equal. Not so much collusion as just putting a check in the pro column when evaluating reasons to draft or not draft players. I can see it play out more where there have been some bad negotiations that resulted in bad blood. I can easily see a GM avoiding players outside of the obvious picks (eg pretty sure McDavid was going first even if Satan himself was the agent).

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
So thats fair. BUT its a lot harder to come up with examples of teams that reached against the consensus successfully than it is to find examples of Scheifele-like errors.

Schiefele, jankowski.. Plenty it goes bad for the reacher. It goes good too. Dano, poirier (so far). Also seems to be a trend. If teams have multiple 1sts, they'll go with luxuries their scouts love. Calgary 3 1sts.
Monahan (right slot)
Poirier (reach, so far so good)
Klimchuk

Clb

Wennberg (right)
Rychel (right)
Dank (reach/shown the most at NHL level)

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Was really hoping for Keegan Kolesar....But how can anyone not be pleased with these picks? Zboril and Debrusk will definitely be in our future (Well, at least for 3 years). Carlo was a stupendous pick and was shockingly available. Gabrielle definitely fits our mold, still scratching my head over the Senyshyn pick though...

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I voted A but would have given A- but not there.

Big fan of the 5th and 6th pick so maybe an A is the right choice anyways

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Could have. They clearly would have rather not taken the chance they'd be gone. If anything it shows a ton of confidence in themselves. And a fearlessness about backlash. They know the public wants connor or Barzal. They know they're gonna be killed. But they know they like debrusk and senyshyn more so to hell with public opinion. They wanted those guys bad. Afraid they'd miss out trading Back

Fearlessness or stupidity?

Time will tell.

Pastrnak was a high end skill prospect from the beginning, he doesn't even compare.

Not the same as drafting lesser potential prospects despite having potential stars available.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
F

Passing on Barzal and Connor is inexcusable.

no it's not. We won't know.

Bruins have centres lined up for a long time (Krejci, Bergeron, Spooner) . Koko prob coming up next as 4th line center

Debrusk and Shenyshyn are the type of talented wingers the doctor ordered.

Also you get a nice , talented goal scoring center/wing in JAKOB FORSBACKA KARLSSON in the 2nd round

Jesse Gabrielle is a steal .

Vlader was a steal (2nd ranked international goalie that you got in the 3rd round)

This is one of the best drafts the Bruins had since the 2006 draft. I give it an A-

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Really like all the D's picked

-Zboril looks like a stud. What a skater
- Carlo is huge and is another awesome skater
- Lauzon is a late bloomer. Good skater. Steady in the defensive end with a developing offensive game

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Bruins have centres lined up for a long time (Krejci, Bergeron, Spooner) . Koko prob coming up next as 4th line center

Also you get a nice , talented goal scoring center/wing in JAKOB FORSBACKA KARLSSON in the 2nd round

Vlader was a steal (2nd ranked international goalie that you got in the 3rd round)

This is one of the best drafts the Bruins had since the 2006 draft. I give it an A-

Just imagine if we went for the potential stars instead of the potential role players.

Could have bumped up to an A!

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006

I would feel a lot better if it were zboril barzal and Conner. 2nd and 3rd round were great picks

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
C, I am ok with Lucic, but Hamilton is a big if. I'm good with it if these kids turn out well. It will be fun to watch them develop

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Really like all the D's picked

-Zboril looks like a stud. What a skater
- Carlo is huge and is another awesome skater
- Lauzon is a late bloomer. Good skater. Steady in the defensive end with a developing offensive game

Good sized, tough Dman, that can skate and play in the defensive end. I really hope these guys pan out.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I would feel a lot better if it were zboril barzal and Conner. 2nd and 3rd round were great picks

I don't really care for Bazal but Conner prob should of been chosen. It's just the Bruins and Sweeney really liked Shenyshyn who has neck breaking outside skating speed. Good hands up close

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Just dosen't seem logical to burn 14 and 15 on two who could have been in the early second round.

On two who might have been , bottom line past the top 3 , the draft is a crapshoot, guys drafted later blossom and guys drafted high flame out - happens every year.

I'll give the draft a C for now, but for me a lot depends on what we do on 7/1 . If we plug a massive hole on D in FA , I'm happy with the draft , if we force some of these youngsters to play before they should I'm more concerned.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I actually loved all of the picks, I just can't get my head around this Hamilton trade.
This is essentially where I am.

I liked the kids they picked. I thought thought the return on the Lucic trade was more than reasonable, all things considered. HATED the return on Hamilton, even though I'm not sold on Dougie as a sure-fire #1 defenseman.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Woah a lot of Fs, we must have a lot of scouts on the board.

All you have to do is listen to every report out there. Did you not watch the draft?

Don Sweeney was the #1 loser of the draft. Way to go Donnie!

Having 3 first round picks and getting 1 top 30 player should be all that you need to know.

They reached on #13 an #14 picks. These are very valuable picks and your new GM goes against any logic.

Better yet he could have picked up Zachary Senyshyn easily in the 2nd round. Most people could not believe it.

Better yet you have a GM that panics and ships off a star defenseman which is nearly impossible to find and he get bent over big time.

That alone is why this GM deserve a BIG "F"

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
i don't know the later round guys; the guys i know i like. have some studying to do. eager for rookie camp.

solid B.

I really thought Hanifin would be wearing a B.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
They must've felt 100% that Senyshyn was going in the first round. Gonna be intriguing to see how it pans out over the years.

I'm hearing he wouldn't have made it past 17 FWIW

Zboril was on their list as was DeBrusk. And I'm sure Senyshyn was. They had 3 consecutive picks and they took
all three.

I have zero problems with whom they drafted. How they got the picks is a different story and shouldn't be used to judge the players selected. it's not their fault.

I sent an apology to Senyshyn myself. I made the mistake of linking his twitter so that fans could welcome him to Boston.

With some of the responses sent to him, like it was all his fault, it made me totally embarrassed to be a Bruins fan.

I am disgusted and embarrassed.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015

Zboril was on their list as was DeBrusk. And I'm sure Senyshyn was. They had 3 consecutive picks and they took
all three.

I have zero problems with whom they drafted. How they got the picks is a different story and shouldn't be used to judge the players selected. it's not their fault.

I sent an apology to Senyshyn myself. I made the mistake of linking his twitter so that fans could welcome him to Boston.

With some of the responses sent to him, like it was all his fault, it made me totally embarrassed to be a Bruins fan.

Totally. Not these kids fault and I look forward to seeing them develop.

Draft gets an A- from me. Draft Weekend gets an F.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
All you have to do is listen to every report out there. Did you not watch the draft?

Don Sweeney was the #1 loser of the draft. Way to go Donnie!

Having 3 first round picks and getting 1 top 30 player should be all that you need to know.

They reached on #13 an #14 picks. These are very valuable picks and your new GM goes against any logic.

Better yet he could have picked up Zachary Senyshyn easily in the 2nd round. Most people could not believe it.

Better yet you have a GM that panics and ships off a star defenseman which is nearly impossible to find and he get bent over big time.

That alone is why this GM deserve a BIG "F"
This thread is about who we drafted not the Dougie Hamilton trade, which for the most part, every B's fan dislikes including myself. Who is to say Senyshyn wouldn't go in the first/late first? How do we know he wasn't high up on other teams' draft boards? The Bruins liked him and picked him. There are posters here who have seen him play and think it was a great pick. Many on this board also believe the Bruins won the 2nd round in this draft. I'm not a scout and most of us here aren't either so yes, we do follow what others report about these prospects, but because these guys weren't ranked in the top 30 or whatever by popular reports, it doesn't mean every team valued those rankings the same way. I'm not expecting a Pastrnak in this draft, but we have to wait and see what these new prospects bring.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

all three.

That's just gross.

Thanks for the tidbits per usual. Knowing other teams were probably interested in him as high as 17 is reassuring.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This thread is about who we drafted not the Dougie Hamilton trade, which for the most part, every B's fan dislikes including myself. Who is to say Senyshyn wouldn't go in the first/late first? How do we know he wasn't high up on other teams' draft boards? The Bruins liked him and picked him. There are posters here who have seen him play and think it was a great pick. Many on this board also believe the Bruins won the 2nd round in this draft. I'm not a scout and most of us here aren't either so yes, we do follow what others report about these prospects, but because these guys weren't ranked in the top 30 or whatever by popular reports, it doesn't mean every team valued those rankings the same way. I'm not expecting a Pastrnak in this draft, but we have to wait and see what these new prospects bring.

Awesome level headed post.

Couldnt agree more with your points. All of them.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Very disgusting, can't believe someone would feel the need to blame a 17yo kid who's just living his dream. All the work he did to go there ... That's really really bad. He should get congratulated no matter what.

For the draft, I do love the picks and if those two reach were taken say arround 25-35 I would be all over them. Now it feels a little like in 2011. When there was a big 7 and no way one could fell to us. We were rumored to take Beaulieu who was a nice pick. Then Hamilton from the big 7 fell to us. Beaulieu is still a good pick, but you now have the "obvious" pick right in front of you. If you go Beaulieu, to be successful with this pick, he doesn't only need to become a player, but to become a better player than Hamilton since the pick was so obvious, anyone could have made it.

The same for this draft. There's a top 12. Two of them fell to us and became the "obvious" pick. Now for Debrusk and Senychyn to be successful pick, they don't only need to be good, they need to be better than those "obvious" pick. And that's kinda unfair to those kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad