GDT: NHL Draft 2023 | 4:00 PT | ESPN, SN, TVAS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do YOU want

• Fantilli

Votes: 85 75.2%
  • Carlsson

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • Mitchkov

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
Not sure if this has been talked about as well -

Wouldn’t it make a ton of sense to leak a lot of “fake news” example: leaning Carlsson, thinking maybe Michkov, etc. knowing San Jose is only 2 picks behind? It’s quite possible it’s always been Fantilli and that’s the logic.

Didn’t Verbeek basically admit 3 weeks ago he thought they knew who they were taking?

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Not sure if this has been talked about as well -

Wouldn’t it make a ton of sense to leak a lot of “fake news” example: leaning Carlsson, thinking maybe Michkov, etc. knowing San Jose is only 2 picks behind? It’s quite possible it’s always been Fantilli and that’s the logic.

Didn’t Verbeek basically admit 3 weeks ago he thought they knew who they were taking?

I used the term "smoke screen" a couple pages ago, but this is my logic as well. Again though, this organization is so tight-lipped that even top tier insiders scramble for rumors because they can't get information out of Anaheim, so even though my leaning is Fantilli, I genuinely feel in the dark until they make the pick.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

CriminalGroundedDrafthorse-size_restricted.gif

The Mighty Duck

#9 all the way...
Mar 3, 2011
Germany
It really boggles my mind how hesitant this organization is when it comes to going back to the old theme or at least logo... Instantly, I am thinking of the higher budget for players, etc. because jersey sales would definitely go up... How could you not freaking do it way earlier???

Reactions: ohcomeonref

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017

This imposter should have been found out immediately after the exchange where he said he didn't know what he would change in the NHL and thought it was pretty awesome. No one in their right mind is passing up an opportunity to throw officiating under the bus.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Games played is nice. Drafting “useful” NHLers in the late first round is the minimum goal, but I’d like to see Madden pull the occasional impact player there at some point.

The convo started off as Madden isn't great at drafting because he can do more. Rebuttal was that many publications has had Anaheim (Madden) tops in drafting. Then it wobbles between forwards, late 1st/2nd picks, late 1st/2nd rd forward picks, and now to impactful player.

• First 10 years of Murray and Madden: 2008-2018 (took over GM in Nov 2008)
    • Playoffs: 8 times
    • Pacific Div Titles: 5 times
    • Western Conf Finals appearances: 2 times
    • Drafts: 9 (2009 - 2018)
    • Top-10 picks: 2 (6th LD Lindholm, 10th LW Ritchie)
    • First rd, picks 20 +: 8
    • First rd total: 12
    • No first rd picks: 1 (2017)
    • Fewest NHL games played by a 1st rd pick: 172 (D Larsson)

• Notable First round, non-top 10 selections
    • 2009, 26th RW Palmieri
    • 2010, 12th LD Fowler
    • 2011, 30th RW Rakell
    • 2013, 26th LD Theodore
    • 2018, 23rd C Lundestrom

• Notable Non-First round selections
    • 2009, Rd 4 RD Vatanen
    • 2011, Rd 2 G Gibson
    • 2011, Rd 2 C Karlsson (Wild Bill)
    • 2011, Rd 6 RD Manson
    • 2012, Rd 3 G Andersen
    • 2014, Rd 2 LD Pettersson
    • 2014, Rd 2 RD Montour
    • 2014, Rd 7 RW Kase
    • 2015, Rd 5 RW Terry
    • 2018, Rd 3 G Dostal

• Rebuild Years, Murray and Madden: 2019-2021
    • Playoffs: 0 times
    • Pacific Div Titles: 0 times
    • Drafts: 3 (2019 - 2021)
    • Top-10 picks: 3 (9th C Zegras, 6th RD Drysdale, 3rd C McTavish)
    • First rd, picks 20 +: 2 (29th LW Tracey, 27th RW Perreault)
    • First rd total: 5

All three top-10 selections are in the NHL. They finished in the top-4 scoring for the team: Zegras 65 points, Terry 61 points, and McTavish 43 points.

• 2019, Rd 2 LD LaCombe
    • 2019, Rd 2 LD Thrun
    • 2020, Rd 3 RD Moore
    • 2021, Rd 2 LD Zellweger (2x's WHL D-man of the year)
    • 2021, Rd 3 RW Pastujov
    • 2021, Rd 3 LD Hinds (QMJHL Defensive D-man of the year)

• Reset Rebuild, Verbeek and Madden: 2022
    • Playoffs: 0 times
    • Pacific Div Titles: 0 times
    • Drafts: 1 (2022)
    • Top-10 picks: 1 (10th LD Mintyukov, OHL D-man of the year)
    • First rd, picks 20 +: 1 (22nd C Gaucher)
    • First rd total: 2

• 2022, Rd 2 RD Luneau (QMJHL D-man of the year)

Conclusion

Pre-Verbeek, we're great at drafting in the top-10 (4 out of 5), we're amazing at drafting defensemen all over the draft, and we're knocking it out of the park with goalies. Under Verbeek, it looks like we got a hit with a top-10 pick, crazy great at drafting defensemen, and took a flyer on a Russian goalie (which recently there is a trend that the better goalies nowadays are coming from Russia).

We have drafted impact forwards outside the top-10 (some blowing up after the Ducks, but the talent was always there) with Palmieri, Rakell, Wild Bill, Kase, and Terry. Kase being a tragic case of great player on the ice, but concussion derailed his career. Yet, it's far easier to land impactful players in the top-10. So far, landing forwards Zegras and McTavish have been a boon.

Because Anaheim has drafted well, they are able to make trades to bring in impactful forwards in Kelser, Eaves, and Rico. Eventually, the Ducks will have more depth to be able to make trades with prospects and picks when the time comes to add the missing pieces for a long playoff run.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It really boggles my mind how hesitant this organization is when it comes to going back to the old theme or at least logo... Instantly, I am thinking of the higher budget for players, etc. because jersey sales would definitely go up... How could you not freaking do it way earlier???
probably because the samuelis don't want to be associated with the disney era and might still have the mindset of that look being "gimmicky." that's my guess

so many teams in the other pro sports leagues have gone back to their retro logos/colors/jerseys, but the ducks just don't seem to want to go that route. i think the new retro jersey they're introducing tonight will just be another 3rd jersey like the ones we've seen in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad