GDT: NHL Draft 2023 | 4:00 PT | ESPN, SN, TVAS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do YOU want

• Fantilli

Votes: 85 75.2%
  • Carlsson

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • Mitchkov

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
OK the day that many have been waiting for... Based on the mocks I've been seeing, I am hoping for some size, speed, and a ton of compete.

1 - C CAN Fantilli -> Mckinnon / Kesler
2 - C SWE Edstrom -> Miko Koivu / Hyman / Filip Forsberg
2 - C/D USA Nelson -> Brock Nelson / Brent Burns
2 - G SLO Gajan -> Jonas Hiller
3 - W SLO Pekarcik -> Formenton
3 - D CAN Sotheran -> Pesce
4 - D CAN Goldsmith -> Carlo
5 - D CAN Legault -> Pesce
6 - Dej / Roobroeck / Matt Henry / Xhekaj -> Gustad / Maroon / Neil / etc.

Reactions: KyleJRM

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
No. My point is you are unimpressed with Madden even though he has probably been the best guy at his job for almost 15 years. You want him to be better, which is absurd. Do you also expect McDavid to be better?

2 of those guys are still prospects, and the other 4 have 212, 206, 262, and 172 NHL games played.
Do you guys not understand that is good?

Late 1st rounders have a less then 50% chance of playing 100 NHL games.
Even if you want to call Larsson a bust since he is out of the league, thats still 3/4 legit NHLers from late 1st round picks.

The Ducks have insane success at the draft compared to the league average.
it's just a matter of quality =/= quantity. there's no doubt they've played a ton of games but in pretty much all of those cases, there were guys taken after who are better players or on a better trajectory at least for the more recent drafts. it's a recurring theme that we haven't really been coming away with these later 1st/2nd round picks that make an impact at forward.

I'm gonna give them an exception in 2018 maybe, because there weren't any players taken soon after Lundy who are better (although Yegor S was still technically taken after Lundy and many others). 2015 looks awful as well, probably the worst of them all honestly. thank god for Terry

Reactions: McDonald19

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Going to be working during this one. After the disappointment during the draft lottery I figured it wasn't worth taking time off.

I'm ready to be mad all over again!

Reactions: Ducks DVM

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
No. My point is you are unimpressed with Madden even though he has probably been the best guy at his job for almost 15 years. You want him to be better, which is absurd. Do you also expect McDavid to be better?

2 of those guys are still prospects, and the other 4 have 212, 206, 262, and 172 NHL games played.
Do you guys not understand that is good?

Late 1st rounders have a less then 50% chance of playing 100 NHL games.
Even if you want to call Larsson a bust since he is out of the league, thats still 3/4 legit NHLers from late 1st round picks.

The Ducks have insane success at the draft compared to the league average.
Games played is nice. Drafting “useful” NHLers in the late first round is the minimum goal, but I’d like to see Madden pull the occasional impact player there at some point.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Do you guys remember the 2005 draft before the Penguins even walked up to pick Crosby the TV guys said the Ducks are going with Bobby Ryan? So we lost any suspense for the Ducks walking up to the stage. That was back when the internet was a lot different (no twitter, etc).

Now we have so much internet speculation, but maybe we won’t know the pick until Verbeek says it at 4:15 or so.

Reactions: Kalv

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
pronman also had wright dropping down to #4 last year, so him saying that they're taking carlsson has some merit to it

i'd be very happy with carlsson, but it would be odd to draft him after verbeek has talked about wanting a more physical, competitive team. but who knows how the interviews/workouts have gone. madden and co. have done well enough to earn my trust and i have faith in whoever they pick out of the two

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
it's just a matter of quality =/= quantity. there's no doubt they've played a ton of games but in pretty much all of those cases, there were guys taken after who are better players or on a better trajectory at least for the more recent drafts. it's a recurring theme that we haven't really been coming away with these later 1st/2nd round picks that make an impact at forward.

I'm gonna give them an exception in 2018 maybe, because there weren't any players taken soon after Lundy who are better (although Yegor S was still technically taken after Lundy and many others). 2015 looks awful as well, probably the worst of them all honestly. thank god for Terry

Getting impact players late is always going to be the exception rather than the rule.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Do you guys remember the 2005 draft before the Penguins even walked up to pick Crosby the TV guys said the Ducks are going with Bobby Ryan? So we lost any suspense for the Ducks walking up to the stage. That was back when the internet was a lot different (no twitter, etc).

Now we have so much internet speculation, but maybe we won’t know the pick until Verbeek says it at 4:15 or so.
If Twitter was a thing then we probably would’ve found out even earlier. Burke had breakfast with Bobby and his family for all to see, was fairly easy to piece that one together.

Reactions: McDonald19

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Cam Robinson on the hockey PDOcast said that there is just a ton of talk about our pick making the rounds, from michkov to even will smith.

So, either we are sending out just the maximum level of disinformation, or nobody truly has any clue what verbeek wants to do.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Cam Robinson on the hockey PDOcast said that there is just a ton of talk about our pick making the rounds, from michkov to even will smith.

So, either we are sending out just the maximum level of disinformation, or nobody truly has any clue what verbeek wants to do.

This is why I think it’s Fantilli. Smokescreens seem to be flying around everyone but him.

Which means I’m likely wrong and we’ll take someone like Reinbacher lol

Reactions: Kalv and Static

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I can't remember where, but I'm fairly certain I saw somewhere that CBJ would be interested in trading up for our pick. If we don't take Fantilli, it's a mistake not to trade with them to gain an asset.
Agreed. If we are set on Carlsson, we should absolutely be talking to Columbus and San Jose about what they would offer for the pick.

Reactions: Duck Off

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Reactions: tomd and Duck Off

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
In your defense, I have read those player comparisons from multiple places.

And usually they mention it is a stylistic comparison and not a floor/ceiling rating.

This is why I think it’s Fantilli. Smokescreens seem to be flying around everyone but him.

Which means I’m likely wrong and we’ll take someone like Reinbacher lol

Leonard. One thing I am pretty sure, we will not go defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad