GDT: NHL Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Same captain, same issue with no vocal leadership, different coach standing behind the bench folding his arms, same lack of urgency (although Malkin is on a refreshing tear right now.) The only hope I have is that Crosby and co. are playing at a lower pace to keep up their energy for the playoffs. I really REALLY hope this is the case, because trading away our future has me scared for the future.

Really hate how the Pens have this mentality that we have to consistently go all-in every year because we have Crosby and Malkin.

The toxic locker room, country club atmosphere, bad leadership and other intangibles are clearly more to blame than injuries, bad coaching, roster make-up, and just bad luck (namely hot goalies) for past failures in the post-season.

Obviously the team needs to strip Crosby of his C or trade him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ray Shero really has skewed our conception of what going all in means. I mean, we can make a blockbuster that involves something other than a rental but has the impact of representing a push to go for it this year too over the status quo.

I mean, was the Perron deal part of going 'all in'? Would another deal for a player like that with another year or two, say one where we move Sutter and Kapanen, be going 'all in'?

I like how JR talks in terms of 'solutions'. To get 'solutions', you have to give to get.

THAT is how Ray Shero managed until the Pens won the cup. After that, he wanted to get for right now without giving from right now. THAT, in my mind, was going 'all in'.

when I say all in, I mean all in on a rental. If we can make a big hockey trade that makes us better, do it. But don't throw away Harrington for Stewart. Don't trade Bennett for a rental D.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If they waste assets on another depth defenseman...

At least a depth D man wouldn't cost us one our D prospects. Though I'd prefer we just stand pat at this point, pending some kind of big bang deal for a top 6 winger that sends Kunitz or Sutter the other way. Which won't happen right now anyways.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib · 2m2 minutes ago
Johnston says he is satisfied with the roster - especially the forward depth - if GMJR opts against making a move today.

What else is he going to say?

I personally think that's exactly where JR is trying to make a deal. Maybe they just rent a defenseman at the end, but I think that's the 'well, we couldn't do anything else' move.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
And we've added size and strength on every line compared to last year. Perron, Hornqvist, Comeau, Downie, Winnik, Lapierre. Those guys each bring more effective physicality than any forward we had last year.

And while that is true, the end result hasn't been any different than what is was (so far in regular season) with the old crew.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
3:15 seems like an early presser. i'll take it as a good sign that nothing happens

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Speaking of Pens' roles/leadership/room, I read this today and thought it felt like a very good sign. Not sure how many of you guys have seen it, so I'm reposting. :)

I am assuming this was from a larger piece. Do you have a link?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
when I say all in, I mean all in on a rental. If we can make a big hockey trade that makes us better, do it. But don't throw away Harrington for Stewart. Don't trade Bennett for a rental D.

Concur 100%. If there's no bigger move and if prices drop from that, then fine, as the deadline hits, make that deal if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad