GDT: NHL Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

There are some interesting names still out there. Parenteau, Williams and Stewart are all rumored to be moving out very soon, and the Sharks are rumored to be receiving a lot of calls on Marleau (that won't happen though). Most of the D have been moved by now though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
You also fail to address that EDM isn't going to make this deal.

Country club atmosphere seems to be some kind of code for something, but it is a meaningless phrase that doesn't specify anything about the locker room or organization.

Have you ever been to a country club?

Does it mean that there is a service person in the bathrooms?

Do they greet people by first name?

What the **** does it actually mean?

Also where is your support and evidence for this?

Malkin and Crosby tend to do better with players who work the dirty areas and/or soft spots well. Eberle may do the soft spots but certainly not the dirty areas. Both do better with players that have good off-puck movement and support. Not impressed with Eberle away from the puck.

Spaling has not consistently played center.

I am also not downrating Eberle. Eberle cannot make up Kunitz's production and the downgrade on the fourth line with Adams in. Last night the Pens essentially had two first lines and two third lines. With Adams and Lapierre, the bottom line is instantly back into bad fourth line territory.

Neal deal happened in the off-season. It is not even comparable.

I believe it's less prevalent now that Shero and Bylsma are gone but there's no doubt this organization is a good ol boys club. Cold harsh realities would dictate Adams being waived, Dupuis not on the top line, Kunitz on the 3rd line, no brother Sid being able to step in to dictate, and players that are playing well and with passion get the nod.

The locker room dynamic needs to be blown up. I would love if they made a shock trade that sent Adams bye bye and they brought in a locker room terrorist. Getting into our comfort zone is how we've gotten to where we are at.

In 07-09 we knew we could be great if the hard work, desire, and passion were there. We got rewarded once for it. Seriously...go look at that team and tell me the lineup on paper is a Stanley Cup team. No way. But we fought and we fought hard. We escape Philly, went the distance with the Caps, cruised by Carolina who had no business being there, and then took the defending champs to 7 games all the while believing it was possible. When it wasn't going our way, they dug in and worked harder. There were respectable and legitimate leaders on that team. It's gone now.

Ever since, it's been "well we are the best team so...it should all come easy". Dominate the regular season without the effort, get comfy, get to like the boys you play with...then when it got hard...there were tantrums instead of hard nosed, never quit gutting it out play.

Then you create a toxic locker room by keeping Dan, playing favorites, and keeping the wrong guys because of who their friends are. We needed the "hey Army, I know you're Sid's bud but there's a trade that makes us better...bu-bye" not the "Hey Jarome, great to have you...we know you're a HOF RW but Sid likes 3rd line hands of stone Super Duper...so here's LW for you because we can't move Nealer. Speaking of which, hey Duper, Kuni, here's some ridiculous paper for you to sign."

I would love it if JR could make a trade that gutted whatever locker room mentality is currently in there. After that Columbus game where they **** the bed in the last minute, I really do believe management came in and told them there would be moves if they don't play well. Then magically they do when they know their jobs are on the line...mostly because 99% of them know the **** they get away with here wouldn't fly on any other NHL team.

It's BS and it's the core of the issues with the team. There's no fight, there's no urgency, and there's no passion or desire. Guys know where they sit and where they can get comfortable. And the organization enables it. I'm praying for a 1st round exit in spectacular fashion that leads to another 50% turn around and the addition of Mike Babcock.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
The Pens media makes it seem like Despres can't even tie his skates.

Uh false, I have addressed that already.

Well, the team seems incapable of hurting the feelings of their veterans and always scapegoat the young players. That's a pretty glaring one.

They work best with those players because that is the only type of player they have ever played with. Sid or Geno has never played with a winger like Eberle. Not once. There is nothing that suggests that Eberle with Crosby/Malkin wouldn't work. Eberle is insanely skilled, even if he doesn't mesh with Crosby or Malkin immediately, that line will still produce.

But he can. You're forgetting that. Every time Spaling has played center, he has looked solid.

This is the first time I've ever read on this site that they wouldn't make a trade to improve the bottom-6 because it makes the 4th line weaker. Our bottom-6 will still be solid with Adams in it. Will it be as good as it was yesterday? Of course not, but it's not like our 4th line will be Glass-Adams-Kobasew. There will be at least 2 good players on the 3rd line, and it doesn't erase the chance of another deal being made.

How is that relevant at all if you're concerned with hurting the chemistry of the team? Neal was a huge part of our team in the past.

Every single team in the league overrates veterans and underplays young players. The Pens are not special snow flakes. So if that is the best evidence for "country club atmosphere", then every team in the league must be a country club.

A three or four game sampling here or there of Spaling is insufficient for me to say that he can handle 3C. He's a decent player, but he doesn't drive possession any better than Sutter. Winnik drives possession better but is worse at FOs. These are all uncertain compromises. They could be good, or they could be worse than Sutter.

If you truly believe that the bottom 6 with Adams in it is solid and that moves in the off-season and moves at the TDL with a month left to play are the same thing, then we are done here. Neither one of those stands up to any scrutiny.

penguins2946*

This is why you really can't trust those charts fully:

B_GWfE9WwAA2rel.jpg:large

This is Wiercioch, this chart makes him seem like a top pair D.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Guys how much cap space do we need to clear for an Insta-mop? We need something to replace the mobility Adams brings on the PK.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I don't quite understand the sky is falling we lost already attitude based upon what others are doing. Yandle is a great player but what has he ever won.

Sure we might lose in the first, second or third or whatever round doesn't mean we have absolutely no shot because some other team got some other player. I'm not giving up and don't really fear any team this year. Are we the best? No but we certainly have a chance.

penguins2946*

That would be a nice add for Detroit, though he's not a righty though. A Phaneuf-Kronwall pair would be a ***** to play against.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There are some interesting names still out there. Parenteau, Williams and Stewart are all rumored to be moving out very soon, and the Sharks are rumored to be receiving a lot of calls on Marleau (that won't happen though). Most of the D have been moved by now though.

Parenteau is awful. Soff, and concussed. Pass. Williams and Stewart would help. But Williams would be a hockey trade, so that's the one to pursue here. Stewart will go for a high price, imo.

That would be pretty pointless.

I disagree. I'd rather have a UFA Kunitz right now, then a Kunitz with two years left on his deal.

So yeah I'd do Kunitz for Williams. It probably buries Bennett even more, which sucks, but Bennett is already buried.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That would be pretty pointless.

How is it pointless?

They have similar production this season, but Williams is a proven clutch player, which is exactly what this team needs.

I think Kunitz can still help in some capacity, but it's no contest who I'd prefer in big games. Williams is also a lot more crafty with the puck, and two years younger.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
the biggest acquisition this team could make is getting crosby to play like the best player in the world. do whatever it takes to get him going. send him to sports psychologist, have a sit down with lemieux/gretzky/orr/yzerman, take him to a brothel , take him to church, send him to conversion therapy, make him watch 12 hours of highlights from early in his career... whatever it takes, the pens priority needs to be getting sid going, not worry about bottom pairing d-men and fourth liners.

no trade is going to matter if sid doesnt revert back to the sid of old.

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
Sportsnet "if the pens make a deal it will most likely be a bigger one. Brandon Sutter is a name that is being thrown around, they want a DMEN, preferably a top-four dmen"

penguins2946*

Until you look at the TOI per game line...

You could easily just argue that he's being underused in Ottawa with just using the chart. He's a bottom pair defenseman, but the chart makes him look great.

Parenteau is awful. Soff, and concussed. Pass. Williams and Stewart would help. But Williams would be a hockey trade, so that's the one to pursue here. Stewart will go for a high price, imo..

Oh I wasn't advocating Parenteau, I was just saying he was on the market. My bad :laugh:

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I believe it's less prevalent now that Shero and Bylsma are gone but there's no doubt this organization is a good ol boys club. Cold harsh realities would dictate Adams being waived, Dupuis not on the top line, Kunitz on the 3rd line, no brother Sid being able to step in to dictate, and players that are playing well and with passion get the nod.

The locker room dynamic needs to be blown up. I would love if they made a shock trade that sent Adams bye bye and they brought in a locker room terrorist. Getting into our comfort zone is how we've gotten to where we are at.

In 07-09 we knew we could be great if the hard work, desire, and passion were there. We got rewarded once for it. Seriously...go look at that team and tell me the lineup on paper is a Stanley Cup team. No way. But we fought and we fought hard. We escape Philly, went the distance with the Caps, cruised by Carolina who had no business being there, and then took the defending champs to 7 games all the while believing it was possible. When it wasn't going our way, they dug in and worked harder. There were respectable and legitimate leaders on that team. It's gone now.

Ever since, it's been "well we are the best team so...it should all come easy". Dominate the regular season without the effort, get comfy, get to like the boys you play with...then when it got hard...there were tantrums instead of hard nosed, never quit gutting it out play.

Then you create a toxic locker room by keeping Dan, playing favorites, and keeping the wrong guys because of who their friends are. We needed the "hey Army, I know you're Sid's bud but there's a trade that makes us better...bu-bye" not the "Hey Jarome, great to have you...we know you're a HOF RW but Sid likes 3rd line hands of stone Super Duper...so here's LW for you because we can't move Nealer. Speaking of which, hey Duper, Kuni, here's some ridiculous paper for you to sign."

I would love it if JR could make a trade that gutted whatever locker room mentality is currently in there. After that Columbus game where they **** the bed in the last minute, I really do believe management came in and told them there would be moves if they don't play well. Then magically they do when they know their jobs are on the line...mostly because 99% of them know the **** they get away with here wouldn't fly on any other NHL team.

It's BS and it's the core of the issues with the team. There's no fight, there's no urgency, and there's no passion or desire. Guys know where they sit and where they can get comfortable. And the organization enables it. I'm praying for a 1st round exit in spectacular fashion that leads to another 50% turn around and the addition of Mike Babcock.

I think we the public know jack **** about the locker room or its needs or what would make it better. I also think we know jack **** about what management did or did not say. Crosby himself said Lemieux and he didn't even talk hockey in the big meeting that the media blew out of proportion.

Assuming that the on-ice product gives some insight into the locker room especially enough to say that this move or that move is necessary seems like straight up ********.

I also categorically disagree that "there's no passion or desire" on the Pens. So I guess different strokes and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad