GDT: NHL Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
The Pens bottom-6 would (or should) be:

Winnik-Spaling-Bennett
Adams-Lapierre-Downie

We also gain $1.15 million in cap space, which we could use to bring in a 4th line forward if we want to. That also completely ignores how huge of an upgrade Kunitz to Eberle is.

You are ignoring the fact that EDM most likely would not make that deal especially now. Maybe in the off-season.

penguins2946*

Also, team chemistry is important. Like it or not, Sutter and Kunitz are a part of this team. The Pens are on a 4 game winning streak and have righted the ship after the org called them out. How do you think the players would react to that if on deadline day you traded 2 of their top 9 players for Eberle? I just don't think it's quite as easy as you make it seem.

Oh no, what would ever happen if we upset the country club atmosphere. Come on, you could come up with much better arguments than this. I can buy not being interested in Eberle due to his play style (he's soft and weak defensively), but upsetting the country club isn't something that anyone would buy as justification.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Oh no, what would ever happen if we upset the country club atmosphere. Come on, you could come up with much better arguments than this. I can buy not being interested in Eberle due to his play style (he's soft and weak defensively), but upsetting the country club isn't something that anyone would buy as justification.

Okay man agree to disagree.

penguins2946*

You are ignoring the fact that EDM most likely would not make that deal especially now. Maybe in the off-season.

Oh, I know they wouldn't do that trade now. That hurts their tank because it makes them a better team. Still, that wasn't really the point of that. I wasn't really thinking about Edmonton in this situation.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm totally content with us doing nothing, in fact, I'd prefer it. I do want to see some trades happen for other teams though.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
We were pretty even with the Habs and Bolts before their 2 trades. Now, with Tampa adding Coburn (which is a huge addition IMO) and the Habs adding Petry (much smaller than Coburn), I really don't think we could match up with them.
Then again, the Habs D was already good, Petry changes nothing there, their problem is the offense. As for Coburn, he is extremely overrated. Even if he helps Tampa, it´s not the end of the world for us as there are worse matchups than them in the Atlantic for us. If we make it out of the Metro somehow and face Tampa somehow, I´m a happy camper. Coburn doesn´t change that much.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

You bring up the "country club atmosphere" ********, and then challenge someone to make better arguments.

Eberle is not the right type of winger for either Crosby or Malkin.

Eberle does not make up for Kunitz's production, Adams back in the line-up, and Spaling or Winnik at 3C - a position that neither have played consistently.

Moving Kunitz and Sutter for Eberle likely disrupts the locker room.

Trades for Eberle and then a bottom 6 winger to replace Adams (using what assets?) is a lot of moving parts.

EDM is not going to trade Eberle.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't think we are going to make any major changes to the forward group. For the first time in a long time we have a pretty damn deep and balanced group up front. I don't think it's the right year for yet another rental. I like what JR has done by building a team that we should be able to keep together, rather than trading for help every year. If he does make a major acquisition, it needs to be a long term one.

penguins2946*

How would people feel about this? It opens up a little cap space and gives us another tradeable asset. Though I'm not really sure what Greiss would bring back, probably not much.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
We were pretty even with the Habs and Bolts before their 2 trades. Now, with Tampa adding Coburn (which is a huge addition IMO) and the Habs adding Petry (much smaller than Coburn), I really don't think we could match up with them.

Didn't you throw in the towel yesterday already anyway? :laugh:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Wow.. JR really needs to consider trading Sutter given the high prices this TDL..

Also this never gets old:

k4fozq3xvvnzi1whs5pg.jpg

YinzAintBurgh*

Why's that?

He's the closest thing we got to a Staal. He's great at face-offs which is huge come playoff time. He can PK. He does all the little things that matter. Plugging Spaling in will be a downgrade and will bring Adams back in the lineup somehow.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
They already have too many centers, and I hope the Pens don't take back any of the ones that they would move (DD & Eller)

Yeah, but all of their centers are lefties: Plekanec, Desharnais, de la Rose, Malhotra, plus Eller and Galchenyuk both playing wing right now.

I would take Desharnais if he's the salary dump in the deal. Sutter for one of their top prospects and DD, I would consider. Desharnais is a very creative little player. And he plays with a lot of moxie, too. BUT, he makes us smaller and that's not good. So the downgrade at center would need to be countered with a TOP prospect coming our way.

Like a Scherbak, basically.

Eller I do not want at all.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
If Kunitz stays on the second line and continues to just go to the net and let Geno and BC handle the puck I'm fine with the second line this season. Also if Adams is buried and doesn't play I'm completely fine with our forward set up from last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad