NHL.com TOP 20 Defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
1-Makar

2-7-Fox Hughes Heiskanen Dahlin Josi Bouchard

8-11-Hedman MacAvoy Toews Hamilton

12-16-Dobson Morrissey Doughty Hamilton Ekholm

17+-Forsling Werenski Slavin Theodore Reilly Montour

Not a big fan of a # list so here is tiers with players organized in no specific order.

Sorry Seider Fans, you can't make the top 20 off of his lowest Time on ice average of his career.

You... You gauged Seider's value off his TOI being lower?

His usage was ungodly...

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I’m a pretty big Dahlin Homer but no way does he deserve a tier over Bouchard. Defensive play aside, EB puts up ungodly numbers in reg and post season.
Last year was the first season Bouchard ever passed 43 points....and isn't even close to the team's main offensive threat. Dahlin was nearly PPG 2 years ago and was threatening Karlsson until he got hurt. He's also the most physical defenseman of these 20. Even when the team sucked this season especially on the PP he tallied 20 goals and led the team in points even though most of the top 6 had disappointing seasons.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Well as you can see his actual goal differential is also excellent, as is his PP production and overall point production.

Only Brodin, and Lindholm (who has played in front of a goaltending duo that has something like +120 GSAx the last 2 years) have better actual goal results than hamilton over the lst 2 years

Do you believe Jonas Siegenthaler is a better guy to be paired with than:

Carlo/McAvoy
Roman Josi
Middleton/Brodin
Brock Faber
Artem Zub
Vince Dunn

I will give you Lindell who's been paired with Hakanpaa

Hamilton also has a 55% xGoals share in the playoffs.

Also Hamilton has one of the better shots in hockey among dman, to the point where there were polls about whether he has a better shot than bouchard (not that I agree but you get the point) His expected goal metrics would likely be undercounted, not overcounted
What is Hamilton's GP? He's played more than 62 games once in the last five years.

It's probably the only stat that really matters.

Sorry/not sorry.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The fact that no one cares about southern teams is working in our favor for once because no Lightning fan thinks Hedman is a top 3 defenseman anymore.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I don’t think that’s the case.

The last couple of years, defenseman have been putting up near 100 point seasons. Karlsson was the first in like what, 3 decades, to put up a 100 point season? That’s extremely rare nowadays and it’s being done now.

Orr, Bourque, Housley, Coffey, Lidstrom were all points leaders when they won their Norris. You can say there were *better* defensive players than them 1 for 1. But that’s the thing, those guys wouldn’t even come close to the above offensively.

Historically speaking, the Norris trophy was always more favourited towards point leaders. And majority of the Norris winners (with the exception of 2023 Karlsson who was IMO the worst defensive player to win it) can hold their own defensively. What seperates them from other defenseman is that they simply produce more which has a much more direct impact for the team. If you spend more time on the transition, can effectively hold onto the puck in the offensive zone, and maintain consistent possession, you will concede less goals. Currently, no one does this better than Makar, Hughes, Fox or Josi.

There will always be someone better than another defensively. In terms of determining who’s better than the other offensively, that’s easy. The higher scoring player and the one that does it frequently.
I will just forever take issue that best "defenseman" always has to do with point production. Not saying those attributes aren't incredibly important and it's much better to have the Hakars, Foxes, etc on your team than not, but the shutdown guys are also incredibly important and they tend to get overlooked as "best defensemen." I realize I'm fighting a losing battle, but honestly, Forsling has little to do with that. I know he's not in the top 5 category.
I think Forsling is a great defensemen but sixth is too high.

Not sure who you're referring to but sour grapes does not apply to me. I'm a Blackhawks fan, I didn't expect Jones to be ranked here.
Sure, but he's a guy that every team (at this stage of his career) would love to have, no?

Reactions: Voight

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Using this list, I probably go:

Makar
Hughes
Josi
Heiskanen
Hedman
Fox
McAvoy
Forsling
Slavin
Dahlin
Toews
Ekholm
Dobson
Doughty
Morrisey
Seider
Bouchard
Werenski
Hanifin
Hamilton

I find it difficult to really parse this list though. Guys like Ekholm and Slavin lose ground because they’re not big producers but they’re also clearly superior defensively than plenty of guys above them. Guys like Doughty and Werenski lose ground to age/injuries. Toews is probably terribly overrated. Every other one of these guys besides Bouchard (who I also feel is overrated - not because he doesn’t produce elite numbers but, similar to Toews playing with Makar/Mackinnon, is in an ideal position to succeed) anchors their own pairing. Toews would not likely be a #1 on many teams; Anaheim, Montreal, Utah, Calgary, San Jose? Would Toews really be the #1 D over Doughty or Slavin or Seider or Dahlin? Than it’s tough having him placed above them. He’s in a perfect situation in Colorado.

Last edited:

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Last year was the first season Bouchard ever passed 43 points....and isn't even close to the team's main offensive threat. Dahlin was nearly PPG 2 years ago and was threatening Karlsson until he got hurt. He's also the most physical defenseman of these 20. Even when the team sucked this season especially on the PP he tallied 20 goals and led the team in points even though most of the top 6 had disappointing seasons.
Well when you put it that way .. #BadTake

Reactions: LokiDog

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I will just forever take issue that best "defenseman" always has to do with point production. Not saying those attributes aren't incredibly important and it's much better to have the Hakars, Foxes, etc on your team than not, but the shutdown guys are also incredibly important and they tend to get overlooked as "best defensemen." I realize I'm fighting a losing battle, but honestly, Forsling has little to do with that. I know he's not in the top 5 category.

Sure, but he's a guy that every team (at this stage of his career) would love to have, no?

Yes, but that doesn't equate to him being the sixth best defensemen in the league.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
Makar Hughes Josi and Fox are easily top four. I don't care what order you put those 4 in, but they're a tier above every other defenseman in the NHL right now.

For the next tier I'd have Heiskanen, McAvoy, Slavin, Hedman, and Bouchard.

Right behind them is guys like Dahlin, Forsling, Morrisey, and Dobson (other players fit in this tier, just listed a few examples)

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
But why?

Maybe with a functional PP and our top two C bouncing back from last year, along with some depth added, this might be the year Dahlin finally ceases to be so underrated :dunno:
Hey now I didn’t mean it like that, goal

Top 5 atm:

1) Cale Makar
2) Quinn Hughes
3) Roman Josi
4) Adam Fox
5) Miro Heiskanen
Hm: Charlie McAvoy
Now do 2026 predictions

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Hey now I didn’t mean it like that, goal

That 2nd part wasn’t meant to be directed at you but the boards in general.

As for Eckholm though, Dahlin was tied for most points on the team and still just about got to 60pts (20G) despite the circumstances. He's also a physical defenseman and isn't bad defensively, so I just can't see Ekholm bringing more to a team.

Tbh if Dahlin was an Oiler, I'd be surprised if he wasn't consistently the top scoring defenseman, although he probably isn't the only one you could say that about.

Reactions: Coffees

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
1-Makar

2-7-Fox Hughes Heiskanen Dahlin Josi Bouchard

8-11-Hedman MacAvoy Toews Hamilton

12-16-Dobson Morrissey Doughty Hamilton Ekholm

17+-Forsling Werenski Slavin Theodore Reilly Montour

Not a big fan of a # list so here is tiers with players organized in no specific order.

Sorry Seider Fans, you can't make the top 20 off of his lowest Time on ice average of his career.
Bouchard and Dahlin are one tier below Fox, Josi, Heiskanen, Hughes.

Not far off though.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Fox and Dahlin way too low, Hedman way too high, Hughes too high (why does it feel like any other player would be asked to prove the season wasn't a fluke but Hughes just gets anointed? Is it just because people don't want to deal with Canucks fans?)
No it’s because he just had a dominant 92 point season at age 24 after several years of being an elite dman.

No one gets the “prove it” treatment after that.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I’m a pretty big Dahlin Homer but no way does he deserve a tier over Bouchard. Defensive play aside, EB puts up ungodly numbers in reg and post season.
If his numbers are ungodly what are the two guys who finished ahead of him by 10 points?

Dallin had 73 points last year and doesn’t spend the bulk of his time with the best player in the world. I take him over Bouchard pretty easily.

This is the problem with Bouchard vs the top guys. Stick any of them in his position and what does their production look like?

For several (makar, Hughes, Josi, maybe Karlsson) I think we are looking at 100 point seasons.

Of course most people have Bouchard ranked below Makar/Hughes/Josi so that’s a bit unfair. Just saying he’s clearly still a tier below the top offensively.

Vs dahlin: I don’t think Dahlin has any problems matching Bouchards offense if he’s on the oilers. I think he brings more to the table overall.

Bouchard is a great player but I just don’t think he is able to match really elite in the game. I think Dahlin is closer. Bouchard isn’t great defensively. He’s not a great skater. He’s got decent size but hes not really imposing. He’s got an elite shot and pretty great offensive vision. Could win a Norris if he gets enough assists playing with McDavid but I don’t think he will ever come close to having a season a good as other recent winners.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Karlsson had a 100 point Norris season the year before and he's not on the list at all.
Probably the most criticized Norris ever.

Also his third, if Hughes flukes his way to an Erik Karlsson level career I’m fine with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad