NHL.com TOP 20 Defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Fox and Dahlin way too low, Hedman way too high, Hughes too high (why does it feel like any other player would be asked to prove the season wasn't a fluke but Hughes just gets anointed? Is it just because people don't want to deal with Canucks fans?)

A 90 pt Norris winning season is never a fluke.

You are trying to devolve the argument in to what logo he wears and flukes. Truly pathetic.

Reactions: geebster and bh53

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Eh, even as a Wings fan this season will be telling.

He has mildly more support this season than before, so his horrific usage should be at least partially helped

There were certain points last season he was just bad. Mostly near the start

Hedman is not a top 3 D anymore
His last season's seems to be a split review...

Many point out he got caved and hasn't progressed

Many point out he had very hard deployment and that it is why

For me.. I've always thought he was in the top tier of D in the NHL.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Fair, but he still had a great season and had the best (+\-) iirc. I’m not saying I disagree, I just think the criteria for “best defensemen) is skewed toward point getters too often.
I don’t think that’s the case.

The last couple of years, defenseman have been putting up near 100 point seasons. Karlsson was the first in like what, 3 decades, to put up a 100 point season? That’s extremely rare nowadays and it’s being done now.

Orr, Bourque, Housley, Coffey, Lidstrom were all points leaders when they won their Norris. You can say there were *better* defensive players than them 1 for 1. But that’s the thing, those guys wouldn’t even come close to the above offensively.

Historically speaking, the Norris trophy was always more favourited towards point leaders. And majority of the Norris winners (with the exception of 2023 Karlsson who was IMO the worst defensive player to win it) can hold their own defensively. What seperates them from other defenseman is that they simply produce more which has a much more direct impact for the team. If you spend more time on the transition, can effectively hold onto the puck in the offensive zone, and maintain consistent possession, you will concede less goals. Currently, no one does this better than Makar, Hughes, Fox or Josi.

There will always be someone better than another defensively. In terms of determining who’s better than the other offensively, that’s easy. The higher scoring player and the one that does it frequently.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
most of the names are expected but the order for some a bit off. Hedman a bit high, Forsling too high, Fox too low etc

My groupings are

Makar
Hughes
Fox
Josi

Heiskanen
McAvoy
Slavin
Hedman
Toews

Dahlin
Bouchard
Morrisey
Forsling
Hamilton

Seider
Ekholm
Brodin
Weegar
Dobson
Lindholm

Hm: Hanafin, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Werenski

Last edited:

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Agree with your point about the Leafs, but that doesn't take away from what I said above.

Maybe I'm wrong, but something like this:

Tier 1
Makar Hughes Heiskanen Dahlin Josi

Tier 2
Fox Hedman MacAvoy Bouchard Toews

Tier 3
Dobson Morrissey Doughty Hamilton Seider

Tier 4
Forsling Werenski Slavin Ekholm Hanafin Weegar Theodore Reilly Montour

I'm probably forgetting some too...
I’m a pretty big Dahlin Homer but no way does he deserve a tier over Bouchard. Defensive play aside, EB puts up ungodly numbers in reg and post season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Obligatory:

1000004971.png

Forget defensemen, Fox is higher than 8 if you did players.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
1-Makar

2-7-Fox Hughes Heiskanen Dahlin Josi Bouchard

8-11-Hedman MacAvoy Toews Hamilton

12-16-Dobson Morrissey Doughty Hamilton Ekholm

17+-Forsling Werenski Slavin Theodore Reilly Montour

Not a big fan of a # list so here is tiers with players organized in no specific order.

Sorry Seider Fans, you can't make the top 20 off of his lowest Time on ice average of his career.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I like the top 2. Adam Fox should definitely be there though, probably #3, but top 5 at worst.

Rest looks kind of ok at the top, except Forsling is too high. But no issue with the top 9 outside of those 2 things.

A bit less sure about the rankings of ~10-20, so i'll let others comment there.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He was the #1 defenseman on a Cup winner. Helped shutdown the best player in the world for most of the series AND scored some great goals…all while having a really solid season.

Sour grapes cause he’s higher than your boy is funny.

It’s top 20 defensemen, not top 20 defenders who’ll score the most points.

I think Forsling is a great defensemen but sixth is too high.

Not sure who you're referring to but sour grapes does not apply to me. I'm a Blackhawks fan, I didn't expect Jones to be ranked here.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That Hanafin ranking is absolutely bonkers. He’s probably not top 40 let alone top 20. He was the 3rd or 4th best dman on the Flames last year but suddenly he’s ahead of Weegar/Andersson, and in the top 20???

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fox’s Norris finishes the last 4 season:

1st
5th
2nd
4th

He was 2nd team all NHL last season. Why did he drop on their rankings? Because he had a so-so playoffs while playing on a torn MCL? Makes no sense.
No, it's because they wanted to generate clicks and looked at a population density map.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Karlsson had a 100 point Norris season the year before and he's not on the list at all.

Karlsson has multiple Norris' and was arguably a generations best defenseman. His decline isn't exactly a surprise...He's old now.

I don't get your logic. Are you expecting Hughes to fall off a cliff? And why?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Karlsson has multiple Norris' and was arguably a generations best defenseman. His decline isn't exactly a surprise...He's old now.

I don't get your logic. Are you expecting Hughes to fall off a cliff? And why?
104 PDO

Doubled his career high in goals and then proceeded to score 0 in playoffs, it's already begun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad