NHL.com TOP 20 Defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Slavin Forsling and Ekholm would be at my bottom of the top 20 if that.
That’s why your team doesn’t win

Forsling over Fox and McAvoy? Lol
EASILY over McAvoy. Fox I can definitely see being ahead of him. But this is once again going to show why guys like Barkov and Forsling are underrated. People don’t know how dominant they are defensively.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
You... You gauged Seider's value off his TOI being lower?

His usage was ungodly...
What about his usage was ungodly? His TOI went down, that means he was not trusted to be on the ice as much. A #1 is an all-situation player. Power had about the same TOI as Seider.

• Haha
Reactions: norrisnick

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
T
No, it's because they wanted to generate clicks and looked at a population density map.
Yeah, pretty much confirmed when they posted the next morning something like "What did you not agree with about the list?" with a picture of Fox.

I get when something like Spitting Chiclets does stuff like this for engagement farming but seeing NHL network do it just feels wrong.

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Forsling is also only making $5.75M for the next 8 years. If anything, when factoring in cap hit AAV, Forsling should be #1. Forsling + Verhaeghe for the same $9M is worth more than 1 Makar.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Forsling is also only making $5.75M for the next 8 years. If anything, when factoring in cap hit AAV, Forsling should be #1. Forsling + Verhaeghe for the same $9M is worth more than 1 Makar.
Verhaeghe is not an average 4 mill player, and trying to tack him on to make Forsling look better is disingenuous

You're looking more at a David Perron or Viktor Arviddson in terms of recent free agents to bridge that gap in pay

Reactions: bh53

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Verhaeghe is not an average 4 mill player, and trying to tack him on to make Forsling look better is disingenuous

You're looking more at a David Perron or Viktor Arviddson in terms of recent free agents to bridge that gap in pay
Swaggy is due for a raise. But I dare anyone to disagree with Florida having by far the best contract situation in the league.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
A 90 pt Norris winning season is never a fluke.

You are trying to devolve the argument in to what logo he wears and flukes. Truly pathetic.

I’m not sure I would use the word “fluke”, but players hit high point levels in their early to mid 20s without ever reaching that level again all the time. It’s actually the norm. Most players don’t usually win multiple Norris trophies, they usually only win one in the best season of their career (also the norm).

Considering 38 points came on the power play (which really seems to fluctuate year-to-year), it wouldn’t surprise me if Hughes never hits that point total again. We’ll see though, that’s why hockey is fun.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
If his numbers are ungodly what are the two guys who finished ahead of him by 10 points?

Dallin had 73 points last year and doesn’t spend the bulk of his time with the best player in the world. I take him over Bouchard pretty easily.

This is the problem with Bouchard vs the top guys. Stick any of them in his position and what does their production look like?

For several (makar, Hughes, Josi, maybe Karlsson) I think we are looking at 100 point seasons.

Of course most people have Bouchard ranked below Makar/Hughes/Josi so that’s a bit unfair. Just saying he’s clearly still a tier below the top offensively.

Vs dahlin: I don’t think Dahlin has any problems matching Bouchards offense if he’s on the oilers. I think he brings more to the table overall.

Bouchard is a great player but I just don’t think he is able to match really elite in the game. I think Dahlin is closer. Bouchard isn’t great defensively. He’s not a great skater. He’s got decent size but hes not really imposing. He’s got an elite shot and pretty great offensive vision. Could win a Norris if he gets enough assists playing with McDavid but I don’t think he will ever come close to having a season a good as other recent winners.
Yeah, you're the 3rd person to quote me and I already said it was a bad take. Leave washed up 29 yr old alone. LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!

BTW: Not once did I say Bouchard is better than Dahlin, just that I thought they were on similar tiers. After an influx of information, I realize that opinion may not be accurate so I changed my mind.

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Forsling is the best DEFENDER on that list, if some prefer more offensive options, so be it.

But he matched up and had the better of 4 of the other top 20 guys in each playoff series just this past season.

Funny the amount of salt he still gets despite his coming out party. Best #1 Dman contract in the league, hands down.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’m not sure I would use the word “fluke”, but players hit high point levels in their early to mid 20s without ever reaching that level again all the time. It’s actually the norm. Most players don’t usually win multiple Norris trophies, they usually only win one in the best season of their career (also the norm).

Considering 38 points came on the power play (which really seems to fluctuate year-to-year), it wouldn’t surprise me if Hughes never hits that point total again. We’ll see though, that’s why hockey is fun.

LOLOL
He led the league in even strength scoring for defense

Reactions: kranuck

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
he’s clearly still a tier below the top offensively.
1725043352824.png

here are the last 2 playoffs.... I'd say he's keeping good company. Leads in assists, points and .ppg. Even more impressive.. doesn't lead in games played.

Curious what he has to do to belong with the elites offensively?

Eg. he cracks out 100 points this season.. is that enough?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Not only that, but 80% of Bouchard's TOI during the playoffs was spent with Connor McDavid on the ice., too. Bouchard is a great complimentary piece, but he's very much just that. He's not an elite defender.
Other teams should try that... imagine how good the Avs would be if they played Makar with MacK 80% of the time?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not only that, but 80% of Bouchard's TOI during the playoffs was spent with Connor McDavid on the ice., too. Bouchard is a great complimentary piece, but he's very much just that. He's not an elite defender.

He was the best player in the Oilers-Canucks playoff series period. Not McDavid, not Draisaitl, not Hughes.

If that's a "complimentary" piece I think 31 other teams would kiss their own rear end to have more complimentary players.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
View attachment 904095

here are the last 2 playoffs.... I'd say he's keeping good company. Leads in assists, points and .ppg. Even more impressive.. doesn't lead in games played.

Curious what he has to do to belong with the elites offensively?

Eg. he cracks out 100 points this season.. is that enough?
Oh wow that’s amazing evidence that he’s incredibly overrated because he plays with McDavid.

Bouchard would struggle to crack 60 on every other team.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I will just forever take issue that best "defenseman" always has to do with point production. Not saying those attributes aren't incredibly important and it's much better to have the Hakars, Foxes, etc on your team than not, but the shutdown guys are also incredibly important and they tend to get overlooked as "best defensemen." I realize I'm fighting a losing battle, but honestly, Forsling has little to do with that. I know he's not in the top 5 category.

Sure, but he's a guy that every team (at this stage of his career) would love to have, no?
Because they aren’t the best.

Turn it around, would you ever consider a complete disaster in his own end to be the best?

One way players have less value, unless it’s so dominating

since he entered the league Hughes leads all dmen in power play points and has averaged 33 points per 82 games.

That’s including years where he was stuck on putrid teams.

You can keep hoping but Hughes has been elite since day one.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
LOLOL
He led the league in even strength scoring for defense
3rd in defensive scoring since his rookie season. Scored at pretty much a 60 point pace since his rookie year (and has jumped up the last few years).

Hughes is just one of the best players in the game. I wouldn’t even take Makar over him. Best player to ever wear a canucks jersey IMO. Incredibly special player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad