NHL.com TOP 20 Defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
How is he doing in things that actually matter?
Well as you can see his actual goal differential is also excellent, as is his PP production and overall point production.

Only Brodin, and Lindholm (who has played in front of a goaltending duo that has something like +120 GSAx the last 2 years) have better actual goal results than hamilton over the lst 2 years
I'm aware. Expected goals model overly rewards volume shooters, and Hamilton has been babysat by great shutdown dmen for almost his entire career.

More importantly, he's a complete liability come playoff time.
Do you believe Jonas Siegenthaler is a better guy to be paired with than:

Carlo/McAvoy
Roman Josi
Middleton/Brodin
Brock Faber
Artem Zub
Vince Dunn

I will give you Lindell who's been paired with Hakanpaa

Hamilton also has a 55% xGoals share in the playoffs.

Also Hamilton has one of the better shots in hockey among dman, to the point where there were polls about whether he has a better shot than bouchard (not that I agree but you get the point) His expected goal metrics would likely be undercounted, not overcounted

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Seider seems low
Eh, even as a Wings fan this season will be telling.

He has mildly more support this season than before, so his horrific usage should be at least partially helped

There were certain points last season he was just bad. Mostly near the start

Hedman is not a top 3 D anymore

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Agree with your point about the Leafs, but that doesn't take away from what I said above.

Maybe I'm wrong, but something like this:

Tier 1
Makar Hughes Heiskanen Dahlin Josi

Tier 2
Fox Hedman MacAvoy Bouchard Toews

Tier 3
Dobson Morrissey Doughty Hamilton Seider

Tier 4
Forsling Werenski Slavin Ekholm Hanafin Weegar Theodore Reilly Montour

I'm probably forgetting some too...
Pretty decent list as is the NHL.com one really.

Some people are going to gripe about placement s a bit as some guys have career like years and others ahd down years but overall a good list.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
i feel like Hedman is still riding that high of that bonkers playoff run he had, but dont feel like hes top 5

id move up Heiskanen and Fox up, i think Salvin should be top 10 too

Reactions: nashnaidoo

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Nice to see Seider get some love. He's a workhorse who's only going to improve as the Wings roster gets better around him. Tough way to start his career, being dropped into the #1 role on a rebuilding team.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
All three of them on the Leafs make the Leafs easy favorites, and hey now! I'm not saying my statement is coming from love, but you have to show some respect to these world class defenders in my opinion!
How is saying they are at the bottom of the top 20 list of all D in the league showing a lack of respect? lol. Not everything has to be put into the context of the Leafs. Obviously Leafs fans would love any of them on the team.

Reactions: Voight and Coffees

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Forsling over Fox and McAvoy? Lol

Forsling quickly going from most underrated to most overrated.

Is Forsling gonna be the new Toews? The guy who goes from underrated to overrated very quickly?

He was the #1 defenseman on a Cup winner. Helped shutdown the best player in the world for most of the series AND scored some great goals…all while having a really solid season.

Sour grapes cause he’s higher than your boy is funny.

It’s top 20 defensemen, not top 20 defenders who’ll score the most points.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He was the #1 defenseman on a Cup winner. Helped shutdown the best player in the world for most of the series AND scored some great goals…all while having a really solid season.

Sour grapes cause he’s higher than your boy is funny.

It’s top 20 defensemen, not top 20 defenders who’ll score the most points.
I still wouldn’t put him above McAvoy or Fox. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve to be on this list, but over Fox and McAvoy who have both showed much more over a longer period?

It’s like saying Dennis Seidenberg was the 6th best defenseman in the entire NHL after the Boston 2011 Stanley cup just because he shutdown two Art Ross/Lindsay/Hart players at the time (both Sedins).

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I still wouldn’t put him above McAvoy or Fox. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve to be on this list, but over Fox and McAvoy who have both showed much more over a longer period?

It’s like saying Dennis Seidenberg was the 6th best defenseman in the entire NHL after the Boston 2011 Stanley cup just because he shutdown two Art Ross/Lindsay/Hart players at the time (both Sedins).

Fair, but he still had a great season and had the best (+\-) iirc. I’m not saying I disagree, I just think the criteria for “best defensemen) is skewed toward point getters too often.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Agree with your point about the Leafs, but that doesn't take away from what I said above.

Maybe I'm wrong, but something like this:

Tier 1
Makar Hughes Heiskanen Dahlin Josi

Tier 2
Fox Hedman MacAvoy Bouchard Toews

Tier 3
Dobson Morrissey Doughty Hamilton Seider

Tier 4
Forsling Werenski Slavin Ekholm Hanafin Weegar Theodore Reilly Montour

I'm probably forgetting some too...
Fox is in Tier 1 without a doubt, how can you have heiskanen and dahlin over Fox i do not under stand

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hedman at 3 is the overrated part here. He’s still a great offensive #1 defenseman but the last few years I see him constantly get worked and torched by quicker forwards, especially in the playoffs. I wouldn’t have him top 10 let alone #3. Which is fine. He’s still really good but he’s lost a step and mobility. It happens even to all-timers. He’s not that guy anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad