NHL.com ranks top 20 centers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
That's not how it works.
The problem here is that you're assuming both players had the same goal in those shared minutes. So you're seeing it as since both teams scored the same, neither player did better.

However, when McDavid steps onto the ice his only purpose is to have the puck end up in the net, because that's what he's good at - he's the best at it! But when Barkov was on the ice with McDavid, his goal was to PREVENT McDavid (and the Oilers) from scoring. And Barkov did better in meeting his goal than McDavid did with own.

Think if it analogously to two armies in a war. If the majority of army A attacks a smaller defensive position of army B and army B holds them off with minimal casualties on either side (while also keeping that part of A from going elsewhere), while the rest of army B is winning against A, B is accomplishing its strategic objective while A is not.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
It’s not up for debate.

We already know what happens when a team built around the best two way centerman in the world goes up against the two top offensive centermen in McDavid and Drai in the Stanley Cup Finals.

McDavid is 1a, Barkov is 2b tied with MacKinnon.

Anyone really choosing Matthews or Drai over Barkov is just clinging to a false narrative.

• Love
Reactions: RCGP2 and Laus723

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
The problem here is that you're assuming both players had the same goal in those shared minutes. So you're seeing it as since both teams scored the same, neither player did better.

However, when McDavid steps onto the ice his only purpose is to have the puck end up in the net, because that's what he's good at - he's the best at it! But when Barkov was on the ice with McDavid, his goal was to PREVENT McDavid (and the Oilers) from scoring. And Barkov did better in meeting his goal than McDavid did with own.

Think if it analogously to two armies in a war. If the majority of army A attacks a smaller defensive position of army B and army B holds them off with minimal casualties on either side (while also keeping that part of A from going elsewhere), while the rest of army B is winning against A, B is accomplishing its strategic objective while A is not.
Just because the goal of the worse player is to neutralize the better player, it doesn't mean that neutralizing the better player is necessarily outplaying them. It may mean playing better relative to the expectations we place on them, but in terms of actual results in the finals it was just playing the match up to a draw. But that also ignores that McDavid is better than Barkov at exploiting the weaker match ups, and is also much better on the powerplay.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It’s not up for debate.

We already know what happens when a team built around the best two way centerman in the world goes up against the two top offensive centermen in McDavid and Drai in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Anyone really choosing Matthews or Drai over Barkov is just clinging to a false narrative.

I love Barkov.

Quite literally nobody would take Barkov over McDavid.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I love Barkov.

Quite literally nobody would take Barkov over McDavid.
Agreed. I said McDavid was number 1. I also stated that a team built around Barkov defeated a team built around McDrai, because it’s a fact we can’t ignore. Top 3 centerman can do that to the number 1. Top 5, they tend to live for the handshake lines in the second round at best.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The top 5 is pretty legitimate. McDavid clearly number 1.

2-5 you're splitting hairs between the quality of these players.

Miller should be higher than Pettersson as others have mentioned.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yeah no. I absolutely despise matthews but he’s absolutely better than Barkov. Once matthews has his one decent run then people will completely flip on him. Tkachuck and Barkov sucked in the playoffs until they didn’t.
Matthews struggles in the playoffs are purely a Toronto Maple Laffs debuff. On a different team he’d do much better

Reactions: I am not exposed

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It’s not up for debate.

What happens when he goes up against #1 center and # 8 on this list, Jack Eichel in the finals?

Last time it was a one sided beat down where Eichel and the VGK had their way with Florida, much like FLA did to Toronto that same year.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
69 goals will do that
Got be that ....cause it ain't based play off performances.

Matthews struggles in the playoffs are purely a Toronto Maple Laffs debuff. On a different team he’d do much better
Matthews just on bad team..... Uh ok, I guess. I'm sure McDavid would suck too if he had to play with Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Reilly in a play off series.
As would Draisaitl, Crosby, and Mackinnon. 😉
If only the leafs could surround Austin with some talent. He could produce at play off time.

Last edited:

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Hischier is better then Suzuki, its's not complicated. the only people who think differently are some Hab's fans.

Hischier vs Suzuki poll 2022

Do we really need to make another one where the answer will be the same? You'd probably do the usual song and dance of "everyone hates the Hab's its not fair!" afterwards.

More floundering by a Devils fan

Suzuki is simply a better hockey player than Hischier, a better two way player that make more with less than Hischier

Deal with it

nick-suzuki-2024-45.jpg

Reactions: viceroy

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
More floundering by a Devils fan

Suzuki is simply a better hockey player than Hischier, a better two way player that make more with less than Hischier

Deal with it
So Caufield and Slafkovksy are worse then Palat, Meier, Mercer, and Bratt?

I'll listen to the people who voted overwhelming for Hischier over Suzuki instead of You

Better two way player?

FvKHZtAXoAADtt5

Suzuki.jpg

P.S you can make image's smaller in case you didn't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad