GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He’s actually all of these things.

Yeah, no he's not.

There is such a thing as watching a prospect in the WHL and not being able to project apparently.

He will be a very good player, but he's not one of these roles in the NHL.

He's not going to be a 2 way center, unless you think Suzuki is a 2 way center like Danault.
He's not going to be a guy who wins in the corners, unless you think your frame of reference for that is very low.
He's not going to be an elite playmaker like Panarin, he's never showed this, at any level.

He's a brainy Steve Yzerman type of player. Before someone says "YOU DON"T WANT STEVE YZERMAN? LOL" - of course, I want Steve Yzerman, but that's not the choice we have in front of us. He's a potential Steve Yzerman. If it was this simple...

If you had the choice for the Habs today, would you pick a future Jarome Iginla or a future Steve Yzerman with the rest of the players we have today? Assuming you believe Dach will turn it around. To me the choice is easy. We need a winger like Jarome more than a center like Yzerman, right now by a mile, it puts in contention much faster with our mix of players.

That's the scary part with a potential Sennecke pick. Hard to learn from a mistake you didn't make.

Sennecke and KK have not much in common outside of the growth spurt.

KK isn't a good stick handler, Sennecke is.
KK doesn't really have a shot, Sennecke has a good shot.
etc. etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is the Sennecke fad over yet?

No, and it's not a fad. I watched him a lot in his D -1 year & he was impressive even then. I predicted last summer he had the potential to climb into top 10 for this draft.

His stickhandling is amazing, he's strong in the corners, he's an inside player and he's grown, like 4 inches in the last 2 years.

He's growing & his game is growing along with him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No, and it's not a fad. I watched him a lot in his D -1 year & he was impressive even then. I predicted last summer he had the potential to climb into top 10 for this draft.

His stickhandling is amazing, he's strong in the corners, he's an inside player and he's grown, like 4 inches in the last 2 years.

Sennecke is not participating in the tests on account of being injured so what’s the only thing that can affect him coming out of the Combine — how well he interviews? He must have that locked down.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Sennecke is not participating in the tests on account of being injured so what’s the only thing that can affect him coming out of the Combine — how well he interviews? He must have that locked down.

I mean if he has a bad interview then I guess that could affect him. The combine participation isn't that big of a deal for the top end prospects. Sam Bennett not being able to do a pull-up at his draft combine was turned into a big deal/joke, and he still went 4th overall to Calgary.

Fantilli didn't participate last year, and Russians don't participate at all yet 2 Russians were drafted in top 7 in 2023. Demidov is also likely going top 5 this year and he isn't participating either.

It's an interesting process to get a final look at the top prospects, but it's more impactful for those picked after top 15.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, no he's not.

There is such a thing as watching a prospect in the WHL and not being able to project apparently.

He's not going to be a 2 way center, unless you think Suzuki is a 2 way center like Danault.
He's not going to be a guy who wins in the corners, unless you think your frame of reference for that is very low.
He's not going to be an elite playmaker like Panarin, he's never showed this, at any level.

He's a brainy Steve Yzerman type of player. Before someone says "YOU DON"T WANT STEVE YZERMAN? LOL" - of course, I want Steve Yzerman, but that's not the choice we have in front of us. He's a potential Steve Yzerman. If it was this simple...

If you had the choice for the Habs today, would you pick a future Jarome Iginla or a future Steve Yzerman with the rest of the players we have today? Assuming you believe Dach will turn it around. To me the choice is easy. We need a winger like Jarome more than a center like Yzerman, right now by a mile, it puts in contention much faster with our mix of players.

etc. etc.

I don't think we should be drafting Jarome or Stevie. They're both way too old.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Comparing Sennecke to Kotkaniemi is so lazy and just outs anyone as not having watched or even attempted to get to know what Sennecke is and could be.

Here's some other "late risers" or "reaches" - Blake Wheeler, Moritz Seider, Juraj Slafkovsky, Ryan Johansen, and Mark Scheifele.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
NHL draft class podcast had an interview with Lindstrom, among others (Buium, Eiserman)
To add to this and possibly spoil it, Lindstrom is raised by a single mom, who's going to school to be a nurse and raising his 3 younger sisters, so hard work, dedication, sacrifice is something he gets to see everyday.

He compared himself to Roope Hintz.

Talks about using his speed and size as an advantage

He wants to be a two-way centre and sees himself as a centre.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
To add to this and possibly spoil it, Lindstrom is raised by a single mom, who's going to school to be a nurse and raising his 3 younger sisters, so hard work, dedication, sacrifice is something he gets to see everyday.

He compared himself to Roope Hintz.

Talks about using his speed and size as an advantage

He wants to be a two-way centre and sees himself as a centre.

That’s a good back ground and attitude that will work in MTL. Good kid.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
jesus-christ-the-sopranos.gif

giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Good top 6 forward IMO. Don't think he reaches top line level. He's on a team with 3 NHL drafted centers and I'm assuming he was playing with Ritchie? 80 pts in 50 games.

Playoff numbers are impressive. I like Sennecke but not at 5.

I said the same last year when Michy was available

I won't forget. I was playing pool that night and the volume was turned off (music playing but TV on). I was like, WTF is going on when I seen Price act strange. I wanted Michkov too.

I'd like to see Price try to pronounce Sennecke's name. :laugh:

NK0r5nt.jpg

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, no he's not.

Yeah, no he's not.

etc. etc.
terrible analogy aside. There is no circumstance where a team takes Jerome ahead of Stevie in their primes. I understand the point you’re trying to make, but I feel you missed the mark. I also feel like you’re making the same mistakes scouts make that allow your Keller’s and Caufield’s to slide, except Catton isn’t even what I’d consider small. He drives the play, has tremendous skill and upside, despite what said, plays a well rounded game as well, but he’s a pass because he misses the height requirements by an inch or two.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
terrible analogy aside. There is no circumstance where a team takes Jerome ahead of Stevie in their primes. I understand the point you’re trying to make, but I feel you missed the mark. I also feel like you’re making the same mistakes scouts make that allow your Keller’s and Caufield’s to slide, except Catton isn’t even what I’d consider small. He drives the play, has tremendous skill and upside, despite what said, plays a well rounded game as well, but he’s a pass because he misses the height requirements by an inch or two.
SOLR has made a succession of irrational (or unjustifiable) arguments against only one specific prospect. Prospect fixation happens to us all. Catton is considered a top-tier playmaking talent and quick by the general scouting consensus... he's also not even short... if he adds up to 10lbs he's got the same frame as Kucherov. He's light but the combine isn't completed yet, maybe he's gained 5kg of weight.

SOLR calls him a bad playmaker and slow... but also compares him to Yzerman (as if anybody would take a potential Iginla over a potential Yzerman!)... it's simply not accurate or worth bickering over. SOLR simply doesn't like Catton.... It's totally fair to prefer any other prospect but trashing Catton exclusively is simply not productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad