GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If you want a homerun pick go Eiserman. If he hits you get a 55-60 goal guy.

Sennecke is 100% drafting for needs because the team don't want a defenseman or another small guy.
55-60 goals eh?

I suppose Sennecke would be drafting for needs because he's top 2-3 in this draft with the puck. Amazing puck skills and we certainly need that. As a bonus he was great down the stretch and one of the best players in the OHL playoffs.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If you want a homerun pick go Eiserman. If he hits you get a 55-60 goal guy.

Sennecke is 100% drafting for needs because the team don't want a defenseman or another small guy.
That is preference at this point.

If Eiserman is a 55-60 goal guy, then Sennecke is a PPG winger with size who get you out of your seat.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
55-60 goals eh?

I suppose Sennecke would be drafting for needs because he's top 2-3 in this draft with the puck. Amazing puck skills and we certainly need that. As a bonus he was great down the stretch and one of the best players in the OHL playoffs.
That's exactly the kind of post I was refering to earlier. If you keep hammering that stuff and make it sound like it's a fact people will eventually believe it and all of a sudden it's ok to spend your #5 pick on a guy ranked #15.

Not that it matters in the end though. Have a nice day.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Very fair. But it's HF boards and there will be hot takes. We are all just trying to do our best to play scout want a bees
Of course...just can't take that self-nominated title too seriously when things don't go the way you want.

As someone who doesn't track prospects all season, I love coming on here and reading a lot of folks takes here on prospects, it gives me more context and information. But when our opinions as pseudo-scouts starts to be gospel, that's a whole other thing.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Uh, no?

They're not even close to being similar players. Lekkerimaki pretty much stayed in a general mid-1st pick range throughout his draft year. The only talk around Lekkerimaki would have been for the Mesar pick, and that one was far too late (#26).

Lekkerimaki was a completely undraftable player for us. He wasn’t in the talk at all for 1st overall (Wright, Slaf, Cooley & Nemec were) and he was going to be drafted well before the 26th pick.

1717768279747.png

It reminds me of the Lekkerimaki story mainly cause there's was a whole lot of hype based on a story about Habs taking him out to dinner but he was not really an option as 1st overall, he was just not the best player available but some put him there none the less because of the noises. Then came the rumors about the Habs calling every teams in the top 10 to get another pick to draft him.....Habs ended up with the 13th with Lekkerimaki available and they traded it for Dach.

I think Sennecke is the same thing. Whole lot of noises based on a story/rumor about Habs liking him and some wants to push him a little bit higher than he should be. Most has him top 10-15. Sure if we look at forward only maybe, but as BPA....there will just be better option at 5.

He was 14th on the last McKenzie report from scouts......

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm honestly baffled that Sennecke somehow became an acceptable top 5 pick in the last 2 weeks because some people on this board kept hammering his name and a cuckoo like McGagg loves him.

All the serious rankings right now have him outside of the top 10, with the majority having him at #14 or #15.

He's literally closer to a #20 pick than a #5 pick.

Yet, here we are...

Tcchhhhht. The great sages will say you should be ok with this pick and that if you have a problem with it you should have a problem picking Demidov too. :laugh:

Reactions: Balthazar

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
View attachment 880230

It reminds me of the Lekkerimaki story mainly cause there's was a whole lot of hype based on a story about Habs taking him out to dinner but he was not really an option as 1st overall, he was just not the best player available but some put him there none the less because of the noises. Then came the rumors about the Habs calling every teams in the top 10 to get another pick to draft him.....Habs ended up with the 13th with Lekkerimaki available and they traded it for Dach.

I think Sennecke is the same thing. Whole lot of noises based on a story/rumor about Habs liking him and some wants to push him a little bit higher than he should be. Most has him top 10-15. Sure if we look at forward only maybe, but as BPA....there will just be better option at 5.

He was 14th on the last McKenzie report from scouts......
I understood what you meant, you clearly said talk, not the player. Everyone is getting weird in here is all.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
what if he goes 50 goals and 0 assists, that would be the most ridiculous thing ever
Well, if you are playing on the top 6 and get PP time, this is almost impossible. your bound to benefit from a 2nd assist at some point.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Chicago's going to be a playoff team and cup contender within two years at this rate.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm honestly baffled that Sennecke somehow became an acceptable top 5 pick in the last 2 weeks because some people on this board kept hammering his name and a cuckoo like McGagg loves him.

All the serious rankings right now have him outside of the top 10, with the majority having him at #14 or #15.

He's literally closer to a #20 pick than a #5 pick.

Yet, here we are...

Blake Wheeler was also ranked 17th by Central Scouting (NA skaters) before the 2004 NHL Draft and was picked 5th overall.....He has almost 1000 points in his career and is 3rd in scoring for that draft only behind Ovechkin and Malkin.

I'm not saying that this will be the case with Sennecke, but rankings are just rankings and if you like a player and his tools and you think he will be the best players eventually (with what's available), you just go for it.

Having said all that, I still prefer Lindstrom and Demidov.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'm not making an argument for not drafting Catton at all. In fact, I'd make a trade to get the 6th overall and draft Catton....I'm making an argument only, and only, for saying he's not the role player we need with the picks we have. If you have 6th overall, replacing Dach is the role most important to target. Of course if by any luck we can get Demidov and Iginla with 5 and 6, those 2 roles are more important than trying to replace Dach.

I want to make a play for Boisvert as he could be another option to potentially replace Dach.
Replacing Dach is only in the context of Dach injury history and how his stock could go to 0. Love Dach when he plays...
Whoever they pick should be the top player on that second line, if they aren’t on the 1st line. If he’s a center - lindstom or catton - then Dach moves to wing. Dach becomes the “role player”.

The Habs were going to evaluate Dach at center last season, and they weren’t able to. He’s still a question mark there, and was before the injury.

Dach’s been in the league 5 seasons and hasn’t put up 40 points yet.

Looking back at Dach, the prospect, and comparing draft seasons:
Dach: 62 GP, 73 PTS
Catton: 68 GP, 116 PTS
(If you recall, the knock on Dach was that he lacked explosiveness and consistency)

+ catton’s draft season:
- led hlinka in scoring
- 4th in WHL in scoring
- WHL 1st team all star
- CHL 2nd team all star
(Dach wasn’t even WHL eastern conf 2nd team all star)

Iginla, Lindstrom … both better prospects as well.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Whoever they pick should be the top player on that second line, if they aren’t on the 1st line. If he’s a center - lindstom or catton - then Dach moves to wing. Dach becomes the “role player”.

The Habs were going to evaluate Dach at center last season, and they weren’t able to. He’s still a question mark there, and was before the injury.

Dach’s been in the league 5 seasons and hasn’t put up 40 points yet.

Looking back at Dach, the prospect, and comparing draft seasons:
Dach: 62 GP, 73 PTS
Catton: 68 GP, 116 PTS
(If you recall, the knock on Dach was that he lacked explosiveness and consistency)

+ catton’s draft season:
- led hlinka in scoring
- 4th in WHL in scoring
- WHL 1st team all star
- CHL 2nd team all star

Iginla, Lindstrom … both better prospects as well.
What Catton's accomplished this year is extremely interesting. I wish I had the time to dissect his performances but from the highlights and reports I've seen I can only feel that the size queens will tank yet another top-tier prospect's projection just like they did to Clayton Keller before him.

Unless the 5'10 player's a living phenom like Bedard, they're immediately going uphill both ways in the eyes of scouts. It's really ridiculous how much prospect-value is left on the board because of dinosaur scouts and scouting paradigms. Swing for the most talented player siempre!

(in this case I'd take Dickinson, Catton, Demidov in that order, I think)

Yeah they only need to find

1LW
1RW
2C
2LW
2RW
1D
3D
4D
1G

Almost there!
I guess having their pick of top-tier dman prospect is just whatever. They're probably wishing they kept Dach I bet.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yeah they only need to find

1LW
1RW
2C
2LW
2RW
1D
3D
4D
1G

Almost there!

To be fair, I think they have a few of these pieces.

Nazar (2nd/1st line winger)
Rinzel (3-4th D)
Reichel (2nd line)
Moore (2nd/1st line winger)
Gajan

2C (top pick next year)
top line winger (?)
1D (top pick this year)) <== this year's attempt.
3D (all others pick this year)
1G (that's more development than picks)

Your point remains, this will take more than 2 years, because once you think you have it, 30% will fail.

Reactions: Gustave

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
To be fair, I think they have a few of these pieces.

Nazar (2nd/1st line winger)
Rinzel (3-4th D)
Reichel (2nd line)
Moore (2nd/1st line winger)
Gajan

2C (top pick next year)
1D (top pick this year)) <== this year's attempt.
3D (all others pick this year)
1G (that's more development than picks)

Your point remains, this will take more than 2 years, because once you think you have it, 30% will fail.
Assuming they all hit. Like you said, it’ll take more than 2 years and they need more pieces because that is a really small Top 6. I don’t think Nazar, Moore are 1st line material either, not on a contender.

Reactions: SOLR and nicehiss

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Chicago's going to be a playoff team and cup contender within two years at this rate.
If you could break down why then perhaps I may give your post some credibility. They have alot of work to do imo.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Assuming they all hit. Like you said, it’ll take more than 2 years and they need more pieces because that is a really small Top 6. I don’t think Nazar, Moore are 1st line material either, not on a contender.

Bit early to say that IMO (given they will play with Bedard). But yeah, you want at least another big time player, the 2C spot is the most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad