GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Really? I watched him over 20 games this year and I'm not aligned. Chicago was just a terrible team last year, he's obviously not ready to carry a team on his back and that's what all remaining NHL players on this team were forced to do.
From going from 15 minutes a game to 8-10 and down the lineup every other month was not optimal.

Nothing is done but he had a hell of a weak season.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
For comparable Clayton Keller 5'10" 164 at his NHL combine. Already bigger.

Yeah, but in terms of playing style. I think those two are like mirror images. It's a known fact that I hate small players, but Keller is the only exception. Caufield on a good day.

Reactions: Andrei79

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
I would condider trading Caufield (and I love Caufield) if we can get Catton + a bit more.
Was debating with a buddy the other day if it would be advantageous to go vice versa and trade him to the ducks to play with Zegras (with a +) for the 3rd pick.

Don't know if I'd pull the trigger as he's huge in the room but definitely would debate it if I was Habs management.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Carter had the 9th most goals in the last 20 years, it's not only a career year. He was also 6th in goals from 06 to 12, which coincides with 03 drafts prime.

Player style is fine, but player style also coincides with results, which can't be ignored. You can't say "he's like Gretzky" and then expect a 40 points guys. The comparison doesn't hold then.

Of course, but a 20% swing at the edge of the projection is still a fair assessment for two players in the same style (a player with 20% less results could occupy the same role as Carter on a good NHL team and still be considered a comparable). When you use the career year in an argument, you stretch the edge (I think you know that).

From going from 15 minutes a game to 8-10 and down the lineup every other month was not optimal.

Sure, we've seen this play out before, he was 21 this year - expecting things to balance out in the next few years as Bedard's development/Nazar/Moore/2024 1st/2025 1st bring depth to this lineup.

Reactions: Gustave

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yeah, but in terms of playing style. I think those two are like mirror images. It's a known fact that I hate small players, but Keller is the only exception. Caufield on a good day.
Keller is one of my favourite players in the NHL ever since I fell for him pre-draft. I see a lot of him in Catton. He’s precisely the sort of player the Habs haven’t had in decades.

So naturally they’re gonna draft the other guy who can’t pass and makes bad decisions.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You picked what???? ND! You water mammal lovin' clown! :laugh:

"I'm a dolphin"

Habs psychologist:

200.gif

the-office-steve-carell.gif

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

I believe he wanted to be a centre. Now once they drafted Bedard he should have immediately given up on that and have done his best to get on Bedard's line. There were no other good players on the team so HIS linemates would be crap on a 2nd line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
There was plenty of buzz about him being the pick at this time last year.
There is zero buzz about Catton.

I get having an opinion... I don't get making things up that are easily discredited :dunno:

Some quotes from NHL execs in the Elite Prospects guide:

“Dynamic, dynamic skater. Elite quickness. Elite speed. He can carry, create, and drive play. He’s a dynamic shooter and goalscorer. There are two kids this year, when I talk to other scouts, you guys have just been watching this kid too long. He’s a special player. He was the best player at the Hlinka. He shredded the WHL on a weaker team. Doesn’t seem like a lot of NHL people want to give him credit for that. Pretty safe that he will be a second line centre, power play guy in the NHL. I feel he’s been over-scouted. We should be talking about him, top five, top ten. Now I see some lists where he’s 16. I just think that’s crazy.” – NHL scout, June 2024

“Every night, every coach was game planning to stop him specifically, and he still scored over 50 goals and almost 120 points while killing penalties and playing a premium position. Don’t overthink this one, he’s a top prospect.” – NHL scout, May 2024

“He’s the complete package in a sub-six-foot body. Excelled on a weak Spokane team and oozes character.” – Western Conference Scout, May 2024

“He’s dynamic off the rush. Wicked shot. Isn’t afraid to charge into hard areas to make plays. Just needs to add weight and battle more.” – Western Conference Executive, May 2024

“He’s not a centre, but he’s skilled enough that it doesn’t matter. Top-10.” – Western Conference Scout, May 2024

You stand corrected.

To be clear, I won't be angry if we don't pick him. I just think he's the most likely pick given our management, our pipeline & his qualities.

There's easily 5-6 prospects I'd be happy to see picked at 5OA, and arguably 10+ realistic possibilities given how wide open this draft class is.

Catton is my, slight, preference at this stage and the best fit, imo, to what KH & co. are trying to build (assuming Macklin & Demidov are off the table at 5th).

Bookmark this and I’ll send you $100 if we pick him.
I won’t even ask for anything if I’m right cause I’d feel bad.

Great. I'll take your money, and donate to a reading charity... :naughty:

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Catton is my, slight, preference at this stage and the best fit, imo, to what KH & co. are trying to build (assuming Macklin & Demidov are off the table at 5th).

Catton doesn't have a booming shot, but a nice release. Does montreal want a player that you dish the puck to on the PP for the one-timer, or another setup guy which I think Catton is. I guess it depends how the scouts see his game transitioning. On a bigger team Catton would probably be a solid choice, he can dish the puck, one of the better passers without question. But in Montreal, we could use a little more of a guy who can drive the play perhaps? Going to be interesting to see what the scouts think

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I get having an opinion... I don't get making things up that are easily discredited :dunno:

You stand corrected.

To be clear, I won't be angry if we don't pick him. I just think he's the most likely pick given our management, our pipeline & his qualities.

There's easily 5-6 prospects I'd be happy to see picked at 5OA, and arguably 10+ realistic possibilities given how wide open this draft class is.

Great. I'll take your money, and donate to a reading charity... :naughty:
What exactly are you showing me with this video and I hope it’s not The Hockey News ranking (I also said 99% cause I know some non credible places like that may have him)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Catton doesn't have a booming shot, but a nice release. Does montreal want a player that you dish the puck to on the PP for the one-timer, or another setup guy which I think Catton is.

I doubt they'd draft based on that degree of specific skill targetting.

By the time whomever they draft is hitting the start of their prime (4+ years), the roster will likely look significantly different.

If they continue their approach, they are going to weigh heavily the intangible side of attitude & personality (fit for market and high coachibility) + versatility, skating & end-to-end ice-tilting impact.

Catton strikes me as checking those boxes as well as anyone in the top 10.

Our 2nd 1st Rd pick, or if we move up, is where I'd see them take more of a reach on a guy with 1-2 specific high end ceiling skill sets but weaker overall floor.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What exactly are you showing me with this video and I hope it’s not The Hockey News ranking (I also said 99% cause I know some non credible places like that may have him)
The quotes from several NHL scouts don't qualify as enough "buzz" to you?

Curious to what kind of "buzz" you are otherwise referring to :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad