GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This Cayden Lindstrom fella has physical beast written all over him. How's his playmaking? If goal scoring is his thing, I have to ask who are his closest archetypes or comparables in the NHL?

Roope Hintz and Chris Kreider are two comparables that have been mentioned

Reactions: Troyp

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Is this dinner thing relatively new ?

Habs also mentioned they went to dinner with other prospects because they wanted to get more of an insight into them.

I'm also super glad I'm not younger and actually good at hockey. I'd go to a dinner with a team, be super nervous. I'd tuck the table cloth into my pants, spill my water, accidentally stab myself with my fork and as I excuse myself to the washroom, pull all the contents of the table onto the floor, cry and then run into a pregnant lady as I tried to leave.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Is this dinner thing relatively new ?

Habs also mentioned they went to dinner with other prospects because they wanted to get more of an insight into them.

I'm also super glad I'm not younger and actually good at hockey. I'd go to a dinner with a team, be super nervous. I'd tuck the table cloth into my pants, spill my water, accidentally stab myself with my fork and as I excuse myself to the washroom, pull all the contents of the table onto the floor, cry and then run into a pregnant lady as I tried to leave.
I’d say Gorton would keep the mood relaxed, looks like a ‘pull my finger’ kinda guy

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I’d say Gorton would keep the mood relaxed, looks like a ‘pull my finger’ kinda guy
He'd need to rip a tactical nuke farther to disrupt from that.
Basha. Yes! Love that kid.
I think this would indicate the Habs might want to keep the Jets pick, so if there is a trade for it, it's more likely close to, or at the pick rather than before, like Newhook.

I'm assuming they see how piss poor the forward prospect pool is and likely want that first to also add to it.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Roope Hintz and Chris Kreider are two comparables that have been mentioned
Roope Hintz is a phenomenal goal scorer, a real ox. I don't love his all around game though. Kreider is better but he took a long time to figure out how to make the better reads and play with his teammates.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Basha is real interesting with the late first, he's a high upside offensive pick at that spot. Boisvert too, in a different, more rugged style. I'm real big on Luchanko, if by some miracle he makes it all the way to #26. We're getting a legit prospect, that's for sure.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Basha is real interesting with the late first, he's a high upside offensive pick at that spot. Boisvert too, in a different, more rugged style. I'm real big on Luchanko, if by some miracle he makes it all the way to #26. We're getting a legit prospect, that's for sure.
Cole Beaudoin seems/sounds like a nice option there, too. Of players who could go 15-35 there's a lot to like, so if the Habs keep said pick they're getting a solid prospect to add to their pool.

Reactions: Nevins and jaffy27

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Cole Beaudoin seems/sounds like a nice option there, too. Of players who could go 15-35 there's a lot to like, so if the Habs keep said pick they're getting a solid prospect to add to their pool.

If we still had Bergevin/Timmins, I would bet that Beaudoin would be their pick at 26 if available. They love those gym rats.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Pouliot was a massive case of a spectator, that's what I meant. He could turn it on like no other and most often he just wouldn't, probably not for laziness but being dumb. I figure it's a 50/50 split on that for Sennecke, or he's just not use to his size. (Even so, he was average height before, so this excuse isn't good.)

Sennecke will never be a top 5 goalscorer in the league like Carter was.

Carter had a pretty short stint at that level; I'm talking about the player's style and the input to be expected from him on average.

Can we stop picking superlative examples?

"Oh, he's comparing him to Carter. Let me pick the career year that will be most effective in this argument."

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Would Carolina Hurricanes Eric Staal be a good comparable for Lindstrom?
Maybe as a prospect Staal was similar but in the NHL he dished the puck and played a defensive, heavy-lifting game on an often bad team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just for the fun of it;

1- Mike Matheson + 1st Cal 2025
Vs
6th Utah or 7th Ottawa or 8th Sea or 9th Cal

2- Arber xhakaj + 26th Overall

Vs

11th overall Buffalo

So we would have 3 picks in the top 11.

We draft 2 of Lindstrom, Demidov, Catton, Igy , Sennecke

And one of Buium, Dickinson, Lev
Why do Habs fans value Matheson so lightly?

Do you know how valuable a 62pt Dman who plays 25+ mins a game, great skater and signed at a very affordable 4.8M for the next 2 years, is worth?

Certainly more than for coinflip draft pick.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
People will say "there is no universal BPA" and "No one knows what the Habs draft list looks like" - but it would seem quite coincidental if we draft a player at our weakest organizational position two years straight at 5 overall.

Isn't it their job to distinguish traits and characteristics among that group of players to have a better than random chance of picking the best one?

If someone wants to argue that we should consider positional need over looking at the player in isolation, I can understand that - but the argument that it's all a crapshoot in this range of players so might as well draft for position, I don't.
There will be an agreed bpa five years from now. If it’s not the habs pick they may be accused of reaching. If they reach and it works out people will admire the scouting.

There is enough randomness that a miss is not necessarily a bad pick.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Look at Jeff Carter's whole career.
6 season of 20 goals+
3 season with 30 goals+
1 season with 40 goals+

400 goal career total

Around there.
400 goals and... 300 assists... in 1100 games? 1000? 700? 1400 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad