**NHL 16 Thread** Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Waste of money. Everybody online does the same thing, buttonmash poke check and then offensively, skate around the offensive zone holding the puck wide so it's impossible to get the puck unless you become really aggressive defensively. When you become aggressive, they'll manage to slip around then force the cross-crease every time.

NHL in general isn't worth playing anymore.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
Initially, I couldn't stand the online play. I've even posted in this thread early on complaining about how annoying some of the stuff was. But after putting in the effort to change my play style and adapt to a new game, I'm having a lot more fun with HUT and versus. I feel like a lot of people aren't giving this game a fair shake simply because they aren't used to how it plays or because they simply aren't good at it.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Initially, I couldn't stand the online play. I've even posted in this thread early on complaining about how annoying some of the stuff was. But after putting in the effort to change my play style and adapt to a new game, I'm having a lot more fun with HUT and versus. I feel like a lot of people aren't giving this game a fair shake simply because they aren't used to how it plays or because they simply aren't good at it.
Thiiiissss x 1000000. The game is hard but fun.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I win the majority of my games and still do not enjoy the game. What I do enjoy is being able to move the puck out of my own zone without being bum rushed.

I didn't touch anything. Any way to fix it?
I'm not sure. Might have to start over cause I don't think you can switch OT settings and stuff after starting can you?

Am I right in believing that they've kept the same soundtrack as NHL15?

If so, that's embarrassing.
Why is there no menu music? What's the point of this generic tune playing in the background you barely notice?

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I played it a lot and enjoyed it a lot more than I'm currently enjoying NHL 16. It was still flawed, but I feel like the game has taken a step back.
I disagree personally, but everyone has their preferences.

I just wish more people would give the game more of a chance before coming on here and complaining about it. Sure, it's different, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I disagree personally, but everyone has their preferences.

I just wish more people would give the game more of a chance before coming on here and complaining about it. Sure, it's different, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
I said the same thing when I played on 360 last year and everyone *****ed about the new-gen game. But I see where people are coming from now. To me, it's different and bad. It needs serious work. This should not be the best that EA has to offer.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
What am I doing wrong in the sense that I keep separating the puck from the player but they either pick it right back up or it goes right to a teammate?

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
What am I doing wrong in the sense that I keep separating the puck from the player but they either pick it right back up or it goes right to a teammate?
Feels like when I do it, I can't seem to get the puck, like you. But when the puck gets knocked off from me, I never get it back.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Im getting really, really, REALLY sick of the computer team checks and poke checks being so over powered. They tap me, and my guy goes down like hes been shot. They never miss a poke check. FFS!!!

I was having fun playing the lower divisions offline in HUT. Now it is almost unbearable.

Been like that for years.

I'll be Lucic and Gerbe will tap me, not only do I lose the puck but I do some comedic falling dace. BEST part is I will switch to Chara and try to revenge check Gerbeg only to not perform the check, miss hitting him or hit him but he shrugs it off.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Waste of money. Everybody online does the same thing, buttonmash poke check and then offensively, skate around the offensive zone holding the puck wide so it's impossible to get the puck unless you become really aggressive defensively. When you become aggressive, they'll manage to slip around then force the cross-crease every time.

NHL in general isn't worth playing anymore.

Thiiiissss x 1000000. The game is hard but fun.

Wait, you mean like a majority of NHL defenses which are focused on keeping the offense to the outside? This sounds realistic as opposed to ridiculous.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Does anyone else think there are too many goals? My only gripe. I've done 2 CHL and 2 AHL games.

10-6
9-6
7-6
9-5

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I'm really liking the game. I enjoy it being tougher than previous installments even if I lose my **** a couple of times per game due to the oppo AI making my teammates look like immovable and brain dead objects.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Does anyone else think there are too many goals? My only gripe. I've done 2 CHL and 2 AHL games.

10-6
9-6
7-6
9-5

Is this Be a Pro? I find that if I play an entire match the games are really high scoring. Most of the time I intervene at the start of the 2nd or 3rd period which helps a little bit (a lot if you start in the 3rd)

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I fell like ea does not actually look into AHL and CHL rosters till the start of the NHL season, I'm fine with making Eichel and Hanifin but making AHL and CHL prospects is a lot of work.

I would like to see the old dangles back in the game all they are now is skating dekes.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Is this Be a Pro? I find that if I play an entire match the games are really high scoring. Most of the time I intervene at the start of the 2nd or 3rd period which helps a little bit (a lot if you start in the 3rd)

No, normal mode.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I completely gave up on the game the day it came out. Partially because I really didn't like how it felt, partially because I was getting dropped or lagged out of every game I tried to play.

Came back probably a week and a half later, whatever server/network issues were up seem to be gone. So that's a plus.

I tried to give it a very fair shake this time, and while I still really don't like how it feels compared to NHL 14... I find myself appreciating it a bit more. Did a few drop-in games, playing LD and being as completely defensive minded as possible, and after a game or two I was in a really nice groove. Playing the puck, breaking up the odd breakaway, dishing up some really nice, patient breakout passes and even jumping into the play as I got more comfortable. Helps the randoms I played with were worth their salt.

Went back to Online Versus with that same mentality and shockingly things started going my way. Won a few games quite handily. The game rewards patience and smart defensive play... but severely, SEVERELY punishes you if you're the type to make awkward passes through traffic or do anything that takes you out of position for too long. That's my take on it so far.

Though, since you can't pass it between players legs anymore, the strategy for the dregs of Online Versus seems to be "pick the highest rated team, and do the best you can to surround the guy with the puck with as many players as possible". Which usually leads to the puck bouncing around all of the players and lord knows where it goes from there. You just have to hope the puck ends up with your guy, which isn't as likely since as I mentioned the guy picked the highest rated team hoping that he'd have as much of an advantage as possible without having to actually play well... and that the cluster**** isn't right in front of your net.

I've also noticed an odd strategy of slowing down on the rush and zig zagging as a way of goading you to try and body check them. Since body checking is very spotty in when it wants to work, most of the time when you try to get close to them you'll just bounce off and they skate on past you. Same general issue with getting close enough to stick lift. Your only option being to play the puck and poke check, which seems to require pinpoint precision in this game. I'll fall into the trap of leaving too much distance between me and the other player because again... my only option is to poke check and you never know when the game might randomly consider it a trip... so you need to keep your stick as far from their feet as possible. You only have a few short seconds to figure all this out before they zig zagged their way into a nice scoring spot and pop in a free wrister because my goalie is a *******. XD

tl;dr - The people online are out to do nothing more than exploit the games weaknesses for a few cheap wins. But what else is new.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed in this game or in myself for getting it on launch day again

Even with the problems I have with the new NBA2K, it is by far the superior game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad