HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There aren't many *known players available that id be interested in acquiring this year, but I would be down for Laine. Definitely moreso than Zegras and Necas.

2 years is perfect length too. And wouldn't cost much I don't think. Gives us enough time to see if he can bounce back and worst case if he doesn't, he's gone.
If Lundell is somehow available for cap reasons (unlikely) i'd be very interested. But that wont happen Florida will let guys walk and use Lundell as a cheaper replacement (a good GM will do that anyway). But if Florida's GM does the mistake of wanting to keep the team intact and sign all UFAs that could become an option.

Reactions: HabzSauce

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Praying we avoid Laine, he absolutely could not handle playing in Montreal and is not the kind of guy you want around a young team imo

We managed to escape PLD, let’s see if we can be as lucky this time
PLD would have been here longterm and we would have had to give up nice assets. Laine with his cap hit makes him a cap dump, and he's got 2 years left. If we get him, he either performs well enough to warrant an extension, or we retain his contract further and flip him later on.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Why bother trading Dvorak for a 3rd right now? May as well keep him around as a 3C and see if he's worth more at the deadline as a 3rd would basically be his floor. As much as we don't like him around here he's still a competent NHL 3rd line C and that should be worth more than a future 3rd.
That was my initial instinct as well, but I guess it depends on how aggressive the management is planning to be in order to push the team forward vs maximizing the value of assets like Dvorak.

Apparently, Pageau is available and I think he'd be a very good option as our 3C for the next two seasons. If that means giving away Dvorak for a mid round pick, I don't think that's so big of a problem.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Calling it now.

5OA for Jordan Kyrou
I do think Kyrou gets traded somewhere between now and draft day, maybe even to us as both teams scouted each other pretty heavily even past the trade deadline last year. He is not getting traded for the 5th OV though.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Praying we avoid Laine, he absolutely could not handle playing in Montreal and is not the kind of guy you want around a young team imo

I think this assumption is way over blown. Even the lowest rated Habs players are treated well by the fans. As long as he doesn't sign up here at HFB, he should be fine ;)

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
That was my initial instinct as well, but I guess it depends on how aggressive the management is planning to be in order to push the team forward vs maximizing the value of assets like Dvorak.

Apparently, Pageau is available and I think he'd be a very good option as our 3C for the next two seasons. If that means giving away Dvorak for a mid round pick, I don't think that's so big of a problem.
Yeah I'd be fine to trade him for a 3rd if it was part of a series of moves and/or if we get Pageau cheap/with a sweetener or something, just don't feel like there's any point in dumping him in the summer for its own sake.

Reactions: Archijerej

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Could Kraken first pick 2024 #8 be available ?

Matheson could become their first LD for the next 5 years
Justin Barron play top4 next year
+ #26 to get a first pick in 2024 still

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Ok hear me out.

Trade 1:
Habs: Laine Columbus: Habs 26th, Harris, and a paper clip

Trade 2
Habs: Zegras, Anaheim: Laine and struble

Trade 3:
Habs: Necas, Carolina: Zegras and hatchet (that we bury from KK$

Trade 4
Habs: 10 OA, New Jersey: Zegras

Trade 5:
Habs 7 OA, Ottawa: 10 OA, Colorado 2nd

Trade 5:
Habs: 2 OA, Chicago: 4 OA and 7OA

Trade 5:
Habs: Celebrini, San Jose: 2OA, lifetime supply of poutine

Trade 6:
Habs: original paper clip from trade 1, this years Stanley cup Florida: Celebrini, and all our frequent trader points

Last edited:

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Could Kraken first pick 2024 #8 be available ?

Matheson could become their first LD for the next 5 years
Justin Barron play top4 next year
+ #26 to get a first pick in 2024 still
Good value but Wouldn't do that from both sides. Matheson is great for us but shouldn't be viewed as a #1D on any team that has cup aspirations. Better to keep #8 if I were SEA.

For Habs, both Barron and Matheson will help us this year more than the #8 could. Matheson especially - I don't see him going anywhere until at least next summer. Too valuable still.

I think by next summer, Matheson value will be around the same if not better because of term, and Barron value can only rise too especially if he plays full time with the Habs. Gives us more options next year to make even better trade than #8.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I wonder if something like this could work with the Rangers...

To NYR
Dvorak, Kapanen

To Mtl
Kakko

- Rangers are in win now mode, as long as they view Dvorak as an upgrade to their C depth, his expiring cap hit works well for them and will be easier to navigate than trying to improve C depth via UFA (which will take term they likely don't want to add with several big RFA extensions needed in 2025)

- Kakko remains a young player with big upside... Higher ceiling than Kapanen imo & only 2yrs older. His cap situation is easily manageable for the Habs cap, whereas the Rangers may well view Kapanen's ELC as better for them /worth the risk of giving up on KK's potential.

With a full camp and the reinvigoration of a fresh start (on a team with a young, supportive & tight knit core, and a coach committed to the long term process), I could see him step in and earn a spot in our top 6... Allowing Slaf to slot back in with Dach/Newhook, a line that looked great in camp & game 1 last year.

CC - Suzuki - Kakko
Slaf - Dach - Newhook

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

To NYR
Dvorak, Kapanen

To Mtl
Kakko

- Rangers are in win now mode, as long as they view Dvorak as an upgrade to their C depth, his expiring cap hit works well for them and will be easier to navigate than trying to improve C depth via UFA (which will take term they likely don't want to add with several big RFA extensions needed in 2025)

- Kakko remains a young player with big upside... Higher ceiling than Kapanen imo & only 2yrs older. His cap situation is easily manageable for the Habs cap, whereas the Rangers may well view Kapanen's ELC as better for them /worth the risk of giving up on KK's potential.

With a full camp and the reinvigoration of a fresh start (on a team with a young, supportive & tight knit core, and a coach committed to the long term process), I could see him step in and earn a spot in our top 6... Allowing Slaf to slot back in with Dach/Newhook, a line that looked great in camp & game 1 last year.

CC - Suzuki - Kakko
Slaf - Dach - Newhook

Not a bad trade value wise for us, personally not high on Kakko though.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

To NYR
Dvorak, Kapanen

To Mtl
Kakko

CC - Suzuki - Kakko
Slaf - Dach - Newhook
Rangers want cap space, so it doesn't work for them.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If somehow Hughes can pull a rabbit out of his hat and bring two top 6 players at the draft we are making the playoff next season. Laine would not be that expensive and we have the assets to land Zegras.

Caufield-Suz-Slaf
Laine-Zegras-Dach
Roy-Newhook-Gallagher
Evans-Dvo-Anderson

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Mailloux

Thats leave us many pieces to complete the trades.
Win 1st pick-Calgary 1st pick-Our 2rd pick-Strubble-Harris-Our 1st next season top 5 protected
Yup...try for laine

Or thrives when he starts scoring 30 goals

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Rangers want cap space, so it doesn't work for them.
Do they?
9.2M in cap room with 2 unsigned RFA's dmen who both have 900k QOs.

I doubt either Lindgren or Schneider are getting big contracts at this stage... 4M, maybe 4.5M for both.

With Dvo's 2M over KK's hit, that still leaves them with 2.5-3M cushion for other roster adjustments.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Do they?
9.2M in cap room with 2 unsigned RFA's dmen who both have 900k QOs.

I doubt either Lindgren or Schneider are getting big contracts at this stage... 4M, maybe 4.5M for both.

With Dvo's 2M over KK's hit, that still leaves them with 2.5-3M cushion for other roster adjustments.
They can make a better add than Dvorak for that around 7 mill free they'd have without him.

If they want to dump Kakko they could probably get a team to pay a pick and/or a prospect for him and free up more to take a healthy run at a decent free agent.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Roslovic & Wennberg.

With Chytil one bump away from another long term absence (or career end), I'd imagine that adding a veteran C with ability to play pk, versatile enough to play up the lineup if needed and strong on face offs will be a priority for them.

Not many C's out there fit that profile and will be available with 1year contracts and/or at cap hits/acquisition cost that won't be considerable.

Even if they aren't ready/willing to part with Kakko, I bet they will kick tires with KH about Dvo.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They can make a better add than Dvorak for that around 7 mill free they'd have without him.
?
No, that 7M also needs to include those 2 RFA's (or other d replacements).

Of course there are better C's out there than Dvorak, but as I pointed out, Rangers are in tight next summer with Shesterkin needing a big raise and 6 RFAs needing raises, a few of them likely massive (Laf, Miller).

If they want to dump Kakko they could probably get a team to pay a pick and/or a prospect for him and free up more to take a healthy run at a decent free agent.
They could. But any decent UFA this summer will need term and will be getting massive premium with the cap increase.

Rangers won't be making any moves without considering their cap situation in '25 that is going to be a big challenge just to keep the quality roster players they already have

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
?
No, that 7M also needs to include those 2 RFA's (or other d replacements).

Of course there are better C's out there than Dvorak, but as I pointed out, Rangers are in tight next summer with Shesterkin needing a big raise and 6 RFAs needing raises, a few of them likely massive (Laf, Miller).

They could. But any decent UFA this summer will need term and will be getting massive premium with the cap increase.

Rangers won't be making any moves without considering their cap situation in '25 that is going to be a big challenge just to keep the quality roster players they already have
Seems like more reason to not bother taking on Dvorak. Yeah, he ends after this upcoming season, but they can use that space at the deadline to go after someone else.

Dvorak can't have value to any team that wants to compete.

Maybe if the Habs retain 50% a team might be interested, but even then. Dude has been often injured with the Habs and doesn't really produce while here aside from his first season because he's injured so much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad