Proposal: Holtz for Knight (NJD/FLA)

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Florida could use a young cheap player on elc and clear some cap if they want to try to resign their upcoming ufas and rfas

Spencer knight makes 4.5aav and seems the most logical choice to move to clear cap if
Florida wants to try to run it back next season with bob and stolarz.

I propose Holtz for Knight

If Florida knows they can’t keep both montour and Ekblad then maybe seigenthaler is more interesting to them?

If Florida wants to move knight to clear cap space, NJD would be interested. Knight is still a top goalie prospect with a lot to prove and he already makes the same money as oettinger. Holtz is still a top 6 scoring prospect who has a lot to prove still but he is far from a bust like some would say on this site because he’s included in every devils proposal. He has been slowly improving and getting stronger each season.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I think hanging on to Knight solves the goaltending question in Florida for the long term. If he’s back to playing, they can split the net and get him ready for full time starter role when the Bob contract expires.

Good goalies are few and far between. They have one that has shows glimpses of becoming that. Think they hold on to him and find other ways to clear cap.

Reactions: viper0220

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's arguable that Knight is still a top goaltending prospect. He's already 23 and had a .905 SV% in the AHL this season. He also carries a big cap hit for a player that at best is probably a backup next season. The value is probably there for this deal, but I don't know if NJ pulls the trigger and goes with an Allen/Knight combo next season.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I mean it was clear the Devils GM wasn't thrilled with Holtz play at this point

If they did decide to move him this would have some potential, but Devils would still need to find at least a vet 1A to pair with Knight since they can't depend on Knight at this point as anything other than a #2 looking to get his career on track

Not terrible idea though a change of scenery type deal

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
No reason for us to trade a talent young goaltender (with some issues, hope it sorts out), when his value is low.. rather keep him

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
No reason for us to trade a talent young goaltender (with some issues, hope it sorts out), when his value is low.. rather keep him

One reason could be he's paid like a low-end starter. Freeing up that cap space could go a long way in re-signing one of the many notable free agents Florida has this year.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
After posting with certain devils fans I've come to the conclusion this would be a brilliant move for them.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
Knight would be my favourite target for the Devils, take a shot at the future and have him platoon with Allen. Draft a hopefully impactful player (pick #10) on an ELC to come in 2026/27 and keep building. The best years are still ahead with this group, and I'm not enthusiastic with the veteran goalie market

Having said that, I dont see much reason for Florida to do this other than dumping Knight's cap hit. Holtz is the polar opposite of the type of player that Florida targets, I cant imagine theyre very interested in him

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I’d be on board for this but I don’t think Fitz would do this, if they miss the playoffs cause of questionable goaltending he gets fired. Its all about risk management and how much he’s willing to pay for it this offseason.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If I'm Florida, and I still believe in Knight, who I just spent 4 years developing, no chance am I trading him for a winger of all things.

Bob is great, but has already shown he needs rest and is only getting older. Spending $15m on goaltending isn't ideal, but a quality capable backup is gunna cost at least $1.5-2m anyway.. so there's not a big difference between that and Knight's $4.5m.

Other than spending a few extra million, Knight is still a great sucession plan for Florida. I believe he requires waivers next year, so he's gunna be in the NHL. Play Bob 45-50 games, ease Knight in at 35ish. Then the next year closer to 50/50 as Bob gets even older and Knight progresses

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It’s a sell low deal for both teams, but the long term potential reward definitely favors NJ. Although Holtz probably carries less risk at this point.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I’d throw Schmid in too if Florida wants a cheap backup coming in. I think Florida may want to move off of Knight but I don’t know that Holtz is the right fit for them.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Devils fans, it doesn't seem that long ago that Holtz was a valued prospect. Now he's in a bunch of props. Has he developed poorly or has he fallen out of favor and is he just the most movable piece?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils fans, it doesn't seem that long ago that Holtz was a valued prospect. Now he's in a bunch of props. Has he developed poorly or has he fallen out of favor and is he just the most movable piece?
He’s been fine, definitely has his warts but he can’t beat anyone out for top 6 minutes and he’s a waste in the bottom six. He’s most certainly the easiest piece to move.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He’s been fine, definitely has his warts but he can’t beat anyone out for top 6 minutes and he’s a waste in the bottom six. He’s most certainly the easiest piece to move.
He'll likely get 1 more year and then, if he is to be moved, it will be when he's an RFA. Although if the team is high on Clarke, and wants veterans, they may move Holtz who'd have the higher trade value and give clarke that middle 6 winger role

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
First of all, props to you for coming up with a very compelling trade proposal.

Does Florida have a roster spot for him? Yes. He could be the heir apparent to Vladimir Tarasenko on that third line with Luostarinen and Lundell. New Jersey also has a roster spot for Knight.

Would NJ want to trade Alex Holtz for Spencer Knight? That’s complicated. While Holtz hasn’t produced as much as they would’ve hoped, however he may be a more valuable asset in the trade market. They could potentially acquire a better goalie with him as the centerpiece of the deal.

Would Florida want to trade Spencer Knight for Alex Holtz? Bobrovsky is 35 years old and there is absolutely no contingency plan for his retirement. Spencer Knight is supposed to take over that position. While Knight may never become a starter at the NHL level, it might be too big of a risk if he does pop off.

I think both teams say no to a one for one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If I'm Florida, and I still believe in Knight, who I just spent 4 years developing, no chance am I trading him for a winger of all things.

Bob is great, but has already shown he needs rest and is only getting older. Spending $15m on goaltending isn't ideal, but a quality capable backup is gunna cost at least $1.5-2m anyway.. so there's not a big difference between that and Knight's $4.5m.

Other than spending a few extra million, Knight is still a great sucession plan for Florida. I believe he requires waivers next year, so he's gunna be in the NHL. Play Bob 45-50 games, ease Knight in at 35ish. Then the next year closer to 50/50 as Bob gets even older and Knight progresses
Issue is cap hit at $4.5 million. Giving Knight that kind of contract, would have meant that FLA had intended for him to be their #1 guy either this current or next season (at the latest).
What does FLA have to sacrifice to keep Knight? Have to figure that out.

As for Knight, he's best served going to a team that has some runway for him to continue to develop, vs be counted on as the team's bonafide #1 goalie heading into the season.

Teams with runway, are like Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, Philly, Columbus, Washington, St. Louis, San Jose, Los Angeles, Utah, Calgary. Others that can use a goalie, but are going to be more dependent on him going good would be like NJ, Ott, Edm, Pitt, Tor.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I wish NJD had the leash to be able to take that shot on knight but unfortunately I don't think we do.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I would do it but I’m not very high on Holtz.

I think his shot is great, as advertised, and his playmaking is very underrated. The issue is that he’s not good at putting himself in position to take advantage of his skillset. His off puck play is bad, probably fixable. I’ll also say he’s gotten a very raw deal - the team was rolling when he was first called up and then he was in Ruff’s doghouse irrationally for the next season playing fourth line minutes (as opposed to someone like Mercer who was often just as bad and took forever to lose ice time).

I actually think FLA would be a great spot for him. Clearly a strong locker room, expectations are high and they’ve gotten strong two way play from young guys. I think they’d be able to do more with him but NJD needs more experience and defense in the bottom six and Holtz hasn’t earned time next to Jack, and it’s not learning time anymore. So unless you’re precocious like Nemec, there won’t be much leeway anymore.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Issue is cap hit at $4.5 million. Giving Knight that kind of contract, would have meant that FLA had intended for him to be their #1 guy either this current or next season (at the latest).
What does FLA have to sacrifice to keep Knight? Have to figure that out.

As for Knight, he's best served going to a team that has some runway for him to continue to develop, vs be counted on as the team's bonafide #1 goalie heading into the season.

Teams with runway, are like Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, Philly, Columbus, Washington, St. Louis, San Jose, Los Angeles, Utah, Calgary. Others that can use a goalie, but are going to be more dependent on him going good would be like NJ, Ott, Edm, Pitt, Tor.
The difference between Knight and a backup capable of playing enough games to give Bob his required rest is only about $2-3m. In the grand scheme of things that's not too bad.

Florida is actually a great place for him to develope too. Good team so he'll be protected. Only has to play 35ish games. Luongo as a mentor doesn't hurt either

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The difference between Knight and a backup capable of playing enough games to give Bob his required rest is only about $2-3m. In the grand scheme of things that's not too bad.

Florida is actually a great place for him to develope too. Good team so he'll be protected. Only has to play 35ish games. Luongo as a mentor doesn't hurt either
But Bob is the highest AAV goalie, at $10 mill of those active since Price is ltir. Vasi at $9.5 is next and TB goes cheap for backup to keep them up to $11 mill most likely. Only 2 $8 mill goalies with Helly and Sorokin next season. Isles come in at $11 mill next season with Varly and the Jets probably above $10 mill and maxing out at $11 mill. Gibson is at $6.4 then Marky and Binnington at $6 mill.

If they opt to keep Knight, they can. Just have to scarifice in another area. Just the reality of a hard cap world. They would be $3.5 mill in goaltending higher than any other club.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad