**NHL 15 thread** Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
I think they recorded 7 different "intensity" levels. So I'm not worried about this gameplay.

Yup, so much for having Doc's normal, real-life reactions in regular season games, eh. Even on that goal with 0.1 second left, he sounded like he was at the bottom end of a grave depression. Maybe if we score in a Stanley Cup Final Game 7 OT winner with 1 second left we'll get the good ol' ''ScaaaAaaaaAare'' from Doc...

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
A couple things in response to (the often ridiculous things) I've read on this thread

1. AI: programming AI in a sports games is inherently difficult in any sports game due to the constant moving parts and those expecting perfect AI will be disapointed for a long time. A lot of you reminse over the 2K games which lagged way behind EA in this way; breakouts were designed in much the same way a point guard brings the ball up in a basketball game. I can't begin to understand the love the 2K series gets.
On the topic of AI, I've seen some disparage NHL compared to Fifa. Please play Fifa against a person and get back to me. Fifa 14 is a lovely looking/sounding game, but the AI from CBs (especially with lob lead passes) is far more frustrating than anything in the NHL series.

2. Commentary

The biggest complaint I've read about this is that it's to monotone/laid back. Ask yourself if you would rather play a game that consistenly has game 7 overtime type commentary or something from a meaningless game 22. I'm hoping that big games do influence tone, but regardless I'd rather have toned down rather than over the top. Maybe that's just me.

3. Games modes
There's not a single reasonable source that suggests EASHL isn't on next gen. Games have marketing schedules that are well thought out and planned far in advance. Furthermore, they're not subject to change based on .5% of the consumer base's illogical concerns. Relax, it'll be there

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
A couple things in response to (the often ridiculous things) I've read on this thread

1. AI: programming AI in a sports games is inherently difficult in any sports game due to the constant moving parts and those expecting perfect AI will be disapointed for a long time. A lot of you reminse over the 2K games which lagged way behind EA in this way; breakouts were designed in much the same way a point guard brings the ball up in a basketball game. I can't begin to understand the love the 2K series gets.
On the topic of AI, I've seen some disparage NHL compared to Fifa. Please play Fifa against a person and get back to me. Fifa 14 is a lovely looking/sounding game, but the AI from CBs (especially with lob lead passes) is far more frustrating than anything in the NHL series.

2. Commentary

The biggest complaint I've read about this is that it's to monotone/laid back. Ask yourself if you would rather play a game that consistenly has game 7 overtime type commentary or something from a meaningless game 22. I'm hoping that big games do influence tone, but regardless I'd rather have toned down rather than over the top. Maybe that's just me.

3. Games modes
There's not a single reasonable source that suggests EASHL isn't on next gen. Games have marketing schedules that are well thought out and planned far in advance. Furthermore, they're not subject to change based on .5% of the consumer base's illogical concerns. Relax, it'll be there
You should post more often, good post.

ThunderBuddy

Apr 20, 2014

2. Commentary

The biggest complaint I've read about this is that it's to monotone/laid back. Ask yourself if you would rather play a game that consistently has game 7 overtime type commentary or something from a meaningless game 22. I'm hoping that big games do influence tone, but regardless I'd rather have toned down rather than over the top. Maybe that's just me.

3. Games modes

1. Yes, AI development for sports games isn't the easiest thing out there, BUT we're mostly talking about basic things here. Also from what I've read people aren't praising FIFA because of its AI. The overall experience, the menus, FUT and gameplay in general is a lot more polished. Just give FUT a try and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yes, NHL has got a smaller development team in comparison to other series, but there are still features that should be implemented regardless. Not even mentioning all the bugs that are completely ignored by the devs.

2. No need to jump from one extreme to another. As far as commentary goes - it's all about balancing things out. I personally wouldn't even bother with it at all - allocate the resources elsewhere(especially since they've got such a small dev team).

After the first few months people will get bored and we'll be back to the square one - it'll be just annoying background noise.

3. Yes, there are no official announcements from EA themselves, but we've seen covers from multiple retailers that suggest a different story. Sure, they could get a thing or two wrong in a description, but the actual cover that was most likely provided by EA? Obviously they are not gonna rush to stop these rumors(hell, it might even build up more hype for the release), but I definitely I wouldn't go around posting "Relax, it'll be there" messages.

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Even if EASHL isn't in the game when it's released, has it occurred to anyone that the mode will be patched in a little down the road? Like maybe patch it into the game around October/November to keep the game fresh? Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and would be better than not getting it at all.

F127

Feb 10, 2007
I'm not going to speculate about EA's marketing plans and practices but with a game scheduled to release shortly EA's choice to not come out and end the EASHL speculation is clearly hurting pre-orders which is going to have an impact on first quarter sales projections. Any way you slice it, marketing plan or not it is bad business.

It would take 1 tweet from EA to say EASHL is still in the game, don't worry to end what has become harmful speculation. I really don't know if it's in the game or not but I only play EASHL so I won't be buying the game if it's not included.

F127

Feb 10, 2007
Even if EASHL isn't in the game when it's released, has it occurred to anyone that the mode will be patched in a little down the road? Like maybe patch it into the game around October/November to keep the game fresh? Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and would be better than not getting it at all.

If EASHL is the only game mode you play, or the main reason you buy the game would you buy the game on the hope it might be patched in at a later date? I guess EA might let it be known that this was their plan at some point but that's not been their style so far.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Doc doesn't sound nearly as excited in the gameplay vid as he does on TV. I've never heard him sound so somber before.

Sometimes he sounds this way when the Pens are losing.

I don't care anyway. I much prefer Thorne to Emrick, but I've always muted his commentary. It's all too repetitive for my taste.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I'm not going to speculate about EA's marketing plans and practices but with a game scheduled to release shortly EA's choice to not come out and end the EASHL speculation is clearly hurting pre-orders which is going to have an impact on first quarter sales projections. Any way you slice it, marketing plan or not it is bad business.

It would take 1 tweet from EA to say EASHL is still in the game, don't worry to end what has become harmful speculation. I really don't know if it's in the game or not but I only play EASHL so I won't be buying the game if it's not included.

It likely only hurts pre-orders if EASHL is actually in the game at release. Otherwise, I don't see what they lose by holding it back until the last minute if EASHL isn't in the game, because those people hell-bent on EASHL or not buying will just cancel their pre-orders anyway once they learn whether or not it is in. Perhaps they hope to persuade people to keep their pre-orders by showing them more game play leading up until the release, instead of talking about game modes? There's not much else EA can do in this scenario if EASHL isn't in the game. Marketing 101 is talking about the bright spots of a product and doing your best to not shed light on its weak spots, and if you have to (and you will) keep it as minimal as possible. I am afraid they may be taking this route and hoping they still win people over with the changes they did make.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I think this is why all of us see other games and think they're better than the NHL series. While the other games have more guys working on them/a bigger budget, it's our own knowledge and understanding of hockey that makes the NHL franchise seem so lackluster.

I'm a FIFA addict but no, it really doesn't.

I think that is definitely a fair point. We do nitpick a lot, because we want a perfect game, which in regards to hockey, is something that will most likely never happen. And like I said, I'm far from a soccer fan, so I guess it's a little tough for me to tell if something mimics the real life version. It just seems to so much more so than the NHL series.

Saying all of that, it does still look like an improvement, and something that is fun to play, as it always is.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Soooo.... take this with a grain of salt, but on the EA boards I saw two things

1. Someone who tested the game in Canada tested OTP on xbox one.

2. Someone who tested the game in Finland said there was a game mode called Live the Life Online on xbox one.

Might not be true, but it's fun to think about

TopTittie

Jul 26, 2006
Soooo.... take this with a grain of salt, but on the EA boards I saw two things

1. Someone who tested the game in Canada tested OTP on xbox one.

2. Someone who tested the game in Finland said there was a game mode called Live the Life Online on xbox one.

Might not be true, but it's fun to think about

NBA2k14 has a mode that looks like OTP because you just drop in a random game, and like Live the Life Online because you play as real NBA players. If this is what NHL is doing it still doesn't replace EASHL at all.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

It shouldn't be taken out at all. Not to mention that knowing EA they'd charge you to download it as a DLC.

ThunderBuddy

Apr 20, 2014

Wishful thinking. You might as well believe that they're gonna implement multiple unannounced features after the initial release.

Simply put: people want hard facts and most won't commit to a product without full information. This franchise is gonna take a big hit if they've removed EASHL.

They had 2 years and all they could come up with was a cut down list of gamemodes, fancy graphics and flapping jerseys? :laugh:

If the game mode remains the same, who cares how many players are on the back of the box?
Sure thing, but why would they change the description in the first place if the mode is left untouched? Doesn't make any sense...

Last edited:

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Gameplay looks pretty good actually.

Commentary is definitely lacking. It needs to be more dynamic, but it's definitely not an easy thing to do.

I've always wondered why they don't just compile all the commentaries from actual games and put them in the game. Would be 1000x more phrases, and be more dynamic and realistic.

I'll be interested to see what changes/improvements have been made to Be a GM/Be a Pro. EASHL isn't abig deal to me, I usually just do online vs. when I play online.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wait, all of this is from something on the back of a cover?

Looooooool

That makes this even funnier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad