NHL 12 Dynasty Thread Part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
DEFENSIVE ADJUSTMENT
December 22, 2012

Portland, Oregon - The Portland Pylons added winger Brenden Morrow a month ago in an attempt to address their scoring woes. The move worked, as Morrow has added better than a point per game of offense, replacing Matt Moulson's 5 points in 20 games on the top line.

However, the added scoring didn't translate into wins, as the club was still giving up a 28th-ranked 3 goals per game. Today, Pylons GM Chibi Pooky made a move to shore up the defense, moving out Greg Zanon, who had struggled with a team-worst -20 and 57 giveaways in only 23 games. Zanon was traded along with winger Matt Martin and a first round draft pick in 2014 to Montreal for shutdown defenseman Josh Gorges and a third round pick this year.

"Josh not only adds speed and skill to our blue line," commented Pooky, "he also brings a great deal to the penalty kill with his shot blocking ability." The 28-year old Gorges has 3 goals and 6 assists in 33 games this year, but more importantly, has a +7 rating and only 30 giveaways in over 600 minutes of play. "Gorges is one of the most reliable defensemen in the league," said coach Pooky. "He'll immediately improve all aspects of our game."

Gorges was surprised by the move. "I didn't expect to be traded," he told reporters. "I'm looking forward to joining a great organization in Portland and helping them push for their first ever playoff berth." If there's one thing Gorges knows about, it's playing the underdog, as his Canadiens have played the upset role multiple times in the past few playoff years, upending the top-seeded Washington Capitals in seven games after trailing 3 games to 1 in the series, and defeating the defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins to advance to the conference finals. "I've been there before," said Gorges, "and that's experience that I can add to the team."

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
LIDSTROM RETURNS TO ALL-STAR GAME
January 29, 2013

Portland, Oregon - When the Portland Pylons signed defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom in the offseason, they knew they were getting the greatest defenseman of our generation. Lidstrom continues to cement that legacy with his umpteenth All-Star selection, the team's only representative. With a team-leading 26 assists going into the break, Lidstrom is a huge part of why the Pylons are over .500, sitting in 22nd in the league and 12th in the Eastern Conference at 23-21-6. The Pylons have surged since acquiring defenseman Josh Gorges and winger Brenden Morrow, and now find themselves a mere 5 points out of the playoffs. "We know we're a playoff team," said captain John Tavares. "Every morning we wake up and check the standings, and know we can be better."

In order to be better, the first step is to find some success on the road. While a very respectable 15-8-4 at home, the Pylons suffer greatly while away from the Rose Garden, posting an 8-13-2 record in other teams' buildings.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
SCHULTZ-DOWN DEFENSE
February 19, 2013

Portland, Oregon - The Portland Pylons made another move to address defense today, sending RW Niclas Bergfors and a third round pick in this year's draft to Minnesota in exchange for defenseman Nick Schultz. Bergfors had 5 goals and 13 assists in 58 games, mostly on the third line. Schultz potted 3 goals and 18 assists with a -3 rating.

"I'm grateful to Portland for giving me a second chance in the NHL," Bergfors said, "and now they've sent me to a team where I'll have a great opportunity to thrive." Bergfors was stuck on the third line in Portland.

"That team is going nowhere but up," said Schultz upon learning he was traded. "They've made some very shrewd moves to address needs. I just hope I can be the next piece of the puzzle that pushes them over the hump and into the playoffs." Portland is 5 points behind 8th place New Jersey with 6 games in hand, and 4 points behind 9th place Montreal, who has a game in hand on the Pylons.

With the trade deadline looming, many Portlanders are wondering if more moves are coming. "I wouldn't rule it out," said GM Chibi Pooky. "I've used up most of my ammunition, but there could be a deal or two left if things fall right."

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
DEADLINE DERVISH
March 7, 2013

Portland, Oregon - Chibi Pooky wasn't kidding when he said he might have a trade or two up his sleeve. At today's trade deadline, the Pylons GM made the following deals:

Sent | To | Received
Mark Katic + POR 4th 2013|SJS|SJS 2nd 2013
Ty Wishart + POR 3rd 2014|BOS|BOS 1st 2013
Andrew MacDonald|NSH|Teemu Laakso + NSH 1st 2013

"I traded from a position of depth," Pooky said at this evening's press conference. "I wanted to add talent up front, but the deals weren't there. However, I did receive calls about adding some great draft choices, and the opportunity was too good to pass up."

As the Pylons fight for a playoff spot, every move is critical. "We did lose depth along the blue line today," said Pooky, "but I feel that these moves will not hurt the organization in the short term, and will have strong long-term benefits." Portland now has four selections in the first round of this year's draft. The Pylons also claimed defenseman Johnny Oduya on waivers.

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
GM Mackenzie Selects 6 New Canucks In 2012 NHL Entry Draft
June 23, 2012

The Vancouver Canucks used their first pick in the draft, 59th overall, to draft Nail Yakupov. Last summer, many though Yakupov would go first overall in this year's draft, but he slipped considerably due to a variety of reasons.

"I think he has tremendous upside," said GM Mackenzie. "This kid has tons of talent. I'm sure some GMs were afraid he would bolt back to Russia, but I'm not very concerned."

The Canucks spent many of their picks on defensemen, picking up highly-touted prospects Ryan Murray (119th overall), Griffin Reinhart (149th overall), and Slater Koekkoek (178th overall). "I think all these guys could've gone in the first round," Mackenzie said. "I'm really not sure why they slipped so far. Our scouts were very high on these guys."

With their final two picks, the Canucks selected forwards Radek Faksa (179th overall) and Tom Wilson (209th overall). Faksa is a big, skilled sniper with good skating ability. Tom Wilson is expected to become a big, mean power forward in the league some day.

Canucks Summary:

#59 - Nail Yakupov (LW)
#119 - Ryan Murray (LD)
#149 - Griffin Reinhart (LD)
#178 - Slater Koekkoek (LD)
#179 - Radek Faksa (C)
#209 - Tom Wilson (RW)

Top 10 picks:

#1 - COL - Craig Duininck (RD)
#2 - PHX - Liam Maaskant (RD)
#3 - BOS - Mark Tremaine (LW)
#4 - WSH - Toni Kallela (RW)
#5 - TOR - Ruslan Sergeev (LD)
#6 - PHI - Zach Franko (LW)
#7 - OTT - Gregory Jambrosich (C)
#8 - CBJ - Mitch Guiel (RW)
#9 - NYR - Zach Hall (C)
#10 - DET - Johnny McGuire (RW)

Trade Summary:
To NSH - Chris Neil (RW)
To NYI - Mike Rupp (C), 2012 2nd Round Pick

To CHI - David Steckel (C), 2013 4th Round Pick
To DET - Derek Grant (C)

To PHI - Oskars Bartulis (D)
To ANA - Matt Hendricks (C), 2013 4th Round Pick

To OTT - Andreas Nodl (RW)
To WSH - Marcus Foligno (LW), 2013 3rd Round Pick

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
PLAYOFF PUSH
March 6, 2013

Sunrise, Florida - With just four games remaining in the regular season, the Portland Pylons are in 8th place in the Eastern Conference. They lead the New Jersey Devils and Ottawa Senators each by one point. New Jersey has three games remaining, while Ottawa has just one. Ahead of Portland's 84 points are the Florida Panthers with 86 points, and the Buffalo Sabres with 88 points. Florida also has four games remaining, and Buffalo has two contests left.

"We have to make it," says John Tavares. "These fans have put so much energy and faith into this team - we WILL make it," Tavares continued. "Is that a guarantee?" asked the many reporters crowding around the team's leading goal scorer. "Yes," Tavares said, "and it starts tonight." The Pylons face off against the Panthers here in Florida in less than four hours. They will then face the Hurricanes and Capitals before returning home to square off against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the regular season's final matchup.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
TAVARES SCORES AS PYLONS WIN IN SHOOTOUT
March 6, 2013

Sunrise, Florida - It didn't take John Tavares long to show that he meant business after his playoff guarantee whipped Portland fans and media into a frenzy. He scored the game's first goal just 4:43 in, and the Pylons took a critical game in Florida 3-2 in the shootout.

"This is a huge win for us," said Tavares after the game. "We need every point we can get right now." This is when the team's veterans are expected to lead - and lead they did. Brenden Morrow assisted on Tavares's goal, while Paul Mara assisted on both Pylons goals.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
PLAYOFFS!
March 9, 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina - The Portland Pylons needed just one point in their remaining three games to clinch the eighth and final spot in the Eastern Conference. They got two tonight, defeating the home Carolina Hurricanes 3-1, for their second consecutive win since captain John Tavares's guarantee. The Pylons' captain has scored 1 goal and 1 assist in the two games. "We're not done," said Tavares. "There's a lot more work to do."

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
2013 EASTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS

#1 Washington Capitals
:caps
LW​
|
C​
|
RW​
Alexander Semin|Brooks Laich|Alexander Ovechkin
Marco Sturm|Marcus Johansson|Joel Ward
Cody Eakin|Matt Hendricks|Jason Chimera
Jeremy Boyce-Rotevall|Jim O'Brien|Chris Mueller
LD​
|
RD​
Karl Alzner|Mike Green
John Carlson|Jeff Schultz
Tom Poti|Dennis Wideman
G​
Tomas Vokoun
Michal Neuvirth
Injured​
Troy Brouwer
Nicklas Backstrom

#8 Portland Pylons
:yashin:
LW​
|
C​
|
RW​
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau|John Tavares|Brenden Morrow
Kyle Okposo|Frans Nielsen|Michael Grabner
Travis Moen|Dominic Moore|Josh Bailey
Daniel Winnik|Vernon Fiddler|Colin Fraser
LD​
|
RD​
Nicklas Lidstrom|Nick Schultz
Josh Gorges|Travis Hamonic
Paul Mara|Nicklas Grossman
G​
Rick DiPietro
Dwayne Roloson
Injured​
None

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
GOING GOLFING
April 23, 2013

Portland, Oregon - The first playoff run in franchise history was a short one. The top-seeded Washington Capitals made short work of the Pylons, completing the four-game sweep earlier tonight, not even seeming to notice the absence of top center Nicklas Backstrom. The Capitals defeated the Pylons by scores of 5-1, 6-4, 4-1, and 2-0.

"Of course we're disappointed," said John Tavares. "We worked hard all season to make the playoffs, and to not even win one game - we were never even close." The future is bright, though - Portland holds four picks in the first round of the upcoming NHL Draft, and the Bridgeport Sound Tigers were on the other end of a first-round sweep, eliminating the Springfield Falcons in four games to advance to the AHL Eastern Conference Semifinals.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
2013 SEASON REVIEW

Stanley Cup: Calgary Flames
Presidents' Trophy: Washington Capitals
Art Ross Trophy: Mikko Koivu
Hart Memorial Trophy: Tomas Vokoun
Norris Trophy: Dan Boyle
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Marian Gaborik
Calder Memorial Trophy: Alex Stalock
Conn Smythe Trophy: Miikka Kiprusoff
Vezina Trophy: Tomas Vokoun
Selke Trophy: Pavel Datsyuk
Maurice Richard Trophy: Marian Gaborik

Pylons Leaders:
John Tavares, 32G 38A 70P +14
Brenden Morrow, 24G 38A 62P +4
Frans Nielsen, 24G 36A 61P +3
Michael Grabner, 27G 33A 60P +2
Kyle Okposo 24G 33A 57P +6

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Offseason in Review: Vancouver Canucks
September 1, 2012

The Vancouver Canucks, after failing to win the Stanley Cup in game 7 for the second year in a row, had a huge turnover in their roster. 11 players retired and a few more were traded to free up salary cap space. Cheap replacements were also brought in due to salary reasons.

Forwards:
In - Denis Hamel (Free Agency), Scott Nichol (Free Agency), Kyle Calder (Free Agency), Brayden Schenn (Trade)
Out - Teemu Selanne (Retired), Jason Arnott (Retired), Matt Cullen (Retired), Daniel Alfredsson (Retired), Ray Whitney (Retired), Ryan Smyth (Retired), Marc Savard (Traded)

Obviously, the loss of talent is staggering and the talent brought in pales in comparison. The Canucks still have a loaded Top 6, but their depth is going to be tested if they run into injury problems. Jaromir Jagr and Saku Koivu were both re-signed to 1-year deals worth $4.5M and $3M respectively. Brayden Schenn will likely battle Koivu for the #3 center role in training camp. Hamel and Calder were also brought in, although it's unclear if they're going to fulfill NHL positions or AHL positions. The bottom 6 roles are expected to be primarily filled by youngsters.

Defensemen:
In - Doug Janik (Free Agency), Roman Josi (Trade), Calvin de Haan (Trade)
Out - Roman Hamrlik (Retired), Adrian Aucoin (Retired), Willie Mitchell (Retired), Sergei Gonchar (Traded), Kimmo Timonen (Traded)

Once again, a lot of talent heading out and not nearly as much coming back, which may pose depth issues for the Canucks if injuries arise. The three defensemen who retired didn't play key roles for the Canucks last season, although the two who were regulars. Unfortunately, with a combined cap hit of $11.835M between the two of them, they were prime candidates for the trading block. Filip Kuba was re-signed to a 2-year, $8M contract and is expected to slot into the top 4 next year. The right side of the blueline remains virtually unchanged from last season with Dan Boyle, Kevin Bieksa, and Stephane Robidas all remaining with the team.

Goaltenders:
In - David Aebischer (Free Agency), Wade Dubielewicz (Free Agency), Stephen Valiquette (Free Agency)
Out - Martin Brodeur (Retired), Johan Hedberg (Retired)

Hall-of-Fame goaltender Martin Brodeur finally called it quits at the age of 40 alongside long-time goaltending partner Johan Hedberg. The duo was stellar for the Canucks last year and Brodeur likely would have been the favourite to win the Conn Smythe had they won game 7 of the finals. Devan Dubnyk will take over the starting role for the team and the 3 free agent goaltenders are expected to battle for the backup role in training camp.

Trade Summary:
To CHI - LD Sergei Gonchar
To VAN - LD Roman Josi, 2013 1st Round Pick

To NSH - C Marc Savard, 2013 2nd Round Pick
To VAN - LD Calvin de Haan

To CBJ - LD Kimmo Timonen, 2014 2nd Round Pick
To VAN - C Brayden Schenn

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
:habs The Gazette :habs
Montreal Canadiens Edition

[FIELDSET="Tuesday March 12th 2013 - Pacioretty injured ; Etem recalled"]
Pacioretty has been injured tonight against the Carolina Hurricanes, a game which the Montreal Canadiens won 2-1. He was hit by Tuomo Ruutu in the middle of a second period and fell awkwardly on the ice, hurting his ankle. The injury doesn't seem too serious as the Canadiens' doctors announced he would miss between one and two weeks.

In the meanwhile, Emerson Etem will lace them up for the first time in the NHL. His mandate will be heavy as he will replace Atkinson on the second line, who himself replaces Pacioretty of the first line.

Emelin is also expected to be back in around 2 weeks, after breaking an arm at the end of February.

On a sidenote, Wheeler is still looking for his first point in the Habs uniform.[/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="Wednesday March 20th 2013 - Pacioretty and Emelin receive green light to play on Friday"]
Pacioretty and Emelin will lace 'em up in two nights against the Carolina Hurricanes. It will be a crucial game for the team as they stand 4 points short of a playoff spot with 71. (31-31-9)

Coach Therrien is glad to have both back and expect them to help the team. He also commented on Wheeler's play since his acquisition, as he still has no points in 7 games with the team. Therrien told the medias he was not worried and that Wheeler needed some time to adapt to the new team.[/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="Thursday March 28th 2013 - Nightmare for the Montreal Canadiens"]
As if things could not get worst, as the team now has lost their 5 last games, they team learned this morning that center David Desharnais would be out for the reminding of the season following a concussion he suffered yesterday against the Buffalo Sabres.

Peter Holland has been recalled, and Jonathan Huberdeau is expected to replace him on the second line, composed of Cole and Atkinson too.

Despite acquiring Blake Wheeler and Marc Stuart at the deadline, the Canadiens have not been abled to win a lot so far, as they now stand 7 points short of a playoff spot with 8 games remaining.[/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="Monday April 15th 2013 - They did it !"]
The Montreal Canadiens accomplished what people thought would be impossible. Winning 6 of their last 8 games, the Canadiens passed over the Senators and made the playoffs.

Carey Price have played an important role in this run, as despite his injury, he still leaded the league with a GAA of 2.01 and a SV% of 93.2 with 45 games played.

Wheeler's acquisition has also finally paid off, as he got 10 points in these 8 last games.

The Canadiens will be matched up to the Toronto Maple Leafs, best team in the Eastern Conference (55-24-3), during the first round.[/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="Tuesday April 16th 2013 - Desharnais getting better"]
David Desharnais was certainly not expected to recover that quickly from his concussion. As things stand, he could be up to play in the second round, if the Canadiens were to beat the Maple Leafs.

"Everything has gone better than expected. I don't have constant headaches anymore, so that is great news. However the team prefer to wait a few weeks to make sure I'm completely recovered. I hope I'll be able to play again this season", said Desharnais.[/fieldset]

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Roster, Opening Day Line-up Set
September 30, 2012

Opening day roster:
A. McDonald ($4.700M) - S. Crosby ($8.700M) - M. St Louis ($5.625M)
V. Prospal ($2.500M) - N. Backstrom ($6.700M) - J. Jagr ($4.500M)
D. Hamel ($0.525M) - B. Schenn ($0.870M) - S. Glennie ($0.870M)
K. Calder ($0.525M) - S. Koivu ($3.000M) - N. Niederreiter ($0.870M)

A. Edler ($3.250M) - D. Boyle ($6.665M)
F. Kuba ($4.000M) - K. Bieksa ($4.600M)
R. Josi ($0.875M) - S. Robidas ($3.300M)

D. Dubnyk ($3.500M)
D. Aebischer ($0.525M)

Healthy Scratches: S. Nichol ($0.650M), D. Janik ($0.525M), A. Delmore ($0.525M)

Total Salary: $67.800M
Salary Cap: $70.200M

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
:habs The Gazette :habs
Montreal Canadiens Edition

[FIELDSET="Saturday April 27th 2013 - Desharnais back for 6th game"]
David Desharnais is set to play tonight during the 6th game. Back in training since about two weeks, Desharnais doesn't feel any post-concussion symptoms.

His comeback will be greatly appreciated by coach Therrien as the team's second line has been struggling, Atkinson, Huberdeau and Cole only getting one point each in five games.

The Canadiens are trailing the series 3-2. [/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="Sunday April 28th 2013 - Canadiens eliminated in 6 games after a controversial decision"]
The Canadiens lost 3-2 against the Maple Leafs yesterday, who get to pass to the second round. However, Habs' management team is still angry at how the game was decided.

Late into the third period, as the game was tied, Maple Leafs' forward James Van Ryemsdyk pushed Carey Price, who lost his balance, clearing the way to a powerful shot right into the goal by their captain Dion Phaneuf. There were only 10 seconds remaining on the clock.

Coach Therrien could not understand how there was no interference called on the play, as earlier in the game, the Habs were refused a goal after Wheeler barely touched Leafs' goaltender Jussi Rynnas.

Meanwhile, the Hamilton Bulldogs are making their way into the 2nd round of the AHL playoffs. [/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="Tuesday June 11th 2013 - Sabres win the Stanley Cup"]
After losing the cup to the Nashville Predators last year, the Buffalo Sabres took it home this year, winning in 6 games against the Chicago Blackhawks. This is Lindy Ruff's first Stanley Cup with the team as a coach - a team he has coached for more than 10 years ![/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="2012-2013 NHL Season Stats"]
Top Scorers
-Ryan Getzlaf (93)
-Joe Thornton (92)
-Nicklas Backstrom (88)
-Anze Kopitar (87)
-Steven Stamkos, Pavel Datsyuk, Joffrey Lupul, Eric Staal (85)

Top Goalscorers
-Patrick Marleau (50)
-Alexander Ovechkin (43)
-Jeff Carter, Sidney Crosby, Bobby Ryan (39)
-Tuomo Ruutu, Patrice Bergeron (37)
-Kris Versteeg, Steven Stamkos, Eric Staal, Patrick Hornqvist (36)
[/fieldset]

Next up - Awards, Draft

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Sorry for the length, please read!

Calgary+Herald+logo2.gif

Flames 2014-15 Regular Season Wrap-Up

There were many question marks at the beginning of this season for the Calgary Flames. How will the Flames be without Miikka Kiprusoff? How well Jacob Markstrom do in his first full season? Will Josh Harding be a good backup? Was the Voracek trade worth it? Will rookies Raphael Lafontaine and Jonas Brodin shine in their new roles?

Each one of these questions has a positive answer. Without their long-time starting goaltender, Miikka Kiprusoff, the Flames still won both their division and the Western Conference, only coming two points shy of winning the President's Trophy. The team had a record of 48-23-11, which earned them 107 points.

Jacob Markstrom and Josh Harding split the season's starts, each getting 48 and 34 games respectively. Their stats were both good, and can be seen down below in the stats section.

In the offseason, the Flames pulled off a controversial trade that sent Miika Kiprusoff, Alex Tanguay, and Roman Horak to Philadelphia in exchange for Jakub Voracek. The Czech Republic native had a great offensive season, scoring 37 goals and 75 points. He played on a line with rookie centerman Raphael Lafontaine and winger Chris Stewart.

Heading into this year's campaign, many analysts wondered if the earlier-mentioned rookie forward Raphael Lafontaine was NHL ready at the age of 18. He proved to everyone in the hockey world that he is ready for the big leagues, scoring 21 goals and 54 points. He won the rookie scoring race by 15 points, and is considered a shoe-in for winning the Calder Memorial Trophy for rookie of the year.

Rookie defender Jonas Brodin also stepped up this season, playing alongside Anton Babchuk. He scored 3 goals and 27 points, while being a plus player. He received plenty of special teams ice time as well.

Individual Stats
(Goals/Assists/Points)

Forwards
Anze Kopitar - 24/52/76
Jakub Voracek - 37/38/75
Corey Perry - 35/39/74
Chris Stewart - 25/46/71
Mike Cammalleri - 28/37/65
Raphael Lafontaine - 21/33/54
Matt Stajan - 12/19/31
Blake Comeau - 10/10/20
Lee Stempniak - 8/12/20
Curtis Glencross 12/8/20
David Moss - 10/7/17
Derek Mackenzie - 3/10/13

Defensemen
Kevin Shattenkirk 12/36/48
Mark Giordano - 10/34/44
Dennis Wideman - 9/34/43
Jonas Brodin - 3/24/27
Bryan Allen - 2/18/20
Anton Babchuk - 1/10/11

Goalies
Jacob Markstrom - 2.34 GAA/.918%
Josh Harding - 2.29 GAA/.917%

Coming up next, in the Western Conference Quarter Finals:

:flames vs. :nashville

Last edited:

dustyrockon

Feb 25, 2009
Calgary+Herald+logo2.gif

Flames 2014-15 Regular Season Wrap-Up

There were many question marks at the beginning of this season for the Calgary Flames. How will the Flames be without Miikka Kiprusoff? How well Jacob Markstrom do in his first full season? Will Josh Harding be a good backup? Was the Voracek trade worth it? Will rookies Raphael Lafontaine and Jonas Brodin shine in their new roles?

Each one of these questions has a positive answer. Without their long-time starting goaltender, Miikka Kiprusoff, the Flames still won both their division and the Western Conference, only coming two points shy of winning the President's Trophy. The team had a record of 48-23-11, which earned them 107 points.

Jacob Markstrom and Josh Harding split the season's starts, each getting 48 and 34 games respectively. Their stats were both good, and can be seen down below in the stats section.

In the offseason, the Flames pulled off a controversial trade that sent Miika Kiprusoff, Alex Tanguay, and Roman Horak to Philadelphia in exchange for Jakub Voracek. The Czech Republic native had a great offensive season, scoring 37 oals and 75 points. He played on a line with rookie centerman Raphael Lafontaine and winger Chris Stewart.

Heading into this year's campaign, many analysts wondered if the earlier-mentioned rookie forward Raphael Lafontaine was NHL ready at the age of 18. He proved to everyone in the hockey world that he is ready for the big leagues, scoring 21 goals and 54 points. He won the rookie scoring race by 15 points, and is considered a shoe-in for winning the Calder Memorial Trophy for rookie of the year.

Rookie defender Jonas Brodin also stepped up this season, playing alongside Anton Babchuk. He scored 3 goals and 27 points, while being a plus player. He received plenty of special teams ice time as well.

Individual Stats
(Goals/Assists/Points)

Forwards
Anze Kopitar - 24/52/76
Jakub Voracek - 37/38/75
Corey Perry - 35/39/74
Chris Stewart - 25/46/71
Mike Cammalleri - 28/37/65
Raphael Lafontaine - 21/33/54
Matt Stajan - 12/19/31
Blake Comeau - 10/10/20
Lee Stempniak - 8/12/20
Curtis Glencross 12/8/20
David Moss - 10/7/17
Derek Mackenzie - 3/10/13

Defensemen
Kevin Shattenkirk 12/36/48
Mark Giordano - 10/34/44
Dennis Wideman - 9/34/43
Jonas Brodin - 3/24/27
Bryan Allen - 2/18/20
Anton Babchuk - 1/10/11

Goalies
Jacob Markstrom - 2.34 GAA/.918%
Josh Harding - 2.29 GAA/.917%

Coming up next, in the Western Conference Quarter Finals:

:flames vs. :nashville

Nice write up man! Your teams having more success then mine as it stands. And I'm getting very lazy with my write ups lol... Ill have a season review soon as well

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Nice write up man! Your teams having more success then mine as it stands. And I'm getting very lazy with my write ups lol... Ill have a season review soon as well

Thanks! I get lazy with this sometimes as well, but it's fun. Can't wait to read your season review!
My Calgary team always seems to get a lot of overtime losses in the regular season, but I guess I can't complain because we've won the division every year. Hopefully this year will be our year to capture the cup. I'll simulate and post the first round tomorrow.

TheTimTamSlammerMan

Jul 29, 2011
Long Island
The trophy winners for my team are Pejorative Slured. Last year mu defenceman won the Conn Smythe with 28 points in 21 games. For some reason he won it again this year with only 10 points in 24 games and a +/- of 9. RoR had 24 in 24 and my best d-man this season and playoffs had 15 points in 24 games. And was a +11. Kind of stupid. Now he's an instant HHOFer with 4 Norris' 2 Conn Smythes and a Hart.

dustyrockon

Feb 25, 2009
masthead2.jpg
DUCKS FINISH 15TH IN WEST
getzlaf-ryan_584.jpg

Despite coming off one of their worst seasons, captain Ryan Getzlaf managed to set a new career high in goals with 35. And his 2nd best season for total points since 2008 which was good for 9th overall in the league this season. Jaromir Jagr also had a great season recording 65 points in 82 games 14 points better then his previous season. Its a shame he probably wont be around for another season, and this might have been his last chance at the ever so coveted Stanley Cup.

Rookie Nail Yakupov had a great debut with the club, recording 34 points in 49 games. However burdened with injuries and lack of production later in the season, he was sent down to Juniors where he was expected to grow stronger physically, and should get a second calling next season.

Center Patrik Berglund saw a minor drop in his production since last season recording only 48 points in 82 games, 4 points less then his first full season with the Ducks. He only socred 13 goals compared to his career high of 26 the season before. Bobby Ryan on the other hand who was traded at the start of last season has recorded 73 and 72 point seasons with over 30 goals each season. Berglund is still a very big player on the puck and is still expected to grow into a solid 60-70 point player.

'I feel as though I have let down many fans with this disappointing season... I hope people can look passed this season and see the potential our team has for the upcoming years. With players like Rattie, Yakupov, Berglund, Maatta, Jenkins and our three first round picks this year I feel it wont be long before we are out of playoff contention along with being cup contenders.' - Tom Renney

[FIELDSET="TOP DUCKS SCORERS"]
Getzlaf - 82GP - 35G - 49A - 84PTS
Perry - 82GP - 33G - 41A - 74PTS
Jagr - 82GP - 22G - 43A - 65PTS
Berglund - 82GP - 13G - 35A - 48PTS
Fowler - 82GP - 5G - 43A - 48PTS
Bickell - 82GP - 22G - 16A - 38PTS
Cumiskey - 82GP - 5G - 30A - 35PTS
Yakupov - 49GP - 17G - 17A - 34PTS
Stoll - 64GP - 16G - 17A - 33PTS
Beauchemin - 82GP - 8G - 24A - 32PTS

Hiller - 47GP - 21W - 16L - 2.79GAA - .907SV% - 1SO
Deslauriers - 36GP - 12W - 18L - 3.45GAA - .875SV% - 0SO
Bobkov - 6GP - 0W - 5L - 4.28GAA - .830SV% - 0SO
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="TOP LEAGUE SCORERS"]
PIT - Crosby - 82GP - 43G - 57A - 100PTS
TB - Stamkos - 82GP - 45G - 49A - 94PTS
WAS - Ovechkin - 82GP - 48G - 43A - 91PTS
PIT - Malkin - 82GP - 44G - 44A - 88PTS
CHI - Hossa - 82GP - 32G - 56A - 88PTS
CAR - E. Staal - 82GP - 35G - 52A - 87PTS
OTT - Spezza - 81GP - 22G - 64A - 86PTS
NYI - Tavares - 82GP - 42G - 42A - 84PTS
ANA - Getzlaf - 82GP - 35G - 49A - 84PTS
CHI - Toews - 82GP - 21G - 63A - 84PTS

PIT - Fleury - 66GP - 42W - 18L - 4SO
WIN - Pavelec - 64GP - 42W - 17L - 13SO
NYR - Lundqvist - 68GP - 39W - 22L - 4SO
[/FIELDSET]

dustyrockon

Feb 25, 2009
masthead2.jpg
FLAMES WIN CUP, JAGR WILL PLAY ONE MORE SEASON
Fans_Oct1.jpg

The Calgary Flames have finally won the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1989. Which may not seem like a long time, but with an aging lineup, it was now or probably never for some players on their roster.

Great news for Ducks fans, as Jagr has announced he wants to play another year in the NHL. Will he choose to sign with the Ducks again after having such a let down season, or will he opt for a more cup contending team. 'I loved every minute I played here in Anaheim. The fans were great and never stopped showing their love and support for myself and the whole team despite a losing season. I would love to return if the money is right.' Commented Jagr in the question and answer period after his statement about remaining one more year.

[FIELDSET="NOTABLE RETIREMENTS"]
ANA - Toni Lydman - 866GP - 247PTS
BOS - Pavel Kubina - 1011GP - 424PTS
DAL - Nicklas Lidstrom - 1576GP - 1142PTS
FLA - Ed Jovanovski - 1124GP - 540PTS
LA - Ryan Smyth - 1216GP - 828PTS
NSH - Milan Hejduk - 1074GP - 830PTS
NYI - Marco Sturm - 1039GP - 567PTS
OTT - Sergei Gonchar - 1210GP - 790PTS
PHI - Kimmo Timonen - 1054GP - 536PTS
TB - Martin St. Louis - 1021GP - 942PTS
NJ - Martin Biron - 566GP - 252W

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="AWARDS"]
Stanley Cup - Calgary Flames
Presidents - Carolina Hurricane
Art Ross - Sidney Crosby (2nd Consecutive)
Hart Memorial - Sidney Crosby
James Norris - Joni Pitkanen
Lady Byng - Steven Stamkos
Calder - Eric Tangradi
Conn Smythe - Mikka Kiprusoff
Vezina - Roberto Luongo (2nd Consecutive)
William M. Jennings - Ondrej Pavelec
Bill Masterson - Matt Greene
Frank J. Selke - Pavel Datsyuk (2nd Consecutive)
Ted Lindsay - Sidney Crosby
Maurice Richard - Alex Ovechkin

[/FIELDSET]

Last edited:

dustyrockon

Feb 25, 2009
masthead2.jpg
DRAFT DAY
draft2013.png

With the 5th, 11th and 24th overall picks, the Ducks wasted no time drafting offense. Not a single defense man was picked in the first round by the Ducks. Which is no surprise considering they have the likes of Maatta, Reilly and Ceci coming up and accelerating quickly in their development. Also Tom Renney did mention that he was trying to move up to third overall to pick Trent Lofthouse but could not work a deal out with Florida's General Manager Dale Tallon.

Rumor was going around on draft day that several teams were interested in young defender Luca Sbisa. One offer from Calgary was Ryan Howse a 1st round pick in 2014 for Sbisa alone. In the end Renney made the right decision keeping the young two way defender.

[FIELDSET="DUCKS DRAFT PICKS"]

1. 5th Overall - Adam Erne, RW
2. 11th Overall - Sergey Kuptsov, RW
3. 24th Overall - Raphael Lafontaine, C
4. 64th Overall - Ludvig Bystrom, D
5. 94th Overall - Brent Pedersen, LW
6. 154th Overall - Aleksander Barkov, C
7. 184th Overall - Jeff Corbett, D
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="PROSPECT ANALYSIS"]
Adam Erne, 1st round 5th overall
Height: 6'2
Weight: 211Lbs
Prediction: Erne has everything it takes to be a top line RW who plays a two way game

Sergey Kuptsov, 1st round 11th overall
Height: 6'3
Weight: 218Lbs
Prediction: He may need a little more development time then Erne but should be a future 1st - 2nd line RW

Raphael Lafontaine, 1st round 24th overall
Height: 5'10
Weight: 165Lbs
Prediction: Lafontaine has great upside, but will need to grow stronger physically before seeing any time in NHL, 2nd-3rd line center

Ludvig Bystrom, 3rd round 64th overall
Height: 6'1
Weight: 184Lbs
Prediction: For a 3rd round pick, Bystrom is not that far off from being NHL ready, 1st or 2nd pairing two way defender.

Brent Pedersen, 4th round 94th overall
Weight: 203Lbs
Prediction: Pedersen may have the size and strength for the NHL at only 17 years old, but his skating and ability to put the puck in the net are lacking, He will need plenty of development and could see a 3rd line LW role in the future

Aleksander Barkov, 6th round 154th overall
Weight: 197Lbs
Prediction: Barkov may never see time in the NHL, but being as young as he is he may develop into something in Juniors, potential 4th line center

Jeff Corbett, 7th round 184th overall
Weight: 177Lbs
Prediction: Could be a steal in this years draft. Has size, skill and is good in both ends of the ice, still young and has great upside, could be a 2nd 3rd pairing two way defender
[/FIELDSET]

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
masthead2.jpg
Fans_Oct1.jpg

The Calgary Flames have finally won the Stanley Cup for the first time since 2004. Which may not seem like a long time, but with an aging lineup, it was now or probably never for some players on their roster.

Great news for Ducks fans, as Jagr has announced he wants to play another year in the NHL. Will he choose to sign with the Ducks again after having such a let down season, or will he opt for a more cup contending team. 'I loved every minute I played here in Anaheim. The fans were great and never stopped showing their love and support for myself and the whole team despite a losing season. I would love to return if the money is right.' Commented Jagr in the question and answer period after his statement about remaining one more year.

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="AWARDS"]
Calder - Eric Tangradi

[/FIELDSET]

Aw man, the CPU Flames won the cup before mine did? :laugh:
And by the way, just one minor detail, the Flames didn't win the cup in 2004. Great write-ups as always, though. Always a pleasure to read!

pensrule2011

Apr 5, 2012
Hey Guys, I'll be posting about Avs soon, had to get the computer fixed so didn't have the opportunity to post but its going to be about the Preseason and a "block-buster" trade :laugh:.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
masthead2.jpg
Fans_Oct1.jpg

The Calgary Flames have finally won the Stanley Cup for the first time since 2004. Which may not seem like a long time, but with an aging lineup, it was now or probably never for some players on their roster.

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="AWARDS"]
Calder - Eric Tangradi

[/FIELDSET]

Great write up man! I enjoy reading them!:yo:
One little issue with your post is that the Flames haven't won the cup since 1989!:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad