Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don’t know why people think Dubas is leaving Toronto. Lou is a fossil and that job is his pretty soon, perhaps as soon as next season.
Yeah the idea of them sticking together is a little out there. Dubas will replace Lou a hell of a lot sooner than anybody will replace Babcock.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That was a decade ago ... although to put things in perspective that Colorado team had Cody McLeod

yeah but he has also only had 2 years of head coaching experience since then, both in the NCAA. So, tough to say for sure IMO.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
So far I have seen only one beat writer, Colin Stephenson, suggest Clark Donatelli of the Penguins AHL affiliate. He might be a good one to consider.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think David Quinn is a realistic option if he wants it. New England guy. Fairly young. Has experience as an Assistant in the NHL and as a Head Coach in the AHL.

Nelson to me is an excellent choice as well. Similar to the NY Football Giants coach Pat Shurmer, had limited experience and got pretty decent results out of a complete mess. He's won at multiple levels.
I don't want Quinn. He is a better recruiter than coach. That BU team should have been undefeated with that talent that they had

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
David Quinn checks a lot of the boxes. I would not be surprised if he emerges as a finalist in the weeks to come.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Would be a terrible hire.

Agree, he's getting prime talent... but is he winning with them?

Jackson, who I mentioned a couple of years ago is a guy that does a lot with little. Very passionate, and is big on fitness, skating, and total team defense.

Travis Green, who came to the spotlight because of a recruiting scandal by Mike Johnston is a prime example of a guy coming out of nowhere, killing it, and then progressing.

IMO they're looking for guys like that. Keefe is a good example, but they could be looking at guys that got a look previously but needed more experience.

Mike Sullivan for example got a NHL head coaching job a year after retirement. Then was Tort's boy for the longest time, and now has two cups. Cassidy, Cooper, etc

You have a guy like Kevin Dineen who might be a dark horse candidate.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Granato, Keefe, Peters. 1-2 more college/AHL candidates added. Penguins AHL head coach possibly.

Other possibilities being Patrick Roy and Bylsma. Dont think Torts, who is notorious for benching/demoting young guys, should be anywhere near this team.

Oh and Patrick Roy’a chances are significiantly reduced because he called Holden is best defenseman...

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Granato, Keefe, Peters. 1-2 more college/AHL candidates added. Penguins AHL head coach possibly.

Other possibilities being Patrick Roy and Bylsma. Dont think Torts, who is notorious for benching/demoting young guys, should be anywhere near this team.

Oh and Patrick Roy’a chances are significiantly reduced because he called Holden is best defenseman...
If Gorts considers either Roy or Bylsma he should be in a straight jacket

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
To reiterate something I posted about a month ago (long before AV was fired)...a couple of my hockey friends have told me that DJ Smith will be an outstanding NHL coach. I did not hear this in connection with the Rangers job but just as a candidate in general. He's won a Memorial Cup as coach, assisted on two other Memorial Cup teams and spent the last three years as Babcock's assistant. He's a former NHL (journeyman) defenseman. He checks a lot of boxes and at a minimum, I would expect him to be on any short list. Keefe also appears to be an excellent candidate. Montgomery says he is happy in Denver but he is protecting his recruiting class...he almost got the Florida job last summer. Three very good candidates.

Can't tell you much more because I don't get to sit across the table from any of them.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Just read all that stuff about Keefe.

Not sure what to make of it. On one hand, seems like he was manipulated, on the other hand, I don't love that he still doesn't really accept Jefferson's account of being abused, even when he himself has the pictures of it.

Don't love that this kind of thing is even there with him but not sure how much of an impact it'd have on his work.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
All this Jeff Gorton talk about 'character' and I came across this tweet that Keffe liked. Found it interesting.

30582310_10157264064492564_835919164014067712_n.jpg

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I wonder if the JG is going to speak to Ruff about gauging his interest in returning as an assistant if the Rangers settle on a young guy like Keffe.

It would make sense for him to have someone like a Ruff on his bench.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Progressive minded. Able to adjust.

A couple of things:

1) I LOVE that he didn't give a cliche answer about leadership. Yes, leadership is extremely important for a coach but not the only thing and this was an answer that was a little more involved rather than "we're looking for a leader of men" like Dave Gettleman I believe said.

2) Listening to Gorton, Dave Gettleman, Jerry Reese makes me feel better about my work in progress soft skills. Are communication skills optional for a sports GM?

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad