Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Keefe makes sense, but given his relationship with Dubas, it might be hard to pry him away.

Krueger, Bennett, and Montgomery are interesting options as well. I can't see Bylsma or another NHL retread being amongst those considered.
Keefe is a fantastic coach, and although he has a great relationship with Dubas, I can't see the Leafs holding him back with Babcock there for a number of years still. I would be really sad to see him go, but would be happy for him to get a head coaching gig, especially with a great O6 franchise.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
What if it's the Rangers?

giphy.gif

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Interesting comments:

"Less about me and more about the organization"
"Ultimately it's a coaches responsibility to force himself to become a better coach."
"I want to work to get better and offer more to my players"
"The players teach you on a lot of days ... a lot of players do things that coaches can't teach. I've watched them closely and speak to them and try to figure out what makes them great."

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Montgomery prefers to stay put, honestly don't know if this guy would want to live in NYC:

"“I don’t even know if I would leave for an NHL coaching job,” Montgomery said recently. “The ability to win and live the quality of life for my family — the quality of life of being a good husband and dad, compared to an NHL coach — factors into that, plus the fact that we’re getting the (new) locker-room done. We love living here in Colorado, and it would have to take an incredible situation to leave here. Those things don’t come around very often.”"

- Jim Montgomery
Jim Montgomery, Denver Pioneers coach, might be in demand by NHL – The Denver Post

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Montgomery prefers to stay put, honestly don't know if this guy would want to live in NYC:

"“I don’t even know if I would leave for an NHL coaching job,” Montgomery said recently. “The ability to win and live the quality of life for my family — the quality of life of being a good husband and dad, compared to an NHL coach — factors into that, plus the fact that we’re getting the (new) locker-room done. We love living here in Colorado, and it would have to take an incredible situation to leave here. Those things don’t come around very often.”"

- Jim Montgomery
Jim Montgomery, Denver Pioneers coach, might be in demand by NHL – The Denver Post
OH WOW, hard pass then.

Reactions: TheTakedown

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Wonder if the team will take another step backwards next season or stay longer in the playoffs race / making it

I expect about the same, perhaps a bit worse. That's assuming they don't go out and sign Tavares this summer. I'm fine with two years as a non-contender...assuming they rebuild this thing the right way. Let the kids make the inevitable mistakes and such. Another strong draft in '19 to go with what will hopefully be a great one in '18 and we should have a solid core in place. No reason we can't be a playoff team in '20.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Keefe is a fantastic coach, and although he has a great relationship with Dubas, I can't see the Leafs holding him back with Babcock there for a number of years still. I would be really sad to see him go, but would be happy for him to get a head coaching gig, especially with a great O6 franchise.
My fear with Keefe is that he would end up where ever Dubas went to.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think David Quinn is a realistic option if he wants it. New England guy. Fairly young. Has experience as an Assistant in the NHL and as a Head Coach in the AHL.

Nelson to me is an excellent choice as well. Similar to the NY Football Giants coach Pat Shurmer, had limited experience and got pretty decent results out of a complete mess. He's won at multiple levels.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Babcock isn’t going anywhere. Dubas and Keefe are very close. Shanahan has a decision to make with the Leafs GM position. Lou is under contract for next season but not as GM. Shanahan has Dubas and Mark Hunter as GM’s in waiting. Lou might be back as GM. Only Shanahan knows. Dubas is probably the next GM in Toronto but Hunter isn’t staying to work under Dubas. It may not be next season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

As a Leaf fan, I don’t see anything wrong with his likes. He should want to see Keefe succeed. If the Rangers approached Keefe, he would likely take the gig if the Rangers are dead set on a rebuild and won’t fire him if he can’t improve based on one season.

I’m sure the Leafs would be sad to lose him but he wants to be a head coach and he won’t be that in Toronto.

He’s way better than Dallas Eakins but I thought that Eakins failure might cause teams to not look at Keefe as a strong candidate.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

- Jim Montgomery

I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to leave Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad