Next Possible Rangers Coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Benoit Groulx--Syracuse AHL coach---I even wonder about Scott Sandelin--who just won a national title for UMD. They have a really hard forecheck. Pionk played for him. Knoblauch, Bennett, Montgomery, Quinn. Keefe is effectively blocked from becoming an NHL head coach for the forseeable future sticking with the Toronto organization. I don't know why he would turn down a shot at an NHL job apart from he'd have to move.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I didn’t say I want him, hehe, I can guarantee you that I never liked him. Especially when he was in Nashville and everyone loved him sooo much I questioned him, I am sure it’s in the archives.

But one must have an open mind, right? To put it like this, I would be very surprised if we got Trotz and he didn’t do a very steady OK job, right? He would keep everyone on a really short leash, never let the team develop any bad habits, not wander off in the wrong direction in terms of Xs and Os at any length at least, players mostly like him. And so forth.

If we are throwing 10-15 names out there, I don’t mind putting Trotz in the mix. He is a low risk option. 2-3 years. He doesn’t have to be the one who is behind the bench when we start to discuss heading into the POs again.

I mean I'll give him credit for a lot of the player development that went on in Nashville, but I've hated him ever since he became the Caps coach. I don't disagree that he'd be an option, but I don't think he'd be the proper fit for what the Rangers want to do now. I don't see him, or someone like Sutter, signing up for a rebuild.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Supposed he wants to go with Dubas. They might be a package deal. Also Keefe kinda of scares me he has phenomenal infrastructure in Toroton. If you take him out of that you might not get the same results. I'm going Knoblauch

Highly doubtful that Philly will allow him to interview with the Rangers.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
No, but he has a very close relationship with some of the rest of the management group. Some people have a strong sense of loyalty.
If the close relationship goes both ways, I couldn't imagine Dubas would want or expect Keefe to spurn such a career opportunity.

Reactions: egelband

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No, but it depends on what Dubas' prospects are. If he thinks he's inline for a spot with a team who might be looking for a new GM, he could be hoping to take Keefe along with him. I guess we'll see.
Carolina wants that package. Not sure if they are willing to go to to Raleigh though Their new owner isnt messing around, but NC is a tough sell

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He is an assistant. I dont think they could block him from a Head Coach job; but you are welcome to correct me

Hakstol may get the boot after the Flyers are eliminated so the point may be moot, but even if they keep him I can't see them letting Knoblauch even so much as speak with the Rangers about the coaching job. They have every right (and reason) to deny the Rangers access here.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Dave Tippett looked like Ryan McDonagh with a mustache

dave-tippett-1994-53.jpg
LMAOOOOO

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Wonder if the team will take another step backwards next season or stay longer in the playoffs race / making it

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The thought of a coach to grow with the team is interesting. I don’t think we usually see the guy coaching the beginning of a rebuild last through the team contending.

Denis Savard never won the Cup with Chicago.
Ed Olczyk and Michel Therrien never won the Cup with Pittsburgh.
Terry Murray never won a Cup with the Kings.

We need to be prepared for this hire not leading us to success, but rather building the foundation for someone else to do so.

I agree with this. There are rebuilding coaches; there are winning coaches. Unfortunately for the former, you don’t really see how good a rebuilding coach is until a winning coach takes over his team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hakstol may get the boot after the Flyers are eliminated so the point may be moot, but even if they keep him I can't see them letting Knoblauch even so much as speak with the Rangers about the coaching job. They have every right (and reason) to deny the Rangers access here.
Didn't really answer my question but okay?

I don't think teams should have the right to prevent their assistants from interviewing for Head Coach, that's not really ethical in my opinion. In other sports you can't block assistants for interviewing for a promotion, and I don't see why Hakstol deserves to lose his job either. That team has over achieved. Especially if they can get past the Penguins.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Didn't really answer my question but okay?

I don't think teams should have the right to prevent their assistants from interviewing for Head Coach, that's not really ethical in my opinion. In other sports you can't block assistants for interviewing for a promotion, and I don't see why Hakstol deserves to lose his job either. That team has over achieved. Especially if they can get past the Penguins.

They do.

It's been that way forever.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well, I think starting the season without any newly signed players would probably mean 10-15 less points in the standings.
Is that going backwards for rebuilding team though? That doesn't want to win?

I think the only way they go backwards is by rushing the process and making sloppy short sighted moves like dealing the young forward core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad