News From Around the League - Part XXXVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I was reading this board when Claude Julien was fired by Lou and the consensus was that it was a good move. That team was very good and Julien went on to win a Stanley Cup with the Bruins, I still can't figure out what Lou thought was the problem :laugh:

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I was reading this board when Claude Julien was fired by Lou and the consensus was that it was a good move. That team was very good and Julien went on to win a Stanley Cup with the Bruins, I still can't figure out what Lou thought was the problem :laugh:

Believe I read it was player related. Im pretty sure I read he lost the team. I also read that it got to the point where players shot the puck at him in practice

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I happen to buy into the conspiracy theory with Julien. Lou wanted Sutter the year before. Sutter was not available then. Sutter was going to be available the next season. Lou would not be able to justify firing Julien if we went on a long run or possibly won the Cup. So he canned him before the season was ending at the most bizarre time. It made sense cause it was before the playoffs were starting.

I'm sure the puck shot happened too, and some other things. Remember Lou really wanted Sutter, and it was rumored that Lou even thought of Sutter as a possible successor to him as the GM.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

John Madden fired a puck at his head. That was the problem.

Also, the Devils roster at the time was nowhere near the 2011 Bruins in depth and talent. Don't be revisionist...

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Yeah, I think Babcock is 2nd. Claude Julien might be 3rd, which is bizarre.

That is bizarre. Just highlights that there is a lot of turnover in coaching positions from year to year. Hopefully DeBoer will beat the odds and be up there in tenure eventually too.

Also, the Devils roster at the time was nowhere near the 2011 Bruins in depth and talent. Don't be revisionist...

Ya, Marty dragged that Julien team to the playoffs. They weren't likely to get anywhere once in the playoffs, even if Julien stayed the coach.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The Bruins roster is much deeper and fits Julien's system like a glove. I don't think the Devils roster was, or would be, that good in that same time under Julien. Doesn't anyone remember Julienball? And how much we struggled to score after so many of our players had career offensive seasons the year before (yes I know it was the year after the lockout, but still.)

I really don't think he's a fantastic coach, but good on him for everything he has accomplished in Boston.

apice3*

Burke was Anaheim's GM when they won the Cup. They probably haven't forgotten each other.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I figured they were on bad terms if anything, since Burke gave away Bryzgalov minutes before walking out the door himself.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I just saw this news clip and was about to post it. WTF?

Seeing an out of work GM take a job as a pro scout isn't too surprising. Dean Lombardi it for Philadelphia after he got axed by San Jose in 2003.

I figured they were on bad terms if anything, since Burke gave away Bryzgalov minutes before walking out the door himself.

Burke didn't leave (November 2008) until a year after losing Bryzgalov (November 2007). Ducks were in a weird spot with Bryzgalov since they were trying to deal him during the season when most teams are already spoken for. Also hampering things was that Bryzgalov was UFA, so teams weren't willing to give up a ton just to see him leave.

At the time, the Kings were probably the most logical team who needed a goalie. Fans were upset that Lombardi didn't take a gamble on Bryzgalov. I vaguely recall Lombardi alluding to character concerns about him.

It just looked bad in retrospect since Vesa Toskala and Tomas Vokoun each got a first rounder+ at the 2007 Draft.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Seeing things getting wacky with the schedule isn't a surprise this season, like this Home and really Home with the Caps, but I noticed the Flyers have played 5 more games than the Bruins, that's 36% of Boston's season. :laugh:

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
Seeing an out of work GM take a job as a pro scout isn't too surprising. Dean Lombardi it for Philadelphia after he got axed by San Jose in 2003.

Burke didn't leave (November 2008) until a year after losing Bryzgalov (November 2007). Ducks were in a weird spot with Bryzgalov since they were trying to deal him during the season when most teams are already spoken for. Also hampering things was that Bryzgalov was UFA, so teams weren't willing to give up a ton just to see him leave.

At the time, the Kings were probably the most logical team who needed a goalie. Fans were upset that Lombardi didn't take a gamble on Bryzgalov. I vaguely recall Lombardi alluding to character concerns about him.

It just looked bad in retrospect since Vesa Toskala and Tomas Vokoun each got a first rounder+ at the 2007 Draft.

Vesa Toskala their is a name I have not heard in a while.:laugh:

apice3*

Only thing I remember about Vesa Toskala is that he gave up a "highlight reel" goal when Ovi scored on his back, 1v2. If you watch Toskala on that play, he does literally everything wrong.

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
Only thing I remember about Vesa Toskala is that he gave up a "highlight reel" goal when Ovi scored on his back, 1v2. If you watch Toskala on that play, he does literally everything wrong.

Don't forget the long shot he let in against the Isles.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't give Toskala too hard of a time for that. Remember Marty's highlight reel from game 3 or 4 of the SCF in 03? Or how about superstar Cam Ward's center ice floater earlier this week?:laugh:

That said, Toskala still sucked.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
I can't give Toskala too hard of a time for that. Remember Marty's highlight reel from game 3 or 4 of the SCF in 03? Or how about superstar Cam Ward's center ice floater earlier this week?:laugh:

That said, Toskala still sucked.

Oh god, don't remind me... I was at Game 3 in 2003...

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Well that was unprofessional, no reason to be shooting pucks at your coach! What's done is done but I don't think Julien was treated very well here

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Brian Burke going from GM to a scout isn't that funny. Brent Sutter out of the NHL, and needing to fire the coach of the WHL team he owns just to get a coaching job. Now that's funny. Of course not for the poor guy who's job he took to make himself relevant somewhere.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
i hate Burke, he doesn't know anything about hockey, he's terrible! He's embarrassing with his mouth. And he's a rat, he loves to stab other professionals in the back, he shouldn't even be allowed in the league, he should be in charge of charity. loud mouth *****.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
The fact that Burke is still relied upon for his opinions about hockey talent is absurd. He is perpetually stuck in a 2002 mentality that favors grit and brawn over hockey smarts and skill.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
a lot of people would say the same about Lou, concerning his ‘outdated’ ‘post-lockout’ mentalities. fan’s perception of upper management should be taken with a basketball sized rock of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad