News From Around The League - Part XXXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That plane just came back from Charleston South Carolina about 10 days ago! Must have been transporting Canes players to camp that's all I can think of. Cause you know Raleigh has no airport! Cause nobody's actually ever been to Raleigh!:laugh:

Seriously though $5.9 for Subban is a joke. No wonder why the Canadiens can't sign him. A guy's played two years in this league, and has proved squat and wants to be one of the highest paid defensemen in the league? I know it's just a rumor, but if we offer sheeted anybody though, then you can expect them to turn around and offer sheet Henrique this Summer. Lou's brain hasn't left for Mars yet, so I'm confident we wouldn't offer sheet anybody.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What would even be the rule hypothetically if we offer-sheeted someone? I suppose we'd just lose our first four eligible first-round picks, so we'd be out a first-rounder the next five years (but then which one the next two years would the other team get, this year's or next year's, and would they have to decide which one to forefit or would we have to fast-track the decision?), yeah that's not happening.

drew13btv

Oct 10, 2010
Burlington, VT
Thank you, sir, for pointing out at the end of that post how that would never happen in a New Jersey organization run by Lou. Anybody entertaining that idea as a possibility doesn't understand how he operates.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What would even be the rule hypothetically if we offer-sheeted someone? I suppose we'd just lose our first four eligible first-round picks, so we'd be out a first-rounder the next five years (but then which one the next two years would the other team get, this year's or next year's, and would they have to decide which one to forefit or would we have to fast-track the decision?), yeah that's not happening.

Here are/were the compensation levels set back in June:

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

As things stand we cannot make most of those offers since we don't have our 3rd (Zidlicky trade) and have to forfeit a first in 2013 or 2014. When Toronto was threatening to offer sheet Kessel, Burke had to first go and re-acquire a pick he had previously traded away.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Here are/were the compensation levels set back in June:

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

As things stand we cannot make most of those offers since we don't have our 3rd (Zidlicky trade) and have to forfeit a first in 2013 or 2014. When Toronto was threatening to offer sheet Kessel, Burke had to first go and re-acquire a pick he had previously traded away.

Yep forgotten aspect of Kessel trade is to get back the Leafs 2010 2nd rounder he had to give the Hawks the Flames 2011 2nd rounder + Leafs 2011 3rd rounder

Hawks ended up picking Brandon Saad in 2nd round and Michael Paliotta in 3rd round with those picks

GM17*

Yep forgotten aspect of Kessel trade is to get back the Leafs 2010 2nd rounder he had to give the Hawks the Flames 2011 2nd rounder + Leafs 2011 3rd rounder

Hawks ended up picking Brandon Saad in 2nd round and Michael Paliotta in 3rd round with those picks

AND LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT FOR THE BLACKHAWKS heyooooooooooooooooooo

:laugh::sarcasm:

apice3*

That plane just came back from Charleston South Carolina about 10 days ago! Must have been transporting Canes players to camp that's all I can think of. Cause you know Raleigh has no airport! Cause nobody's actually ever been to Raleigh!:laugh:

That plane was in Carolina? Definitely Subban's plane.

subban_joke_jersey.jpg

apice3*

I'm not sure that's how it works. The Blues offer sheeted Scott Stevens and got him from the Capitals for 5 first rounders, IIRC. The next year they offer sheeted Shanahan. Unable to immediately pay the first rounder compensation, we took them to court and got Stevens.

If we offer sheet someone and can't pay the price, we probably would have to go to some kind of arbitration.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm not sure that's how it works. The Blues offer sheeted Scott Stevens and got him from the Capitals for 5 first rounders, IIRC. The next year they offer sheeted Shanahan. Unable to immediately pay the first rounder compensation, we took them to court and got Stevens.

If we offer sheet someone and can't pay the price, we probably would have to go to some kind of arbitration.

I think they changed the rules since the early 90s. If you don't have your own picks to cover the potential compensation from the offer sheet, you can't tender an offer. Toronto had to reacquire a pick when Burke thought about offer sheeting Kessel. Vancouver quietly reacquired a 3rd rounder from Florida last year in the Booth deal which would have enabled them to extend offer sheets.

The Blues were involved in a bunch of offer sheets during that era which caused a few headaches. I can only imagine that the NHL wanted to eliminate the use of arbitrators if at all possible.

On a slightly unrelated note on things changing from the early 90s, the whole Lindros being traded twice debacle led the NHL to change the protocol on how trades are processed. The "trade call" is now required. Apparently it used to be an 800 number that teams were supposed to call. Initially a few GMs decided to have some fun and impersonate other GMs.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That plane was in Carolina? Definitely Subban's plane.

subban_joke_jersey.jpg

Oh my!:laugh:

Seriously though I don't want Subban for $5.9 million. We could get a forward for that much. That's one of the highest paid defensemen in the league if Subban does get that which I don't think he will anyway. Bouwmeester, and Suter are the only ones I can think of who make more than that.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK

Seriously though I don't want Subban for $5.9 million. We could get a forward for that much. That's one of the highest paid defensemen in the league if Subban does get that which I don't think he will anyway. Bouwmeester, and Suter are the only ones I can think of who make more than that.
Doughty, Cambpell, Weber, Chara, Karlsson.

Both Kieth and... wait for it... Dennis Wideman make almost as much. :laugh:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Doughty, Cambpell, Weber, Chara, Karlsson.

Both Kieth and... wait for it... Dennis Wideman make almost as much. :laugh:

Yeah I did forget Chara. Weber now with the offer sheet too. Doughty, and Karlsson are already making that much though?

Holy **** you ain't kidding! $7 million already for Doughty. He hasn't even been in the league 5 years! Karlsson I understand cause Ottawa isn't spending to near the cap. Still it's too much money for Subban. At least it is for us.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Just think about next year:

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Salvador
Subban-Volchenkov
*Merrill

Flip Hank for D'Agostini a 2nd/3rd line tweener and rotate Merrill in as needed.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Ken Warren ‏@Citizenkwarren
Trade speculation in Florida...Stephen Weiss a healthy scratch.

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards
#FlaPanthers Dale Tallon says he doesn't think Stephen Weiss' lower body injury is of big concern, says Weiss is d2d and not going on IR

apice3*

Weiss would be perfect for this team, IMO.

Put him on the 2nd line with Elias and Zubrus and we'd have the Josefson and Tedenby with Clarkson on the 3rd line, which has had plenty of chemistry in the past.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
My lord the Rags are a miserable team. Good to see Torts only using 6 forwards and 4 dmen

The 4 dmen thing was inevitable

Their bottom 2 guys last season were 5-10 minute a game players and they didn't make any changes this offseason to that situation whatsoever

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Weiss would be perfect for this team, IMO.

Put him on the 2nd line with Elias and Zubrus and we'd have the Josefson and Tedenby with Clarkson on the 3rd line, which has had plenty of chemistry in the past.

Especially if we could get Weiss for fairly cheap . Would be awsome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad